LeMons racing - 1992 3.0L Duster at Autobahn Country Club (Joliet IL) - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Videos of Turbo Dodges in action Submit your hyperlinks to your favorite Turbo Dodge videos

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: $500 Duster
Engine: 3.8L 6G75
1/4: 19.210

LeMons racing - 1992 3.0L Duster at Autobahn Country Club (Joliet IL)

Not sure how many people here are into road racing, but we're having a blast with our 1992 Sundance Duster.

Start of the race on Sunday when we still had "most" of our head gaskets and clutch left.

(link - in case embedded option is broken)

Second Driver, with appropriate accompaniment

(link - in case embedded option is broken)

Here's the car, for reference:

Last edited by Bayley; 08-04-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-04-2013, 04:40 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92 Duster
Engine: 3.0
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 11.500

Re: LeMons racing - 1992 3.0L Duster at Autobahn Country Club (Joliet IL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayley View Post
Not sure how many people here are into road racing, but we're having a blast with our 1992 Sundance Duster.

Start of the race on Sunday when we still had "most" of our head gaskets and clutch left.
http://youtu.be/z_-UkLP_xU0

Second Driver, with appropriate accompaniment

Embedding videos on TD requires clicking the youtube button and only entering the video code, not the complete link. Hit Quote on my post to see.

Here's the car, for reference:
Embedding videos on TD requires clicking the youtube button and only entering the video code, not the complete link. Hit Quote on my post to see.

Replace the headgaskets with cheap Felpro composite and torque the head bolts in multiple steps to 90ft/lb (turbo spec). They have a copper fire ring that helps deal with movement between the head and block and still seal. I have put a LOT of power through them without problems.

Maybe consider running 1 step colder plugs since things will get really hot over that time period.

What thermostat? Add water wetter?

I think I would also slightly overfill the transmission (and new fluid) by jacking the driver side up and filling it like that. That is a pretty common practice.

Are you running a larger oil filter? What oil? Check the oil pump clearances? Guessing you don't have an oil pressure gauge. Any dents in your oil pan? I think I would overfill the oil pan to avoid starvation when at high rpms (lots of oil in the heads).

High rpms miss could be as annoying as the ecu. Are you running a newish set of plugs and wires? I have never had this problem but I think Murphey did. I think if the distributor is giving the proper signals at low rpms its going to be okay throughout the range (some do have a harmless hiccup around 3k when worn out)

Put a little lucus breakin oil in the transmission. Lots of sulfur and zinc.

Torque the heads like this. Updated OEM twin turbo spec.

92 AP 11.5@125 3.0T
94 AA 12.9@106 3.0T
83 KP61
post #3 of 33 Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Consulier
1/4: 0.000

Awesome!

post #4 of 33 Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Thanks for the embedding help. Original post fixed. :)

Gonna try the FelPro this time around. We've been using the generic head gaskets (DNJ?) that come with the rebuild kits and something obviously isn't working. Also thinking about switching to head bolts in lew of bolts.

We tried running a step colder back in April with the original oil injected motor, but the 190,000 mile rings fouled them out pretty quickly. In all honesty, I've never had a positive experience running colder plugs in any motor. They would always foul out before any advantage could be had. YMMV.

I'd love to run water wetter, but rules explicitly say water only. Kinda sucked in April where we had to drain the block and radiator each night in preparation for ~20F nights. With the next race in November at Road America (Wisconsin), we could be doing the same thing again. On the plus side, it's easy to drain the system... just dump it in the grass.

Stock sized oil filter with synthetic 10W/30. Not a fan of thicker oil on OEM clearance motors. I thought about running Brad Penn straight 30 last June, but balked at the price. Not sure I want to run a straight weight in November.

I'm pretty sure the high rpm miss was detonation caused by water getting into the cylinder. I agree with your distributor analysis. An old racer once have me timeless advice: "if it's down low, it's ignition. If it's up top, it's fuel." His theory is usually right ~90% of e time. ;)

... and yes, we run plenty of zinc in our oil. Here we were, thinking we were all clever using a trick nobody else knew about.
post #5 of 33 Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1983 Dodge omni
Engine: 2.2l non turbo
Induct: N/A

That is so awesome I might just come up to Joliet and race my on I when ever the next one is. It seemed like you had lots of fun
post #6 of 33 Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

24hoursoflemons.com

Schedule and rules for anyone else willing to take part(y) in the chaos.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5

I was part of a Chump Car team (basically the same thing). It's a ton of fun. But it can be a huge headache too. We had a 2.0 DOHC VW Scirocco running on a home-brew intake/carb setup. It was a mean little car until a rental driver put it in the wall. Car crumpled like the tin can it is. Anyways, looks like the little P body was being competitive there for a while. I tried talking my team into doing a V6 K car, but they wouldn't go for it.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92 Duster
Engine: 3.0
1/4: 11.500

Stock head bolts have held 1000whp an run 170mph in the 1/4 with the right things done. Off the Shelf ARP's are not an upgrade and most people push coolant on big boosted motors sooner. The only upgrade is custom tool steel (no off the shelf right now unless ARP will sell you the more expensive sets they sell a certain racer, might be his personal design).
Copper spray the new gaskets as well.

Just be very picky about the torquing and use the specs above.
What is the thermostat?

Run the big filter. ph8a is the Fram part number that you can cross reference to other brands. I am too cheap to run a nice version of this style of filter. They are massive and fit great on the 3.0.

Is an oil cooler illegal? I wonder if your synthetic is still failing. I have never been one to purchase expensive oil but I dont torcher test it. I would run redline oil as the cheapest oil out there that doesn't break down with high heat that I know about. Mobil 1 synthetic is not comparable to their racing compounds and breaks down quickly with heat. Other cheap stuff should be the same.

Miss up top from ignition is spark blowout and does happen to me when plug gaps are too high.

BTW, there are cheap 100 dollar chrome rings from summit racing that would probably take the beating better. Do a hone and rering if that is reasonable for this car. I am running those in my daily. That and make sure the 2nd rings have a slightly larger gap then the top rings.

92 AP 11.5@125 3.0T
94 AA 12.9@106 3.0T
83 KP61
post #9 of 33 Old 08-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: '85 Dodge Daytona Z
Engine: 2.2L TI

That looks fun. Thought about doing that instead of the offroad derby racing that me and some friends do. Just didn't have any spare time this summer. There's always next year!
post #10 of 33 Old 09-16-2014, 03:20 PM
TD Extreme User!

Do you ever run ChumpCar with the Duster? They were just in Michigan last month.
post #11 of 33 Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 94Shadow,88Sundance
Engine: 3.0, 2.5T
1/4: 15.630

Hey, cool to see the car back on the track.
post #12 of 33 Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilcowRoland View Post
Do you ever run ChumpCar with the Duster? They were just in Michigan last month.
Nope, we stuck to just Lemons events this year. Once the car has proven itself to be a little more reliable, we would like to eventually branch out into Chump and / or some of the other budding endurance series. One of my drivers did the Chump MIS race last year in an E30 ('Back to the Drawing Board' team?) but he sat this year out to focus on the Duster instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit53 View Post
Hey, cool to see the car back on the track.
Yeah, well... sort of.

We had a little "too much" fun at Mid-Ohio this past Labor Day. We pushed the coolant temps up a little too high (sustained 215F ~ 220F), overheated the oil and eventually nicked a rod bearing... which, of course, wiped it out.

We fortunately caught it early enough and minimized the damaged to just the crankshaft Already got the replacement crank ready to drop in, just need to strip and clean the block first.

We had a blast at Mid-Ohio up until then. We were placed in the "advanced group" with cars that had +500hp and / or full blown racing slicks. Our 200hp (maybe) K-car on street tires received quite the ass whooping. Still had a blast though.

post #13 of 33 Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM
TD Extreme User!

That does look like fun. What event was happening at Mid-Ohio that you were on the track with brand new GT-500s?
post #14 of 33 Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Auto Interests "High Performance Driving Event" (HPDE)

...just a fancy name for an open track day.

autointerests.com
post #15 of 33 Old 09-17-2014, 11:44 AM
TD Extreme User!

Ah. Good stuff. I wasn't expecting the high-end cars when I started watching the video and suddenly I heard the supercharger whine coming up fast on the right. I'm sure that's not intimidating as you're praying your $500 Duster makes it around the track.

If you ever do get into ChumpCar, you need to make it down here to VIR. It's quite the road course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page