Stratus 2.4 turbo is it possible - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 2.4l Turbo

2.4l Turbo Discussion of the 2.4l turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Stratus 2.4 turbo is it possible  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 97 lhs
1/4: 0.000

jkalinay is keeping the peace
i was thinking about buy a 2nd gen dodge stratus with a 2.4 engine in it and putting a turbo on it. i was wondering if it is possible and what would i need to do it and where would i go to get the items necessary to do this upgrade.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Re: Stratus 2.4 turbo is it possible  
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L
Induct: Turbo

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Welcome to TurboDodge.com. I've turbo'd a N/A 2.4, and a N/A 2.0.. The stock rods are good for about 250hp/250ft lbs torque. You might make it to 300, but you're living on borrowed time at that point. That said.. Things you'll need.. You'll need an AEM FIC piggyback, or a MegaSquirt. I recommend MegaSquirt because it's just all around better, has more features and is more user friendly. It's cheaper too.
The SRT4 turbo won't clear the firewall on a Stratus, so you'll need to pick up a manifold on eBay and use a normal turbocharger. Try not to go for some crazy large turbocharger, as your power goals will be pretty modest with a stock 2.4. There are 3 different (cast log) manifolds up on eBay.. One points the turbo straight up, one points it straight backwards, and one points it down at an angle. I imagine you'll need the down at an angle manifold. I'd avoid the stainless steel headers, you're not building a 10 second dragster, they don't have the greatest longevity for a daily driver.
I notice you mentioned 2nd gen Stratus. Be careful in your selection, some of them (the 2 door I believe) come with a horrible mitsubishi 2.4L motor. Nothin like smokin a ricer only to have that ricer point out your motor is pure rice. While some of the Strata come with the same 2.4L that was in the SRT4 Neon (right up and past the time that the SRT4 was discontinued), minus the reinforced SRT4 components.
You'll also need larger injectors, I'd guess about 750cc would do the trick. You can get the MegaSquirt, and the injectors at DIYAutotune.com. The manifolds are on eBay. I'd recommend running E85 to get around the fact that your N/A 2.4 has really high compression. E85 is 105 octane, so it's perfectly happy running 14+ lbs of boost on a 9.6:1 compression motor. You'll also need a wideband oxygen sensor to be able to tune your fuel curves. I recommend the Innovate LC1, they're cheap, and have just the right features for your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
TD New Guy

My Ride: 97 lhs

jkalinay is keeping the peace
ok thanks, but what kind of MegaSquirt kit will i have to get and what kind of turbo
Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L
Induct: Turbo

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Any MegaSquirt will do the job, MS1 if you're on a tight budget, MS2 if you want one that's easier to use. MS3 if you're on a large budget. They all support the 2.4 motors.
What turbo you use is up to you. If you can find a basic T3 turbo on eBay, that'd be the one to go for. Avoid things like "50 trim" or .63 ar or "T3/T4" because those will all be too big for your needs. .48ar would do well for you.. I'd recommend a basic TD turbo, if the bolt pattern weren't wrong.
You'll have to pick an intercooler as well, any intercooler should do. They start at like $50 on eBay..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2.4 turbo, srt4 stratus, stratus upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.