Turbo Dodge Forums banner

3.3L coughing in the midrange

Engine 
2K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  6g72 acclaim 
#1 ·
My 95 Voyager just started "coughing" in the midrange. Trying to pinpoint what's causing the issue.

Normal driving it seems fine, WOT it seems fine. In-between (1/2-3/4) throttle around 3k-around 4k I get what sounds like backfiring through the intake.

Recently replaced a leaky fuel rail, so I'm leaning towards a possible intake manifold gasket leak, but I haven't had time to dig into it yet.

#2 ·
Backfiring through the intake usually indicates a problem with fuel/ignition not happening at the proper time and/or in the proper amounts.

Are any fault codes stored in memory?

If no, here are Chryslers diagnostics for driveabilty issues with no fault codes or codes 51/52.

#3 ·
Backfiring through the intake usually indicates a problem with fuel/ignition not happening at the proper time and/or in the proper amounts.

Are any fault codes stored in memory?

If no, here are Chryslers diagnostics for driveabilty issues with no fault codes or codes 51/52.
I will start checking everything once we get some warm weather back, not dealing with it in 0* weather.
I have no fault codes, sorry for not giving that info.

#6 ·
Filled it up with gas Friday night, hasn't given me any issues since. Must have just gotten a tank of bad gas.

#10 ·
They are very hit or miss. I usually put gas in at the kwik trip by my work, but sometimes I have to use the BP or Cenex in town. Most times they're fine, sometimes I get shit gas and have to go through my vehicle running like shit for a week.

#12 ·
Never had an issue with kwik trip gas. BP is usually ok except their no-eth premium seems to be junk. Cenex's regular is hit and miss, but their no-eth premium has never given me issue.
We don't have Shell or Mobil unless I go 20miles south, so I'm kinda outta luck there.

The 95 seems to run much better and get far better mileage on the no-eth premium, but I hate paying the extra $.40-.50/gal to put it in, so I usually just run regular 87.

#15 ·
With one caveat NAJ - premium gas is not mandated to contain ethanol (at least not everywhere). Ethanol is nasty stuff. It corrodes things and gums up fuel systems. I still run 87 in my XJ, but I regularly add Seafoam to keep things clear. If I wasn't planning on driving the truck for a few months, I'd probably get as much 87 out as I could and put some premium in. Otherwise, yeah, don't run premium if your engine doesn't need it. Waste of money plus all the stuff listed above.

#17 ·
Here in Wisconsin it's all E10 unless you can find no-eth premium, but it's $.60-$1.00 more a gallon.

#19 ·
I noticed a 2-3mpg drop since everything went to 10% ethanol around here on everything I owned at the time. There are still a few stations up north that have 87 no-eth and when I've filled up there with my Voyager I net 3-4mpg better. I don't notice a performance difference on 87 no-eth to regular 87, but my mileage definitely improves.

I don't usually run premium in the vans as the few mpg never offsets the cost. The 95 does feel like it runs better off premium though, which may be because it's not stock. I know once I get my top end swapped I will likely have to run premium as it will be bumping compression, but that's another discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.