Lemons Racing at Road America - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Videos of Turbo Dodges in action Submit your hyperlinks to your favorite Turbo Dodge videos

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: $500 Duster
Engine: 3.8L 6G75
1/4: 19.210

Lemons Racing at Road America

Well, the pain from punching myself in the balls has finally settled down enough to the point where I can make a quick weekend wrap up.

Our #92 Plymouth Sundance Duster of the "Unified Partnership of Pentastar Racers" started out the weekend with high hopes and expectations. The test day on Friday proved that our suspension was dialed in perfectly (errr... as perfectly as a K-car cousin's suspension can be dialed in) and our motor was running REALLY strong. Without even pushing too hard, we were easily hitting ~115 mph at the top of the front straight. We were excited about the race!

Saturday morning came and we started the race strong. I started our "moderate" driver who's strong points are traffic management and ability to adjust to changing track conditions. He didn't disappoint. After an hour of driving, we were first in our class (B) and had the fifth fastest lap time out of 82 cars. On his 12th lap, our driver hit the car's best lap time of 3:09. Then the fun rapidly started to end...

Initially, the shifter cable popped off the shifter inside the car. We pulled into the hot pits and quickly jammed it back in place. No big deal, only lost ~60 seconds and maybe 5 or 6 positions. The bigger problem came a few laps later. The driver noticed a sudden loss of power and tried to limp it back into the pits. He made it into the exit road, but the car died trying to climb the hill to the paddock. We were brought back to our pits via the flat-bed of shame.

After pulling the head off we learned that a piston had been completely consumed by detonation and heat. We eventually learned that a small heater hose had split and emptied all the water from the cooling system. The oil cooler is the only thing that kept the car running for a long as it did.

After a few calls one of our drivers located a junk yard engine in Milwaukee somewhere. He runs down to get the new motor while the rest of us pull the wounded motor out. By 11pm we finally get the junk yard motor in the car and fired up. We were ready for Sunday.

The next day we hit the track with a lot less power... but at least we are racing! Everybody got a chance to flog the car but it was obvious that the head gasket was shot. We could only get about 3,500 rpm out of the engine before it would start to pop and miss. It was really frustrating, especially after having so much more power on Friday and Saturday morning.

To add insult to injury, something inside our shifting mechanism decided to quit and wasn't allowing us to use 2nd or 4th gear. Trying to scoot around Road America with a diesel engine rev limit and the widest possible gear ratio gap wasn't much fun. By ~3:30pm on Sunday we decided to pack it up and not piss any more people off on the track by getting in their way. We had our fun and I would have hated to screw up the incredibly close races for A and B classes.

It was quite the Freshmen year for our little Chrysler and we'll definitely be back next year with a motor that will hopefully last more than an hour or two.

-Andy

Enjoy the video.

Notable moments:

0:01:05 - Green Flag (seemed to surprise us)
0:01:05 - Following the #555 Ford Focus
0:03:15 - Land Shark Integra pass
0:06:04 - Lincoln Mark VII gets a point-by
0:07:40 - Apocalyptic Racing's Toyota Celica
0:16:20 - Following Team Sheen
0:17:30 - An angry beaver (AMC Gremlin with supercharged 3.8L V6!)
0:21:00 - Skid Marks gets a point-by
0:22:20 - The Conestoga wagon
0:23:45 - "We are not really from Iran" Ford Festiva, the car to beat in our class (B)!
0:26:35 - Passes the #38 Camaro to enjoy a brief lead in B-class
0:33:15 - Outside pass on the carousel (well done!)
0:36:36 - Finally gets around the #45 Porsche
0:41:20 - Following "Team Fiery Death" Toyota Celica
0:42:34 - Passes Team Fiery Death
0:42:35 - Toyota gods strike us down and remove shifter cable from shifter
0:44:30 - back on track
0:50:20 - Conestoga wagon again, racing with all it's got! :)
0:54:23 - Save the Ta-Ta's gets a point-by
0:54:43 - Splatos sneaks around behind the Ta-Ta's
1:02:22 - First signs of smoke from right front wheel well
1:03:10 - More smoke from wheel well
1:06:30 - Down on power, lost #1 cylinder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 94Shadow,88Sundance
Engine: 3.0, 2.5T
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.630

Re: Lemons Racing at Road America

The the last few minutes were painful to watch.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

How'd the relocated LCA mounts workout?

post #4 of 8 Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
How'd the relocated LCA mounts workout?
They worked incredible! Thanks for asking.

For this race, we ran 400# springs on all four corners. Everyone on the internet said this was a bad thing to do, therefore I knew it was the right thing to do.

For front struts, we used Koni adjustable struts from a 2nd gen Neon.

For rear shocks, we used Rancho RS5000s for a Toyota Tacoma. Note, these are significantly shorter than the stock shock lengths. What you see in the pictures is the MAXIMUM ride height for the rear.

The car was night-and-day different from our previous June race in Joliet. The harder you set the car into the corner, the better it stuck. We had no problems holding the same corner speeds as the fastest cars that were there. Changing the control arm geometry was hands down the best thing we did for the car.

The inside wheel traction is also significantly better, but there is still room for improvement. I think the lousy original sway bar mounts to the control arm are binding up even worse now that we've changed the geometry. Looking at switching to rod ends and hopefully free up some of the binding.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 94Shadow,88Sundance
Engine: 3.0, 2.5T
1/4: 15.630

Was this at gingerman raceway in south haven?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit53 View Post
Was this at gingerman raceway in south haven?
Nope.

Road America - Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
post #7 of 8 Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

Yea was watching the vid of you guys going through turn 6, the left hander before the big sweeping right, and thought, bet those sway bar bushings are binding causing the car to slide the front like that.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
Yea was watching the vid of you guys going through turn 6, the left hander before the big sweeping right, and thought, bet those sway bar bushings are binding causing the car to slide the front like that.
I think I got the rod-end idea from you.... right?

Any pictures or references on this project would be appreciated. I need to sell the idea to the team, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Being the team captain means I have a 50.1% voting stake in all actions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page