stratus 2.4l timing belt snapped? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 2.4l Turbo

2.4l Turbo Discussion of the 2.4l turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
stratus 2.4l timing belt snapped?  
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 87 GLHS
Engine: 2.2l turbo
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.000

sleeperspirit is ready to make a name for oneself
hey are the 2.4l in the stratus (2000 i think?) interferance engines? also has anyone done timing belt on them ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Re: stratus 2.4l timing belt snapped?  
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: Starion
1/4: 0.000

pobort is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperspirit View Post
hey are the 2.4l in the stratus (2000 i think?) interferance engines? also has anyone done timing belt on them ?
yep, time for new valves. and the cause of your belt breaking was probably due to the waterpump locking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
TD Hardcore User!

its not mine, i was going to fix it for a friend of mine, he says if the engines damaged hes going to scrap it...... so well see
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperspirit View Post
its not mine, i was going to fix it for a friend of mine, he says if the engines damaged hes going to scrap it...... so well see
if he's going to scrap the car, grab it or get it to someone that wants it. you can always pull the head, get some valves and use for hybrid conversion.

if he's determined to junk the car, cut off the cat ($80-$100 value) get the head and then let it go.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
TD Hardcore User!

well hes a friend of my mother in laws so if he wants to junk it and i have the top end torn apart im going to charge him for my time to take the top end off and see if he just wants to give me the car instead and ill put a head on it and maybe throw that garrett t2 i got laying around here on it :)
Old 10-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 77 Celica Liftback
Engine: 2.4L Dodge 420a

wicked93gs is keeping the peace
wrong, the NA, stock 2.4L is Non-interference(or they are supposed to be anyway) the DOHC 2.0L neon engines are interference though....however this is all just hearsay, I've never had a timing belt break on any of my 2.4s, I always replace them well within time
Old 10-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
wrong, the NA, stock 2.4L is Non-interference(or they are supposed to be anyway) the DOHC 2.0L neon engines are interference though....however this is all just hearsay, I've never had a timing belt break on any of my 2.4s, I always replace them well within time
wrong? where are you getting your information? if you are right, why do i have a 2.4 with a broken timing belt and 8 bent valves? hmmmm. chrysler fsm says interference, shop-key says interference, on-demand says interference, gates belt catalog says interference.

so your are for sure that i'm wrong?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 77 Celica Liftback
Engine: 2.4L Dodge 420a

wicked93gs is keeping the peace
I just said it was hearsay, just from information other people had posted on other sites, which of course is why I included that disclaimer, I knew i could be wrong myself, makes more sense that its interference though...since the only difference between the 2.4 and 2.0 DOHC is the stroke(as far interference goes)I make it a practice to replace my timing belts at 75k miles or before, I also immediatlry replace the belt on any engine of mine with unknown mileage for the same reason(I know they are supposed to be a 100k belt, but I dont trust any belt to last that long)
Old 10-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ is keeping our cars runningNAJ is keeping our cars running
Straight from Dealer Connect.
2000 Status/Breeze/Cirrus 2.4L DOHC 16 Valve (SMPI)

ENGINE
DESCRIPTION
The 2.4 Liter (148 cu. in.) in-line four cylinder engine is a double over head camshaft with hydraulic lifters and four valve per cylinder design. The engine is free-wheeling; meaning it has provisions for piston-to-valve clearance. However valve-to-valve interference can occur, if camshaft are rotated independently.

The cylinders are numbered from front of the engine to the rear. The firing order is 1 - 3 - 4 - 2.

The engine identification number is located on the rear of the cylinder block Engine Identification

TIMING BELT
REMOVAL
Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove right front wheel.
Remove right inner splash shield.
Remove accessory drive belts. Refer to Group 7, Cooling System.
Remove crankshaft damper bolt, and remove damper. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section.
Remove generator belt idler pulley.
Remove lower timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover Timing Belt Covers
Lower vehicle and remove upper timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover.
Remove right engine mount and support bracket. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section
CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until the TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth) Crankshaft and Camshaft Timing
NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft timing marks to be misaligned

Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner, insert the long end of a 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner Locking Timing Belt Tensioner While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise, push in lightly on the 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole.
Remove timing belt
CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner assembly must be replaced. Refer to Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly Removal and Installation procedure in this section.

INSTALLATION
Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket Camshaft Sprocket Alignment For Timing Belt Installation
CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner Timing Belt - Installation
Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise Timing Belt - Installation to align marks and take up belt slack
NOTE: A new tensioner is held in the wound position by a pull pin.

Remove the pull pin or Allen wrench from the belt tensioner.
Once the timing belt has been installed and tensioner released, rotate the crankshaft two (2) complete revolutions. Verify that the TDC marks on crankshaft and timing marks on the camshafts are aligned as shown in Crankshaft and Camshaft Timing
Install right engine mount and support bracket. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section.
Install upper timing belt cover bolts 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.)
Install the lower timing belt cover bolts 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.)
Install generator belt idler pulley and tighten bolt to 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.)
Install crankshaft damper. Refer to procedure in this section.
Install accessory drive belts. Refer to Group 7, Cooling System.
Install right inner splash shield.
Install right front wheel.

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 12-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1st Gen Neon 95'
Engine: 2.4L SRT Turbo Swap

TurboWhips is keeping the peace
the early 2.4 motors are non-interference motors (eg. 94, 95,)
Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 glh turbo
Engine: t2 2.2l intercooled
1/4: 14.580

dirtyglhturbo is keeping the peace
leak down test. then u will know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.