Myan Apocalypse totaled my 87 Daytona Shelby Z, what now? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > General > Discussing Shelbys

Discussing Shelbys Talking about numbered cars and other Shelby models

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
Myan Apocalypse totaled my 87 Daytona Shelby Z, what now?  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Datoyna Shelby Z
1/4: 0.000

DDBob is keeping the peace
Another Shelby Z bites the dust.
On Apocalypse day An 85 year old half blind woman that could barely see over the wheel and shouldn't be behind one, plowed into the back of my Z while I was at around 35mph and accelerating and there was at least 1 ¼ seconds of tire / brake squeal. Cop saw the whole thing and said she was flying. Must have because both cars were totaled. I was beyond pissed off for something like that to happen and I knew it was totaled. I drove crappy cars for 30 years and 300,000 miles and only got a scratched bumper.
They totaled mine for $2,680 because she crushed the left rear quarter panel. From looking at cars for sale I think that’s about $500 low but it’s hard to tell. Other than that the damage is not bad; left signal, fiberglass around it, rear bumper and 2 ½ mph bumper mount, all I can do myself. It was very good except the paint job and the only rust was light surface dust in susceptible areas that I cleaned up, even the rear hatch had zero rust. After two years of restoration, upgrades and only driving it about 5,000 miles it was better than ever and reliable. Confidence enough I drove it on a few long trips.
My problem is do I total it, keep it and fix it best I can, try to sell it whole or part it out? I don't want it to get ground up for scrap. It drives fine. If I tried to sell it whole what’s she worth? It’s got a slightly modded 2.5, stage 3 FWD computer, big front disk brakes off a 91, the super comfortable electric air seat, replaced suspension rubber with poly, new starter and belts, PM Module, 255 Walbro fuel pump, 225 tires have about 90 percent left. Only big problem is it has a 523 trans that has always shifted stiff.
Suggestions are appreciated.
DDBob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L Back quarter Panal damage 02.jpg (64.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg L Back quarter Panal damage 05.jpg (70.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 1987 002 Daytona.jpg (22.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 1987 003 Daytona.jpg (26.4 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Re: Myan Apocalypse totaled my 87 Daytona Shelby Z, what now?  
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.882

GLHNSLHT2 has really helped outGLHNSLHT2 has really helped out
Take it to a body shop and see what they'd charge to pull the metal back straight. Replacing the bolt on parts shouldn't be too tough and then you'd just need it resprayed. It doesn't look too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
TD New Guy

My Ride: Shelby Charger

spycker is keeping the peace
LOL @ thinking apocalypse day
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Turbo Z, 91 Shelb
Engine: 2.2-2.5

4Daytonas is keeping the peace
Very easy fix.I'm able to fix mine but even if you have to get a shop to do it it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe just get the metal pulled and you can replace the other stuff.$2600 is pretty good. Fix it!!
Totaled twice Last pic is now
moparsat.multiply.com/photos/album/14/James-Daytona
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James-Daytona-after.jpg (40.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 100-0612.JPG (50.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 100-3671.JPG (73.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
I wouldn't let them total it. Try to negotiate the $$$ without getting a salvage title.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
That looks very fixable, assuming the bumper impact absorbers did their job and there is no frame damage.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
TD New Guy

It’s hard to tell form the photos but the bottom is pushed in more than the top, it’s crushed like a pop can. As far as everyone can tell it’s the quarter panel and a tiny amount of interior but not the frame. Doing what James 4Daytonas did is amazing and way beyond my pay scale. I suspect the Total cost was pushed up because of new parts costs and their labor, not panel repairing. Washington requires insurance companies use new parts or equal, equal seems pretty vague to me. I checked and used replacement parts would cost less than $200 but according to the agent new are over $600. Additionally, labor costs to install everything, there's a lot of nuts and bolts holding that plastic bumper on. I’m going to hit a few body shops Monday for estimates.
I could total it, buy it back and just drive it as is. After the SeaHawks win today I’m driving 67 miles to Olympia and back, no worries about drivability.
If you think of anything more please reply.
I’m sitting on the fence as life has become rather hectic and will continue for the next few years so spare time’s at a premium. I was down sizing anyway and selling it was becoming a consideration. I just didn’t want to do it, if nothing else my ass has fallen in love with that electric inflatable drivers seat.
DDBob
Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
TD New Guy

Anybody know where to get the metal 2 1/2 mph absorber from the frame to the aluminum bumper??? If I get this repaired I'm seriously considering putting Styrofoam between the bumper and frame.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
take the total money and buy the car back for $300 or what ever the shell is worth to them. Then you'll have plenty of money to fix and paint it and have money left over to spend on the car in other places.

Put the stock bumper parts back on, they did there job lol.

This isn't a 2011 Dodge challenger where a total on the title is going to nuke the car. Take a lot of pictures of it including underneath at the frame so that any future owner can see how bad it was. As it isn't much and don't worry about it.

BTW being a west coast car I am sure it is mostly metal not rust lol. So it shouldn't be bad.

Some clown doored my Challenger 4 times to dent my rubber strip down the side of it at a Lowes parking lot. Hard to have anything nice today...

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #10
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 383 S Dakota, 87 Z

DodgeG24Man is keeping the peace
I wouldn't let them write it off and do the buy back option if it was mine.Just because once the insurance company writes off the car it will be a permanant mark on the cars VIN. Right now by the looks of the rear quarter panel it seems to be the only panel thats mildly damaged, It would be worse if the panel bent above the center of the wheel well above the tire as the inner well and out panel is welded there and would be prone to rust issues later on.I would definatly seriously reconsider the options you have available to you at this point the 87 shelby Z's are getting very rare to find in as nice of condition as yours appears to be in . Don't forget she hit you it's her insurance company that has to pay not yours. IMO Force them to fix it, BTW Mine is the 32nd Shelby Z off the production line it's a 1987 all original except the tires and is totaly rust free and with very low miles and I would never part with it ever.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
TD New Guy

The totaled price is $2,680 and buyback $275. Repairs (if I remove the bad parts & supply the good parts) it’s $1,400. I’m going to try to have it repaired.
Dstratt01 had parts I need listed for sale but he hasn’t responded to anyone since Dec 25th.
So if you have a rear bumper cover, tail lights, fiberglass that goes around drivers side tail light and one bumper absorber let me know.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Ballin' on a budget

My Ride: 86 Daytona TurboZ CS
Engine: 2.2 tI

Dstratt01 is keeping the peace
Just saw this and sent a reply. I have everything you need and could even cut the rear quarter if you need the metal to patch it. My day off this week is thursday so whatever i dont get stripped off the car tonight and tomorrow night will surely be done by thursday. Worst part will be trying to ship the parts...
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Cool Re: Myan Apocalypse totaled my 87 Daytona Shelby Z, what now?  
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 383 S Dakota, 87 Z

DodgeG24Man is keeping the peace
This site rocks! When it comes to helping someone out with a problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #14
TD New Guy

Working with Dstratt01 and I can't find on PMs where to put an attachment so have to do it here.
The fiberglass piece I need is called a “Panel Liftgate Opening Lower Closure”, it's number 11 on the bottom. It shows the passenger side, I need the drivers side.

I went to 5 body shops. The two I liked are Maaco ($1,440) and Sumner Collision ($1,520) who's a 2nd or 3rd generation body man, rodder and racer Kevin Viles. He looked at it for about 10 seconds and said he could pull it no problem. I know little about either so if anybody's got experience or heard about them let me know.
Thanks to everybody.
DDBOB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panel Liftgate Opening Lower Closure.jpg (20.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg L Back quarter Panal damage 04.jpg (75.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Ballin' on a budget

My Ride: 86 Daytona TurboZ CS
Engine: 2.2 tI

Dstratt01 is keeping the peace
Got it, Now I understand what you are talking about haha. Will include it with the taillights no extra charge. Just glad to see someone bring theirs back to life while mine has to bite the dust. Do you need the markers with the bumper too? I can't see if it got cracked in the picture or not. PM sent on all parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.