2.0L Swap to L Body Rampage Motor Mounts - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 2.4l Turbo

2.4l Turbo Discussion of the 2.4l turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Question 2.0L Swap to L Body Rampage Motor Mounts  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.2L Turbo I
1/4: 0.000

MelingMotors is keeping the peace
I'm trying to find a passenger side motor mount "kit" for dropping a NEON motor into an L-Body Rampage, Charger, Turismo, Omni or Horizon i can easily fab up my own but i was wondering if someone is making one since i see info on so many GLH/SRT cars out there but no pics of the mounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Re: 2.0L Swap to L Body Rampage Motor Mounts  
Naturally Aspirated

idkanything is keeping the peace
I'm in the process of putting a 2.0 in a 85 shelby charger. I'm planning on just making my own frame mount on the passenger side to use the OEM Neon setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 77 Celica Liftback
Engine: 2.4L Dodge 420a
Induct: Turbo

wicked93gs is keeping the peace
so whats RWD about this?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Naturally Aspirated

Who really cares, it's just cool to find people trying to do things that take quite a bit of intellegence and fabrication skills.

FYI, I built a RWD 2.2 car using a Mitsubishi chassis.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
you want to use the poly passenger side K car mount with larger neon bolt and some washers to space it out. That and a grade 8 bolt. Then use the 2.2 trans, clutch and flywheel. Then mod the 2.2 front mount to make up the little difference between the 2 engines. Next either Megasquirt or turbo wiring. But being a Rampage I'd just run MS with it, plug and play.

Should get moved to 2.4 section, same thing in your case really.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkanything View Post
Who really cares, it's just cool to find people trying to do things that take quite a bit of intellegence and fabrication skills.

FYI, I built a RWD 2.2 car using a Mitsubishi chassis.
No one cares where you post. BUT if you want the right people reading and helping you with your post it needs to be in the right section. It also adds confusion, I thought this ment RWD 2.0 Rampage when looking at it.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #7
TD New Guy

My mistake on posting this, sorry i am new to the V bulletin/forum thing i wasnt sure exactly where i was posting it. on a side note i have a few pics of a RWD project of mine. an 86 turismo with a 383 big block that hides under the hood and is built with all mopar parts.

the Rampage is an automatic and i'm using my wrecked 95 neon as a donor (my ex roommate rolled the car for me)

the neon started life as a 2 door highline automatic ABS car, it threw rod #3 through the block and broke the starter (while my dad was driving it... see the trend? don't let people drive your car) i got a hold of a 4 door 5 speed car that was hit in the front and swapped everything over to make the car a stick and used the larger automatic throttle body.

now the rampage comes into play, my plan is to use as much of the neon parts as possible the entire drive train including neon 5 speed neon shifter and cables, neon pedals and clutch cable, the axles, ABS spindles (with rampage struts or spacer/adapters to mount the neon struts, brake booster, ABS controller entire neon wiring harness, instrument cluster ect. the rampage K-frame rack and lower control arms (i might have to get crafty with lower ball joints and tie-rod ends)

there will be plenty of fabricating and modifications to the rampage to make the neon parts fit, this is no challenge to me i have put many things where they don't belong and made them work happily.

thanks everyone for your input! i will post pics of the projects progress and tips on what fits and what doesn't or what i have to do to make it work.

Jay
Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Super Pope

There are a few things to consider, first people racing gen 1 Neons run K car axles and hubs because there stronger. The transmissions are stronger too. Much of the parts interchange. So the best way to go is to use the best combo of parts, not just outright add all Neon stuff.

Get a Neon OBX, Neon B&M short shifter, and booger bushings. Then add them to a Dodge Shadow 2.2 523 trans with Shadow shifter and cables. Then use 88-90 Omni auto trans axles and mod a 5 speed L body bracket to fit the bolts on the mount. Then weld a tab on the K member for a later adjustable rear poly mount. All the same work to add the newer trans to the L body. Important mounts like the front mount and the trans mount line up right though.

Then the bolt the 2.0 to the 523 with a adapter plate, cheap.

here you see the plate you get that shows where to port the trans and the difference between a Neon and a 2.2 trans, 1 bolt. So you bolt the 2.2 front mount to the 2.2 trans, then mod the front bracket to bolt the Neon front hole to the front mount. In my case I'm using the SRT 4 engine with lower shield so the front mount hole is of little use.

Then when it comes to knuckles and hubs. Use Daytona struts with L body upper mounts, ground control coil overs and 3/4" of washers on the ends of the struts. Then you can bolt on 11.3" vented disks from K cars or mini vans. Or just bolt on the mini van 10" brakes to stock L body stuff. Unless you go clear to SRT 4 struts your not gaining anything, SRT struts allow the use of Willwoods 12" brake kit.

I would run Megasquirt because it is easy. But if your looking for the cheaper harder way the pin outs for Neon wiring are out there. Also add a 88 up Omni FI TBI fuel tank with turbo pump / bracket to the Rampage and your there.

Putting it all in there from the Neon would be a fun challenge but your talking about the most modded plateform in FWD Mopar history, the L body. So there are many many directions you can go. Add just the SRT 4 turbo to the stock 2.0, then Megasquirt it and add the SRT 4 intercooler up front and 8 PSI of boost. 13 second ride with nice mileage, right now, yesterday fast boost too.

Personally as you can make V8 WHP super cheap and easy with boost, and your fab skills. I would back half the Rampage and run the 2.0 with turbo bolted up to a A999 trans with an 8 3/4 out back. Swap the knuckles and move the rack forward like the old MP RWD kit. A stock SRT 4 long block is very reliable at 400 WHP with good tuning, that much WHP with a V8 is expensive without the bottle. Then your talking a MASSIVE weight reduction over the V8 weight. Aluminum driveline with aluminum 8 3/4 rear. Aluminum 4 link, lighter 999 trans with low first gear. 2400 lbs even in street trim, lighter with more weight savings.

A 2.0 NA has low rewards, so I would go with the easy swap parts doing it FWD. RWD with the right skills would have high rewards with a little boost. How good is a 2.4? One guy here went 4 years at 638 WHP on a stock long block and you can pick up the short block BY HAND and carry it. My 440 block in the garage with nothing in it weighs 230 lbs.......

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
TD New Guy

thank you very much for the EXTREMELY valuable info!! i'm in uncharted territory doing this swap, the general plan for the rampage was a reliable daily driver/parts runner built cheap with what i have on hand then later maybe go for performance. all the info i have gotten from everyone is great!! this forum rocks! i wish i would have kept more of the old parts now from cars and vans i parted out.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Naturally Aspirated

The starter clears the 2.0 block? I tried to use the neon trans on a 2.2 block and there's no way for the starter to work.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkanything View Post
The starter clears the 2.0 block? I tried to use the neon trans on a 2.2 block and there's no way for the starter to work.
Have to hack off the front ear, and weld it back on..... Works but sucks. Best to go to a 2.0 block and 2.2 trans.

In this guys case he wants to drop the whole Neon setup in. The problem with FWD is getting your angles and centering done right, in mid air literally. So going with the 2.2 trans REALLY deals with the issues in a K car. I've seen a 8v and T3 2.2 in a Neon (gen 1). They did the hack the ear off trick and the Neon trans let the 2.2 slide into the Neon a ton better. Personally I think sticking a T3 in a gen 1 vs a SRT 4 engine is just crazy lol. But this was before the SRT days....

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 04-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
How's this swap going? I did it in my van, it's pretty easy.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker View Post
How's this swap going? I did it in my van, it's pretty easy.
going, need to get some photos and finish things. Every time I get to the fun cars a work truck needs help
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
TD New Guy

My Ride: 83 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L Non Turbo
Induct: N/A

wpgrango is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post

Then the bolt the 2.0 to the 523 with a adapter plate, cheap.

Where does one find this adaptor plate?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgrango View Post
Where does one find this adaptor plate?
I got mine from http://rbryant.freeshell.org/dohc_co...n_products.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
glh omni, srt4 neon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.