Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1986 shelby charger value

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dstratt01 
#1 ·
Car has roughly 50k original miles. Turbo 2.2 5 speed with AC. Garage kept and rust free. Texas car. Exterior looks to be 9/10 interior is 8/10. Anyone have a good estimate on value? NADA has it at $5800 high retail but cannot input mileage. I have a feeling that a beautiful original survivor is worth a little more for having such low mileage. Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like a nice SC! I personally think that is about right. That would be a fair price for both buyer and seller. Obviously, condition means EVERYTHING. An original survivor is almost always going to need some work. 30 year old car with 50k miles on it means that car has done a lot of sitting. Hopefully inside a garage rather than in the hot Texas sun. Almost always unrestored pizza wheels have clearcoat issues. Tires might have okay tread but could have serious dry rot and or flat spot issues. How old are tires? Original timing belt? Brakes could need new calipers and or wheel cylinders as brake fluid is hygroscopic. If all the hoses and belts are all original, those will need some attention as well. On the SC, the striping decals between the stripes and the car color most of the time have UV damage and are turning blue. My point is getting a unrestored 30 year car back into driving condition, will almost always require some additional money spent. You could easily add a couple grand (or more)to the total with just the parts I listed. So you would have close to 8k into it then.
Look closely at the clearcoat on the paint. Pictures hide a LOT. I know many 20-30K mile creampuff Mopar FWD cars that are showing signs of clearcoat failure. The paint quality just wasn't good back then. Car needing paint is VERY expensive to refinish.

#3 ·
Advice is much appreciated. I work as a professional mechanic and plan on doing a full preventative maintenance job to overhaul anything showing age. The car is listed locally but needs a headgasket due to coolant loss. Just trying to get a safe idea of final value once the car is as close to resto quality as possible. A low mileage shelby charger is absolutely worth saving and keeping to me. Would go perfectly with my 86 Daytona Z C/S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.