oil and coolant mixing - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Turbo III

Turbo III Help with turbo III cars

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
oil and coolant mixing  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 91 Spirit R/T
Engine: 2.2 DOHC TIII
1/4: 0.000

SPIRITR/T is keeping the peace
took my head off because engine was overheating and oil and coolant were mixing, most likely a blown gasket. Had the head pressure tested and resurfaced. The machine shop said that it wasnt cracked and that when they resurfaced it they took "less then 5 off". Dont really know what that means...(<.005???). Im trying to decide what head gasket to get. Any recommendations? Also....the little disk that holds the lifter to the rocker arm(i think thats what it does), was missing on 6 of the lifters, and when the machine shop took the rocker arm assembly off, 6 of the lifters feel out...WTF?!? Is there anywhere i can get just that disk, or will i have to buy new lifters?

Last edited by SPIRITR/T; 03-31-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Re: oil and coolant mixing  
Lotashelbys

The real only way for coolant and oil to be mixing is the headgasket. Have you gotten a new one yet and is the head still off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
TD New Guy

edited the original question....yes it is still off. Thinkin about getting aluminum core plugs but dont know how do get the steel ones out and the new ones in....probably a stupid statement...but never done it before.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1991 Spirit R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII Intercooled
Induct: Turbo

xinnix is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIRITR/T View Post
edited the original question....yes it is still off. Thinkin about getting aluminum core plugs but dont know how do get the steel ones out and the new ones in....probably a stupid statement...but never done it before.
If your head isn't cracked around the steel plugs by now I would say just leave them the way they are. Thats what I did. Still have the aluminum plugs in a plastic bag.

I know Jacksons take on this is to replace them no matter what. But you have to remember, he IS JACKSON! If he cracks it while removing them he will fix it. We all don't have that luxury or the skill to weld aluminum.
Well, I don't.....anyways.

Also, Cometic Head Gaskets from Cindy is the way to go.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Lotashelbys

Ok after reading it again yes what they took off was .005 I would still measure the VC surface side to the deck side of the head to know how much has been taken off total. If its 5.021-5.010 just go with the .065 Cometic and if its 5.010 to 5.000 go with the .075 Cometic. You will want to get the deck as clean and as flat as you can. Get some kind of straight edge and some adhesive backed 220 grit and block it with that. Also use copper spray on both sides of the Cometic to help seal it on the block side.

Now the disc you speak of is it the lifter disc that looks like a little sand dollar that goes between the lifter and rocker? If so when you re-install make sure the three little "slits" face you before you install the lifter. What actually holds the lifter to the rocker is an O-ring that always deteriorates over time and usually comes apart in pieces. I would just use grease to hold them in the rocker bore to re-install.

As for core plugs yes I always install aluminum ones. But to do that you need the correct tap to chase the threads in the head before you install the new aluminum units. If you have an original casting its M26x1.5. A Dunn casting will be 3/4NPT and you will want an NPS tap for that head.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
TD New Guy

Thanks for the info Jackson.
So i should take some 220 grit and sand the deck of the block to make it smooth?(just double checking) How do you measure the block for flatness?(probably a stupid question)
And im missing 4 of those sand dollar lifter disks, thats why the machine shop didnt put the exhaust side rocker arm assembly back on....
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Lotashelbys

Yes with some kind of a rigid FLAT sanding block. I would pull the dowel pins out to make it easier as well.

Sounds like you need 4 discs. DONT RUN IT WITHOUT THEM!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, head, head gasket, oil, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.