Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Found this in the junkyard

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  glhx 
#1 ·
Half price day at Frick-n-Pull! I squealed like a little girl who just got a pony. Been sitting in the yard for a few days, hadn't even been touched. I don't think anybody there knew what it was...the rats certainly didn't care, poor little Spirit RT been sitting in a creek since George Dubyuh took office, with access to fresh water and tasty copper wire the rats must have had a pretty efficient breeding program. A couple hours of pulling bolts and scraping 4 pounds of rat guano off it, I got it home.
So my question is: how do I shove this T3 into my 82 Rampage??? I've been trying to research the process and come up with nothing but partial answers and dead links. I would be forever grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Maybe a swap guide? List of parts I need from the Spirit? Most of the wiring harness is junk... but I grabbed the radiator, intercooler, fan, power module, shifter and cables, gas and clutch pedal (w/ cable), 568trans (w/ 3.85 FD) and axles. Should I grab anything else from the Spirit before it leaves Purgatory and gets crushed to Hell? I would appreciate any help I can get, thanks lots.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, your at least going to need the engine computer, the connectors, the harness if there is anything left of it and the transmission if it was a 5 speed. The RT transmission is sorta special. Most of the rest of it will be factory swap in parts, the radiator combo might be a bit of a head scratcher but if you just decide to go with a FMIC things will maybe be a bit easier. Also if a 5 speed, grab the shifter and cables.

#4 ·
Are there any other computers I need from the spirit? Is the computer in the passenger kick panel important? I went back today and grabbed it anyway. Also pulled a 58mm Tb off a 91 Dynasty 3.3 cuz the one on the T3 was badly corroded and the rats had used the TPS to feed a family of 12. But the TPS from the 3.3 is 180 deg off. Can I just turn the TPS around? As for the PS pump, the Rampage is manual steering, I think I'll keep it that way until the rack wears out. Also, does anyone know of any online resource that details the swap process? I've found little nuggets of info here at turbododge, but no real details. I mostly need help with what electrical parts/harness and vacuum lines/routing and all the little components that are not attatched to the engine. All help is greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
you will need the wiring harness. whether torn up or not. you wil need the connections.

#1 remove everything underthe hood of the charger. place it in bins. everything. wiring included.

#2 mount engine and trans into the L body.

#3 plug in everything from harness and mount the computer.

#4 run new wires .

#5 profit.

#10 ·
Thanks! that's the list I've been looking for. No special components in the cabin to hook up beyond splicing in the harness? I've found good wiring diagrams.
Unfortunately, the Spirit body is complete junk. Rust and rats. I put a little Seafoam and oil in the cyls and cranked it over. Comped out at 160-180. No oil in the pan to check for water, so I'll have to pull it for inspection. Doesn't look like it was leaking coolant from the head. And I can't see any cracks at the freeze plugs between the spark plugs ( doesn't mean theyre not there).
Smog laws in CA can be a pain, but.....as long as the replacement engine is in the same family/ displacement/ manufacturer, and newer than the stock engine, and with all the smog equip from the donor car, I can take it to a special Smog Referee. It has to pass emissions for the 91 spirit, not the 82 Rampage. .......I hope.....

#13 ·
Oooh...I'll have to check the motormount issue... Thanks for the warning. Anybody here have a similar swap?? I've heard that the frame needs to be notched to fit the PS pump pulley, anyone have pics? Or can I remove the pump and still use the serpentine belt? I've got a manual rack....this is beginning to sound like I may be slowly sinking into fabrication Hell...but first order of business is to get the engine running on a stand, no sense in going much farther without knowing if the engine is sound. It would be a shame to do the swap with a junk motor.

#15 ·
A quick and dirty way to get it running is run a distributor off the exhaust cam, there's been mounting plates
fabricated although it's been a long time ago.
I helped a local guy fabricate parts for a TIII Rampage swap but in never was completed.

I'll look for some old threads to reference

EDIT
Here's one
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?181-Dizzy-schematic-hosting

#18 ·
There’s a few things that make this easier.

My power steering pump is from a 92 spirit 4 cylinder....brackets as well
The power steering line is also 92 spirit.

I think I was able to turn the passenger side mount upside down.

My shifter is 93 iroc with dodge shadow shift cables
Neon shift bushings.

The brakes are another deal

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.