05 PT Cruiser/ 2.4 non turbo / upgrade or replace? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 2.4l Turbo

2.4l Turbo Discussion of the 2.4l turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
05 PT Cruiser/ 2.4 non turbo / upgrade or replace?  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 2005 PT cruiser
Engine: 2.4L 16V DOHC
1/4: 0.000

DerrickLewallen is keeping the peace
Would it be easier and cheaper to upgrade the non turbo to accept one or just replace the entire engine? if there is already a thread about this please link it, i looked but didnt see one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Re: 05 PT Cruiser/ 2.4 non turbo / upgrade or replace?  
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L
Induct: Turbo

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Easier to upgrade, no. Cheaper, yes. It's always cheaper to toss a turbo onto an N/A motor, than it is to remove the N/A motor and buy a new one. But it's a real PITA. The engine isn't meant for boost, it's built with toothpicks for rods, the oil return hasn't been drilled (at least it's cast in, so it's not too hard), and generally, the plumbing all around the engine wasn't setup for a turbo. So it's a fair amount of work.
Just swapping the engine isn't the whole shebang though. You'll also need the turbo computer, map sensor, injectors (map sensor/injectors should come with a turbo motor, so that's a plus), fuel pump (don't forget this one!). The computers in the '03+ PT's have some serious security systems built in, so you'll have to get the computer encoded to the car and your keys after the swap. And that's something that you'll be faced with no matter which route you go, unless you do some sort of hack of a piggyback system (doesn't make much sense when you have a viable factory solution).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Cheaper, faster, less headache to sell the n/a and buy a PT GT.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
TD New Guy

My Ride: 2005 PT cruiser
Engine: 2.4L 16V DOHC

DerrickLewallen is keeping the peace
My next question is, well my stock wiring harness pair up with a gt motor of the same year?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Turbo Z, 91 Shelb
Engine: 2.2-2.5

4Daytonas is keeping the peace
no
Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Una
Permanently banned

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
No, there are additional components, like the wastegate solenoid.
As for tryingbe's ludicrous statement. I'd like to see his math on that one. The engine is about $800. Toss in a stock PCM for $600 from the dealer. Now figure that you've got to sell a used base model PT, it might fetch $5000 if you're REALLY lucky, more likely $3500. Then you have to find a turbo PT that's not beat to death. Doesn't have to be a GT, he just wants turbo. So a base turbo PT, those go for about $8000, maybe $6000 if you're lucky. So for the sake of tryingbe, let's assume you get lucky twice. You get $5k for the old one. and find a suitable replacement for $6k. I'm not sure about Oklahoma, but here in Washington State, we get to pay sales tax when we buy a car. EVEN IF it was a private sale, or you got a really good deal on it. They go by standard blue book value. So that PT you managed to get for $6k bluebooks at $8k, 10% sales tax on $8k is $800.. Plus tabs and various other fees, you'll be out $900 to register this new car. Not to mention, now your insurance company knows you have a high performance PT Cruiser, suddenly your $30/month premium goes to $65/month. That's the gift that keeps on giving. No, do NOT follow Tryingbe's bad advice.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Does n/a uses the same exhaust setup as turbo? If not, there another couple hundred of bucks. What about intake system? What about pipings? What about intercooler? Can n/a power steering reservoir be used? What about the solenoids? Vacuum hoses? Every little thing adds up and they add up quick! Not to mention the turbo cars are usually higher trim cars and comes with more options.

I can't help you if your state have sales tax, high fees and expensive cars.

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo .......
2003 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER TURBO
2005 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2DR***TURBO***CONVERTIBLE***SUPER CLEAN*****
PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE TURBO 2005
2003 PT CRUISEIR TURBO
2005 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2DR***TURBO***CONVERTIBLE***SUPER CLEAN*****

Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
after owning one for a while I can tell you these aren't the cars you want to do complicated engine swaps on. There is no room to work.

My brother has had a 03 blue GT, I have the 05 GT, my mother has owned a 03 NA and now has the 05 180 turbo limited, and my grandma drives an 05 180 limited plantinum edition. One of my workers owns one too, an NA.

The 180 model and the NA in the car aren't much different. The turbo gets up to 10 MPG better mileage and highway power is night and day.

When you go to a GT it is a lot more car. 4 wheel ABS disk brakes, not drum brakes. Then you get traction control, nice with snow and ice with any of them. Bigger sway bars, stiffer springs, better wheels and tires the 17s. Even the turbo GT dash and gauges are nicer.

I drove a NA to Vegas once, horrible on the highway and it didn't like 75-90 MPH at all. Either run 70 and listen to the trans fight to keep it moving or run 90-95 MPH+ Horrible light truck fuel program in the NA and they eat fuel like a V8.

By far the best thing to do is get a GT and add the Stage 1 computer. Better mileage, better power and better shifting with the auto. Yeah they cost more but they aren't like hunting for a SRT 4. They are adult owned, not kid owned. You find them mint all over the place. Then my insurance company doesn't consider it a sports car like the SRT 4. The 180 HP is completely under the radar. BTW the GT and the 180 HP limited have the same power after you add the same stage 1 computer.

Una is no stranger to massive work to save a buck and could handle this pretty quickly. This would be a tough job to do in a reliable manor and it wouldn't be a ton cheaper.

So if your PT is once of these older models you dumped tons of money into to look good for shows and cruising then it would be worth it. If the car is a simple model and driver trade it in. If it is a show rig I'd look for a whole wrecked GT as an organ donor and get a whole car to do the job, buying the few totaled parts to fill in the gaps.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 09-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
Una
Permanently banned

I had an '02 N/A with the ATX. I LOVED that thing. Shifted exactly how I wanted when I wanted. Was amazing. I removed the balance shafts, swapped in '95 motor (it's mostly the head difference that's important, better ports), deleted the EGR and used 2.0 cams (both of them). That thing made awesome power, it hardly ever left me wanting for more. The EPA rating for that particular PT was 25mpg freeway, like 21 city.. I was seeing 28mpg combined, driving it rather agressively.
But yes, I do agree with Pope's opinion that this swap/upgrade could be a massive and overwhelming proposition. Not very fun in a tight engine bay.
Oh, and for the record. That big honkin aluminum intake on the early Turbo PT's is junk. It's worth 15hp to swap the plastic N/A intake in it's place. Both for heatsoak issues (mostly) and because the surface of the inside of the intake is far smoother on the plastic manifold. It's very common for the turbo PT guys to order up the later turbo intake manifold to put on their early turbo PT's. In the end though, it's the same intake that had always been on the N/A cars (albeit with a slightly different angle on the throttlebody).
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
the aluminum intake you change a gasket when changing plugs, the plastic one has O rings and you just unbolt it and lift it
Old 10-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

teamsrt4 is keeping the peace
Just do a full turbo swap!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '87 Plymouth Horizon
Engine: Turbo II Intercooled

TheCanadian007 is keeping the peace
I would also vote for just buying a factory turbo PT over swapping the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
the aluminum intake you change a gasket when changing plugs, the plastic one has O rings and you just unbolt it and lift it
Would just like to add that I have changed plugs on the Turbo PT without pulling
the intake by using a flexible 'gooseneck' extension. After seeing the setup I thought it was ridiculous having to pull the intake to service the plugs; there must be an easier way.

Cheers, TheCanadian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.