another srt-4 owner - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 2.4l Turbo

2.4l Turbo Discussion of the 2.4l turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
another srt-4 owner  
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1984 Turismo 2.2
Engine: Chrysler 2.2
Induct: S/C
1/4: 0.000

TURISMO2.2L is keeping the peace
i got a 2005 srt-4 this past weekend. deal of the year maybe?? paid half sticker price. had just over 8000 miles when picked up. original tires were removed at about 2000 miles. have both stock set and set installed in pic. parts installed are aem cold air intake, bwoody solid engine mounts, bwoody h-brace traction bars, mopar 1" lowering springs, hks super sqv blow off valve, bwoody catch can, short throw shifter, larger cac, cac hard pipes, 3" exhaust. rear electric windows controlled from center arm rest just below arm rest storage latch(hand cranks removed and capped). the guy i purchased the car from was the original owner. I'm draining the atf out of the trans and will get mobile1 for it. as far as turbocharger goes, its all stock. the guy had plans to upgrade but decided it was plenty quick/fast for him and left it at that. I'm reading about 7psi right now at wot. it appears to be the same at all engine speeds. will verify this weekend and go over his work. i'm sure i will find something i wont like. the intercooler is fairly large for just the stock turbocharger. I do have the stock intercooler for it aswell. its fairly quick as is and turns the tires easily in 2nd. I did have an srt4 pull up next to me while cruising. i ended up slowly walking away from him. his was stock. a young kid was driving. may had been the 03', i didnt ask. any maintenance tips for owning an srt4 would be greatly appreciated. a better timing belt perharps? i get to see some good stuff on engine durability at work but wasnt there when testing the 2.4L... however we do have a few engines in storage still. some have not been run.
im going to look up the data on the tests they ran with the 2.4L. hopefully i can find some usefull info. the oil spacer adapter with larger filter is on my list. and no, im not going to consider joining the srt4 forums. if only they knew.
This car was a late veterans day gift and an early christmas gift from my wife. Its a good car to be in the garage next to my blown turismo. i'll get photos of them next to each other out at lake michigan when its spring time.
Attached Thumbnails
another srt-4 owner-3.jpg   another srt-4 owner-1.jpg   another srt-4 owner-9.jpg   another srt-4 owner-12.jpg   another srt-4 owner-2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Re: another srt-4 owner  
TD New Guy

My Ride: srt

netnews is keeping the peace
looks great
lots of mods for so few miles, was it built and returned to "stock" -- does it have all the manifold heat shields and radiator over flow melted (plastic)
should be 15 lbs, not 7
trans, use mobil1 high mileage has higher zink %
i run 3 gaskets for the oil filter (ph8)
pm if you have an srt4 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURISMO2.2L View Post
i got a 2005 srt-4 this past weekend. deal of the year maybe?? paid half sticker price. had just over 8000 miles when picked up. original tires were removed at about 2000 miles. have both stock set and set installed in pic. parts installed are aem cold air intake, bwoody solid engine mounts, bwoody h-brace traction bars, mopar 1" lowering springs, hks super sqv blow off valve, bwoody catch can, short throw shifter, larger cac, cac hard pipes, 3" exhaust. rear electric windows controlled from center arm rest just below arm rest storage latch(hand cranks removed and capped). the guy i purchased the car from was the original owner. I'm draining the atf out of the trans and will get mobile1 for it. as far as turbocharger goes, its all stock. the guy had plans to upgrade but decided it was plenty quick/fast for him and left it at that. I'm reading about 7psi right now at wot. it appears to be the same at all engine speeds. will verify this weekend and go over his work. i'm sure i will find something i wont like. the intercooler is fairly large for just the stock turbocharger. I do have the stock intercooler for it aswell. its fairly quick as is and turns the tires easily in 2nd. I did have an srt4 pull up next to me while cruising. i ended up slowly walking away from him. his was stock. a young kid was driving. may had been the 03', i didnt ask. any maintenance tips for owning an srt4 would be greatly appreciated. a better timing belt perharps? i get to see some good stuff on engine durability at work but wasnt there when testing the 2.4L... however we do have a few engines in storage still. some have not been run.
im going to look up the data on the tests they ran with the 2.4L. hopefully i can find some usefull info. the oil spacer adapter with larger filter is on my list. and no, im not going to consider joining the srt4 forums. if only they knew.
This car was a late veterans day gift and an early christmas gift from my wife. Its a good car to be in the garage next to my blown turismo. i'll get photos of them next to each other out at lake michigan when its spring time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 Daytona Shelbyz
Engine: 2.2 TII
Induct: Turbo

87blueshelbyz is keeping the peace
You found a nice clean low mileage SRT-4. These cars are getting hard to find in good condition. I have a 2005 orange blast. These cars are a lot of fun. Good luck with your new car.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
one issue with these cars is the massive back pressure caused bye the stock IC, so they lose boost at high RPM. Having the big IC this car is built and almost looks identical to my brothers car.

I would start with better fluids everywhere and poly the whole thing. Then also go through right away and fix the vac lines for more boost, the owner may have ran a straight line to the intake to limit power. My brothers car on the stock computer and computer controlled boost stayed at 16 -17 PSI and ran 12.7@110 on 15" slicks. The 12 PSI thread I made years ago shows this car as almost the same build. Also save for a Spec stage 3 and aluminum flywheel lol.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Boostaholic

thank you all for the positive comments and info. much appreciated. il take a look at the setup more today after work and let you know my findings. I think he had the red vac line unplugged. the car was too good to pass up. he did little mods to it and can be easily reversed if needed. but what he's done is about what I was looking for in an srt4. il take some closer pics as well so u guys can see what's going on as well. one last ?.. mobile1 high mileage for both the engine and trans? also what oil weight should be used in the trans?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 GLHT
Engine: 2.5L
1/4: 12.130

Keith Alto is keeping the peace
Nice car, great price!
I run Amsoil MTF in mine, no friction modifier.
Makes me sad, last friday I called the insurance company and put
storage insurance on mine.
black 2004 21,800 miles
never driven in snow and only been rained on a handful of times
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
TD New Guy

My Ride: 96 Neon
Engine: 2.0 Turbo SOHC
1/4: 12.810

SPL Neon is keeping the peace
One descent Mod is the DSP Tuner 93 Octane Canned Tune.
Also, Check to see if they used a 3" o2 Housing when they did the Exhause. If not, that would be a nice addition as the stock squeezes down to 2.25"
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Boostaholic

I took the car for a cruise today and was able to get a code. p1188. the red wire is disconnected. I looked over the vacuum setup. they are all in the original locations with the exception of the red wire being disconnected. the bov has a vac line coming from a tee at the throttle body with a check valve in the line. something isn't right here. il figure it out tomorrow after work
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Super Pope

•P1188 EOT Sensor Ckt. High Voltage
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Boostaholic

I cleared the p1188 code and road tested. no boost at all and the engine speed climbed up and wanted to stay high. shut vehicle off and restarted. engine light was on, boost was back but still at 7psi. the stock surge valve is still on and connected properly to the solenoid as stock. the red vac line I T'd into the vac line coming of the throttle body. I have heard of people running the stock surge valve and a bov but have no idea on how they run the vacuum lines. I've googles it and everybody on the srt forums seem lost and end up arguing and it just gets no where. I did find one diagram which doesn't include a check valve on the line goin to the bov. not sure why there's one installed their. il take it out but I don't think it will fix the issue.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
TD New Guy

My Ride: 96 Neon
Engine: 2.0 Turbo SOHC
1/4: 12.810

SPL Neon is keeping the peace
Some BOV's come with an in-line Filter, Could that be what you are thinking is a Check Valve?
There is a Full Solonoid Vac Line Diagram on neons *** ORG
That may or may not be of help.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Super Pope

I would put on all the stock vac lines including running the factory BOV line to the new BOV.

Personally I haven't experimented with moving around vac lines for something custom with the SRT, no reason lol.

once everything is where it should be you'll be able to really find where any problems are. Not too much different than the older TDs.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
I would put on all the stock vac lines including running the factory BOV line to the new BOV.

Personally I haven't experimented with moving around vac lines for something custom with the SRT, no reason lol.

once everything is where it should be you'll be able to really find where any problems are. Not too much different than the older TDs.
heres what i did. I have everything as stock and put a tee from the surge valve to the bov. still had about the same boost. I googled another method but had no luck with that either. maybe a bad gauge??

Last edited by TURISMO2.2L; 11-28-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 Daytona Shelbyz
Engine: 2.2 TII

87blueshelbyz is keeping the peace
Do you have the stock boost gauge? Does the guage sit on zero when the engine is off? A lot of people have had trouble with the stock srt-4 boost guage.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blueshelbyz View Post
Do you have the stock boost gauge? Does the guage sit on zero when the engine is off? A lot of people have had trouble with the stock srt-4 boost guage.

Just checked it. Its sitting at about 9"Hg. soo, i need a new gauge. boost is probably good. I told ya guys it pulled pretty good and turned the tires easily in 2nd.. about the P1188 dtc, where can I get a oil temp sensor?? nevermind, i'll try and get one of the new engine we have at our shop?? any other ideas on that code. I read somthing about it being the same volt. ref. as the TIP. might have to bust out the dmm and check it. anybody have a diagnostic procedure on checking these? i think we may be getting the new 2.4 for testing. the engineers are calling it the tigershark engine from chrysler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.