Turbo Dodge Forums banner
33K views 139 replies 27 participants last post by  yellonoma 
#1 ·
About time I open a thread for my extended restoration project:

1989 Chrysler (Canadian) Daytona Shelby T-top

A bit of history first:

This is an original British Columbia car, somehow made it across the country and fell into my hands in Nova Scotia. Very little rust, only rust is around e-brake grommet. Car was repainted at some point, but is an original black/silver car.

Paid $600 for it off my best friend, he bought it to save it from some guy who was moving out west. Buddy had already torn all the interior out of the car and shipped it out west (don't make sense to me?) but gave up on getting the car out west and decided to sell it. I was looking for a TD project and my friend did not need anouther project so I bought it off him.

At some point in it's life someone blew up the original 2.2 TII and threw in a 2.5 TI, but all the TII hardware (turbo, air cleaner, intercooler, transmission, etc) was still there. Come to find out that the original motor had a Super 60 package when it was blown and the S60 computer was still in it. Runs well with 2.5 TI computer, but S60 ran like crap obviously.

See less See more
#2 ·
Since there was no interior in the car from the start (my friend drove it home sitting on a bucket:thumb:, but since then we threw in some ES highback seats) I had to request a build sheet and figure out what the car came with.

According to build sheet I requested from Chrysler Canada:

Non - A/C car (1 of 42 Shelby's without A/C :shrug:)
Digital Dash
Gray Cloth Power Enthusist Seats
Infinity II stereo
Headlight module with "time delay" - uncommon as I come to find out
TII A555
Rear window wiper
Power locks, windows

#3 ·
I plan to restore the car to be a clean near stock show car / weekend warrior, near stock meaning engine mods of coarse.

Plans for the exterior:

• Paint it back to factory colors (lots of metallic to make it pop) with all the original Shelby decals.
  • New t-top seals
  • Powercoat wheels original gray color
  • Replace all brakes, poly bushings and shocks with new

Plans for interior:

• New carpet
  • Reupholster cloth power enthusist seats

Plans for engine:

• Rebuild a spare 2.5 TI, balance shafts removed, forged pistons (because I want to!)
  • Super 60 turbo
  • FWDP Stage 4 calibration (3 bar MAP, walbro fuel pump, +40% injectors, etc)
  • Larger - more efficient intercooler, front mount
  • All new sensors, ignition
  • Rebuild head and Performance cam (will choose when the time comes)
  • Poly engine mounts
  • Moly plate in tranny
  • TU Stage II clutch
  • Shelby Valve cover (because I love the way it looks)
  • Acid dip block and head, paint factory colors
  • New/rebuilt steering pump, alternator, water pump
  • Clean tranny and paint

Basically I want to show with the big boys and run alittle faster than most of them too! I want everything new on the engine and drive line, no going cheap, I want a new 1989.

#5 ·
Thanks STLShelbyZ

I spent most of last/this year collecting parts from and G-body I could get my hands on.

Parted out two 89 ES Turbo, two 89 Base TBI all at seperate junkyards.

The results?

#6 ·
Also wind of some rumored turbo dodge's layed to die in the middle of nowhere last fall. Went out on the hunt and was welcomed to an 89 Shelby T-top, 84 Turbo Z and several shelby chargers and omni's.

Parted out the two Daytona's and made some serious score, anouther set of t-top's and all the windshield trim and the ever so hard to find:

Going to use this steering wheel on the Daytona, like it alot better than the later styles.
Believe it or not that steering wheel was sitting in 10 years of open weather

#7 ·
Picked up an 88 Shelby Z in December to part out for $100, barn find but rusted to hell, surprised it made the 100km trip on the u-haul dolly, so rusted the k-frame seperated from the car backing into my drive way and I ripped out the seats with my bare hands, no frame rails were left either.

Was hoping to get a 2.2 TII block out of it but it was swapped out for an 85 2.5 TBI tall block. Worth it for the power enthusist seats I needed and the spare 555 tranny, TII intake and set crab rims.

Seen alittle house fire

#8 ·
Picked up a spare engine to build.. 89 2.5T, $200 on the stand.. ironically I bought this engine from a guy that use to own my car, the engine was originally destined to be built for my car but he sold the car and kept the engine in his garage. Now it's back with the car :thumb:

#12 ·
Haha cats nutz woke me up this morning :thumb:

Picked up some goodies worth posting, thanks to Dr. Johnny Dodge, inline6er,
radiant_red (and ebay!). Real good guys to deal with!

Yes, I needed/wanted one:D

Infinity II

The Bibles

#13 ·
No pics or progress, been building a cheap shelter for the car to keep the weather and earth from it.

For reference.. i've been having an unsuccessful time trying to find a t-top headliner, I picked up a mint hardtop headliner in hopes that I can cut to fit. I put it up into place last night and it looks like it shouldn't be a problem at all. Just need to carefully cut of the t-top holes and the hole for the front interior light because the headliner came out of a plain jane base model. It's odd though that the hardtop headliner has a padded section that looks like it is the exact size of the t-top holes on each side..

#14 ·
^^
The ( hardtop headliner) IS dimensionally exact to the 'T,T' cars.
(A&B pillar mount points, push pins, hardened body screws ...? 18 ?.

Post up pics of Your fab skills...

P.s., 'blue tape' the layout lines, add 1/8 to same, finish cut with an Exacto
& steady hand.

Respects, mech1nxh

#15 ·
For the headliner, I pieced together a rotton t-top headliner and laid it on the hardtop board and traced, I have to say that the hardtop shape is much different as far as curves go, than the t-top board, however it's flexible so it will fit in place. I'll snap a pic of the trace, but I won't fabric-ing it until the car is painted.. which is going to be while.

In the mean time I did some serious work to get the 12 button navigator and Infinity II radio to work, with success.

The navigator needed buttons, re-flowed solder joints, a new beeper and bulbs.

Alittle story on that, the beeper (MuRata P# PKM25-6A0) is very unique and obselete, and has been for a very long time, after days of searching I found a supplier in California that, according to them, has the last 51 NOS in the world. I bought 7 if anybody needs one, about $5 a pop, solders in 3 pin thru-hole.

Also built a cheap / not so cheap shelter / garage for the Daytona, we have harsh winters and it has near-no rust so I plan to keep it that way. Floor is just a thick ass tarp on top of gravel with a framed in floor to drive on. The whole thing is held down by the car, works pretty friggen good, we have acouple hurricanes/tropical storms pass by and it didn't budge.

#16 ·
After trying out the nav and radio, took the old daytona out for a spin up and down the driveway half a million times with my daughter Salara, she loves the t-roof :thumb:

#17 ·
Progress!

Been tearing her apart, floors look good for a canadian car eh! Next step is to get everything electrical working, more so the illuminated entry and headlights.

There has also been a change of plans in the project, she's getting a System Check and Electronic Voice Alert installed (Thanks Jim34 for helping me out when I blew up my EVA). I have it halfway installed, pics and video to follow when it's done.

#18 ·
She is also getting sequencial tail lights installed, whipped this up at work with what I had laying around, going to screw it somewhere in the back hatch under the panels and out of sight. Pics and video of it working when I get time to install it. Got to figure out how to make it work with the (yet to be installed) EVA tail light outage sensor though, shouldn't be too big of a deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.