what do i need to turbo my neon - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > SRT4 forum and Turbo Dodge Tech Lounge

SRT4 forum and Turbo Dodge Tech Lounge Help and Discussion area for the for Neon and Caliber SRT4's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
what do i need to turbo my neon  
TD New Guy

My Ride: dodge neon
Engine: 2.0l
Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.000

TUBRO NEON is keeping the peace
Hi my name is Jon . I was going to tubro my DOHC 96 dodge neon sport 2.0L but i dont really know what i would need ? I know the basic's like tubro, intercooler and all the hard ware (piping ,clamps ect). but do i need new pistons , fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail. Do i need to do anything with the transmision . ect what whould be the best ecu to use in the car or should i get the stock one tuned The more info the better . thanks Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Re: what do i need to tubro my neon  
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L
Induct: Turbo

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Welcome to TurboDodge.com, you've come to the right place. :)
I have a Neon motor in my van, I turbo'd it.. I've also turbo'd a couple other Neon motors. They're good to about 250hp/250ft lbs on the stock internals. Beyond that, swap in some Eagle rods and some JE Pistons that are all over that place on eBay, and you can make significantly more.
You'll have to keep the boost low on the stock pistons unless you can run E85 or some other race fuel.
You'll need a better clutch, swapping in a Walbro 255 fuel pump is a good idea, and depending on what fuel you run, you'll definitely need larger injectors.. I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 55lb, even on gas, simple because the Neon fuel pressure isn't boost referenced, so the injectors start getting small fast as the boost goes up. The first turbo Neon I did used some 42lb FFV injectors, and they hit 100% duty cycle at 10psi..
Of course you'll need something to get the computer to handle the spark advance and fuel curves properly. Some people use the AEM FIC, most people just install a MegaSquirt, even the cheapest MegaSquirt 1 unit will do what you need with that motor, but I'd go with a MegaSquirt 2 just for ease of use.
Our vendor on this site, DIYAutotune.com sells both injectors as well as MegaSquirt units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Re: what do i need to tubro my neon  
Boostaholic

My Ride: ACR'd peon, Dakota++

Jon Mopar is keeping the peace
^ good advice. I def recommend a 255 pump, that's a common upgrade. I'm working on a boosted 2.0 Neon as well. I hear 7-8lbs boost is the most an all-stock 2L should see. I knew a couple ppl that ran 8+ and didn't get any life out of them. Turbo size matters too. I have a couple lying around. One's huge (too big to mention lol), and the other is quite a bit smaller, basically srt4 sized. Smaller turbos spool up nice and quick, but have limitations. However, in order to put a big turbo to any use, you'll really need to do some work Otherwise the increased size is pointless.

While some people don't see the need in doing this, I know guys that factor turbo size into their builds from day one. Obviously, if you want to run something crazy like a 63mm, you'll have a little more work ahead of you. Set a goal, work towards it. Mine was a very reasonable 200-210whp before I started my build, those numbers have changed since then
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Re: what do i need to turbo my neon  
TD New Guy

Thanks for all that info that really helpful . would i need to get a crankshaft then to or gust leave the stock one in? is it a must for the new cluch? I was hoping to use pump gas if i have to use racing gas then i dont think i wana go tubro beacuse i dont really know were to get racing gas. Your van looks sick have you gone to it to the track ? if so what it run?

I was looking to go for a smaller tubro runing abut 15 to 20 psi not to shure what the hp would be. thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Una
Permanently banned

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
No, there are no alternative crankshafts, and the stock one has been pushed to over 700hp without any failures.
If you're planning on running 15-20psi on pump gas, you're definitely going to need the rods/pistons I mentioned. Check out Dodge SRT4 - Dodge Caliber SRT4 - Dodge Neon - Chevrolet Cobalt SS Performance Parts and Accesories, who specializes in high performance upgrade parts for the Neon motor.
No, my van is not a race car, it's just my work vehicle, so it doesn't go to the track, it weighs almost double what my Omni weighs.. I take the Omni to the track. I have a 2.4 in the Omni which runs circles around a 2.0.
A properly tuned 2.0 running 20psi on some good fuel will put out around 300hp, possibly more. (A 2.4 would put out 400hp at that boost level)
Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Boostaholic

My Ride: ACR'd peon, Dakota++

Jon Mopar is keeping the peace
I found Eagle rods/JE pistons on kijijij....saved myself about $600+ vs Modern Performance's price. Car was parted out before they were ever used. It pays to shop around.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
TD New Guy

o really my friend was telling me that i mite need one but i didnt thinks so. so should i go out and get a 2.4 then i think i mite go 2.4 all my friends tell me that if im going to put all this money in a neon i should get a 2.4 motor and tubro that (go big or go home lol)what do you think ? but you can run pump gas in a tubro neon with a 2.4 ?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
Una
Permanently banned

Yeah, 2.4's are great because you can use just about all of the SRT4 parts on them. You can run pump gas in any motor that is built to BE turbo. If you just grab a Stratus 2.4 and don't make any changes to the internals, you have the exact same limitations you have with your current 2.0. Don't cheap out, do it right.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
TD New Guy

is there an alternative crankshafts for the 2.4L or i gust leave that stock to ? ya your right do it right lol so i am going to pick up a2.4 then..

well i will keep you up todate on my bild thanks for all your help. I mite need some more info as i go along would it be ok if i asked you ?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Una
Permanently banned

Nope, no alternative crankshaft.. These aren't Mitsu motors, they don't have weak crankshafts.
Yeah, this thread will still be here, post as you go with any questions you have.
If you get a 2.4, try to get one from '95-'99, and definitely not '03+ unless you want to go full standalone with the MegaSquirt.. I'd only go '03+ if you flat out buy a full SRT4/PT turbo motor.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
TD New Guy

Hi how was your day? umm i found a 2.4 on kijiji and i just need to know if i need the 2.4
wire harness? because its just the motor not the hole car .O ya and will the 2.0L trany from my neon fit on to the 2.4 motor?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Una
Permanently banned

No, you don't need the harness. Yes, it will bolt to your transmission.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
TD New Guy

that was fast lol really that cool so the motor will bolt right on to the trany ? man my friends dont know crap abut neon's thay keep telling me i need this and this and your just like no dont need that or that . is a good thing im talking to you
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
Una
Permanently banned

Yeah, the 2.4 swap into Neons is extremely common. The 2.4 will run on the 2.0 computer if you don't have a turbo (as long as it's a '95-'02 2.4L). Makes pretty good power too. When you get the 2.4, you'll want to swap your 2.0 camshafts into the 2.4, they're good for 10-15hp. You should remove the balance shafts as well, they rob horsepower too.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
TD New Guy

so really i dont need the hole car? because it would be cheeper if i pick up just the motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.