2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread. - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 2.4l Turbo


2.4l Turbo Discussion of the 2.4l turbo

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #16
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nebraska

My Ride: 94 lebaron GTC
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 497
Feedback: (1)
94GTC is keeping the peace
You just solved most issues, as far as trans, axles and such. You will want to upgrade the fmic.
94GTC is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
TD New Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: jacksonville

1/4: 0.000

Posts: 147
Feedback: (1)
mrhalfwitt is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94GTC View Post
You just solved most issues, as far as trans, axles and such. You will want to upgrade the fmic.
I know how bad ass this srt4 swap would be in the horizon, buttt i got this car with a clear and free title..... I'm half way tempted to just fix it, stick the horizon in the garage and keep gathering parts. The srt4 has super nice interior and i know a good body guy!
mrhalfwitt is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
TD New Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: jacksonville

1/4: 0.000

Posts: 147
Feedback: (1)
mrhalfwitt is keeping the peace
I'm going to go through with it anyhow. Where can I find info about what i need to do to mount the engine and trans?
mrhalfwitt is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #19
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
Garrett Booster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MD, Just South of Baltimore

My Ride: 93 Daytona IROC
Engine: 3.0
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 230
Feedback: (0)
JT84 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhalfwitt View Post
I'm going to go through with it anyhow. Where can I find info about what i need to do to mount the engine and trans?
from everything I have read so far I have come to the conclusion that:

the stock turbo 2.4 pistons can handle up to around 400 WHP.
if you use an 01-02 block you don't have to do any grinding to get the starter to fit.
the block is compatible with the 03 up heads as well as the 95-00 heads(which I believe 95-99 have +1mm valves).
you can use earlier blocks but they don't go both ways with the heads.
you can use any TD trans, the best ones are A568, A523. and they bolt right to the block. ( I think you have to drill holes in the flywheel for the clutch, but i am not sure as I haven't found much on that subject yet)
you will have to get custom intake manifold and turbo exhaust header.
you can use the stock ECM as long as you get the dizzy adapter for the back of the head and a custom calibration.
you can buy custom mounts from a guy that had some laser cut specifically for Lbodys from here he has other items that might help this along as well.

I am in the gathering stage for a 2.4 swap in my 87 charger and have done a lot of searching and I think if I get everything I need before hand I can have my vehicle down for only a week tops. with the amount of other people that have done the swap there is plenty out there to learn what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by JT84; 09-29-2012 at 06:45 PM..
JT84 is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
TD New Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: jacksonville

1/4: 0.000

Posts: 147
Feedback: (1)
mrhalfwitt is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT84 View Post
from everything I have read so far I have come to the conclusion that:

the stock turbo 2.4 pistons can handle up to around 400 WHP.
if you use an 01-02 block you don't have to do any grinding to get the starter to fit.
the block is compatible with the 03 up heads as well as the 95-00 heads(which I believe 95-99 have +1mm valves).
you can use earlier blocks but they don't go both ways with the heads.
you can use any TD trans, the best ones are A568, A523. and they bolt right to the block. ( I think you have to drill holes in the flywheel for the clutch, but i am not sure as I haven't found much on that subject yet)
you will have to get custom intake manifold and turbo exhaust header.
you can use the stock ECM as long as you get the dizzy adapter for the back of the head and a custom calibration.
you can buy custom mounts from a guy that had some laser cut specifically for Lbodys from here he has other items that might help this along as well.

I am in the gathering stage for a 2.4 swap in my 87 charger and have done a lot of searching and I think if I get everything I need before hand I can have my vehicle down for only a week tops. with the amount of other people that have done the swap there is plenty out there to learn what works and what doesn't.
My situation is different. The srt4 was a 2004, the block and trans both got broken in the wreck. The spare block i have is from a 2008 pt cruiser.

I have been eyeballing the mounts and intake manifold on ebay.

As for the ecu, i'm just going to use the megasquirt system.
I'm also thinking about rebuilding this 08 pt cruiser engine i have and later on boost that.

I do need to focus on the trans and clutch. I have to go local junk yard hoping and see what is available to me locally.
mrhalfwitt is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #21
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
Garrett Booster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MD, Just South of Baltimore

My Ride: 93 Daytona IROC
Engine: 3.0
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 230
Feedback: (0)
JT84 is keeping the peace
I think you have to use a TD trans because of half shaft length issues in the Lbodies with the srt4 trans (PT turns will more than likely have the same problem). I think someone here tried and it was too short on one side and too long on the other. Keep us posted with your findings.
JT84 is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
Boostaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ft Worth, Texas

My Ride: 86 GLH OMNI 2.430psi
Engine: 2.4 liter SRT4 swap
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 322
Feedback: (0)
turbogod is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhalfwitt View Post
My situation is different. The srt4 was a 2004, the block and trans both got broken in the wreck. The spare block i have is from a 2008 pt cruiser.

I have been eyeballing the mounts and intake manifold on ebay.

As for the ecu, i'm just going to use the megasquirt system.
I'm also thinking about rebuilding this 08 pt cruiser engine i have and later on boost that.

I do need to focus on the trans and clutch. I have to go local junk yard hoping and see what is available to me locally.
would it be this one Custom Intake Manifold to Fit 2 4 SRT4 Engine in An Omni Charger GLHS Rampage | eBay or did u buy the other one like it?
turbogod is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #23
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
TD New Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: jacksonville

1/4: 0.000

Posts: 147
Feedback: (1)
mrhalfwitt is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogod View Post
would it be this one Custom Intake Manifold to Fit 2 4 SRT4 Engine in An Omni Charger GLHS Rampage | eBay or did u buy the other one like it?
Lol, yeah. I got the other one that included throttle body, fuel rail, and injectors.
mrhalfwitt is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #24
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
Boostaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ft Worth, Texas

My Ride: 86 GLH OMNI 2.430psi
Engine: 2.4 liter SRT4 swap
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 322
Feedback: (0)
turbogod is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhalfwitt View Post
Lol, yeah. I got the other one that included throttle body, fuel rail, and injectors.
cool that was mine.. did u see the other front mounts on srt4omni.com? Whenever u get time call me on he number i sent u in the email.. dont want the number here on the web..lol

This is what i was building them for and decided to make 4 so could sell 2 offset the price of paying the welder. Turbogods Twin enginge SRT Rampage AWD
turbogod is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
TD New Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: jacksonville

1/4: 0.000

Posts: 147
Feedback: (1)
mrhalfwitt is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogod View Post
cool that was mine.. did u see the other front mounts on srt4omni.com? Whenever u get time call me on he number i sent u in the email.. dont want the number here on the web..lol

This is what i was building them for and decided to make 4 so could sell 2 offset the price of paying the welder. Turbogods Twin enginge SRT Rampage AWD
Send the number to rxheaven13b@gmail.com otherwise i wont get it. Thank you.
mrhalfwitt is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
Boostaholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ft Worth, Texas

My Ride: 86 GLH OMNI 2.430psi
Engine: 2.4 liter SRT4 swap
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 322
Feedback: (0)
turbogod is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhalfwitt View Post
Send the number to rxheaven13b@gmail.com otherwise i wont get it. Thank you.
turbogod is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #27
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
TD New Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Virginia Beach

1/4: 0.000

Posts: 42
Feedback: (0)
litemup is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT84 View Post
from everything I have read so far I have come to the conclusion that:

the stock turbo 2.4 pistons can handle up to around 400 WHP.
if you use an 01-02 block you don't have to do any grinding to get the starter to fit.
the block is compatible with the 03 up heads as well as the 95-00 heads(which I believe 95-99 have +1mm valves).
you can use earlier blocks but they don't go both ways with the heads.
you can use any TD trans, the best ones are A568, A523. and they bolt right to the block. ( I think you have to drill holes in the flywheel for the clutch, but i am not sure as I haven't found much on that subject yet)
you will have to get custom intake manifold and turbo exhaust header.
you can use the stock ECM as long as you get the dizzy adapter for the back of the head and a custom calibration.
you can buy custom mounts from a guy that had some laser cut specifically for Lbodys from here he has other items that might help this along as well.

I am in the gathering stage for a 2.4 swap in my 87 charger and have done a lot of searching and I think if I get everything I need before hand I can have my vehicle down for only a week tops. with the amount of other people that have done the swap there is plenty out there to learn what works and what doesn't.
Just snag a healthy srt4 motor, and use a Older Trans.

And the stock Srt manifold will fit when paired with a electric pusher fan.
litemup is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
TD New Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: jacksonville

1/4: 0.000

Posts: 147
Feedback: (1)
mrhalfwitt is keeping the peace
I snagged a roll bar from the old direct connection catalog a guy had sitting in his shed for years.
Attached Thumbnails
2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.-1209122119a.jpg  
mrhalfwitt is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #29
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
Garrett Booster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island New York

My Ride: 1986 Dodge Daytona Z
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 200
Feedback: (1)
Naturaltravesty is keeping the peace
Wow good pickup!
Naturaltravesty is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #30
Re: 2.4 turbo Plymouth Horizon build thread.  
Hybrid Booster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Westminster, MD

Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 1,005
Feedback: (1)
nemesismachine is keeping the peace
Did this build ever get finished?
nemesismachine is offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.