clutch pressure plate Question.. uh ohs - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Turbo III

Turbo III Help with turbo III cars

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
clutch pressure plate Question.. uh ohs  
[X]treme Aggression

My Ride: Spirit R/T
Engine: T3, Alky+Holset he351cw
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

[X]treme R/T is keeping the peace
So after like 4k miles of break in @ 18psi on my r/t, i turned the boost up on it finnally, and at around 26-28psi it started slipping (this was a couple months ago already / been driving it back down at lowest boost setting of 18psi max since then)

i use the turbo's unleashed 4 puck yellow plate (S3)

its obviously not / hasnt been holding the power for whatever reason

as of the last few days i cant boost over 8psi and it slips now cuz of those couple times at high boost / rpm when it slipped, it detroyed the longevity of the clutch.

only like 5k miles on the clutch

So here is my question now that you got the underlying info.

which clutch has more holding force /psi on the pressure plate, the Mcleod RevLok 2 or the TU 4 puck purple plate? I need something with some meat on the bones compared to what i have right now.

also, feel free to add any info - aka: if you used one of the two clutches im looking at getting and what u think of it personally / etc.

NOTE: Im use to direct drive and drag clutches from previous cars ive had so "streetability" isnt an issue at all for me / i can drive anything regardless of the stickyness of the clutch.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Re: clutch pressure plate Question.. uh ohs  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 94 Shadow ES 3.0
1/4: 14.620

MC#4 is keeping the peace
I've got the TU purple plate / 6 puck combo and no complaints so far. I don't have the power to really test it yet though. Very streetable imho, stock pedal effort and a usable friction zone. When I was looking for a clutch, I read a bunch of rave reviews on the other site, even a couple 10 second cars running the purple plate if I remember right.TU also has a Dual Diaphragm Pressure Plate for Extreme Applications, I don't know much about it other than an updraded clutch cable is suggested.

Also now that you've slipped the clutch so much, you'll probably need a new disc too, ceramics don't like being slipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC#4 View Post

Also now that you've slipped the clutch so much, you'll probably need a new disc too, ceramics don't like being slipped.
well yeah ill be getting then entire package (disk and plate)

if i was to get a clutch it would be a 4 puck version cuz it gives more clamping force to the flywheel.

just need to find one that will work for me
Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
[X]treme Aggression

problem solved, getting a rev-lok 2 from jackson :P
Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1991 spirit r/t

alfaqhawrd is keeping the peace
well i got the turbo unleashed purple plate and 6-puck kit.i think its great.i have about 1500 miles on it.just 2 weeks i was cruising around and i ran into a lil turbo gsr hatch and full bolt on rsx.the clutch grabs so great when i quick shift it into 2nd it lit the tires up hard i mean hard where i was spinning next to both hondas and pulling away with a loud 3rd gear chirp.man i wish i had recorded the race.i have a 91 spirit r/t 90% stock.i have new rebuilt transmission with qualife lsd and tu pp 6-puck clutch/stock motor/k&n filter/2.5in mandrel bend to mid rear wheels.no cats or mufflers and with this cold california air my car is a beast
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1991 spirit r/t

alfaqhawrd is keeping the peace
oh and it has a complete stock feel.felt the same from stock clutch.compared to my 82 camaro it has a 4-speed manual with stage 3 hays clutch compared to stock clutch.that thing is over kill
Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: CSX/Omni/Shel-Dak
Engine: 5.2 & 2.2 turbo

dragbaron is keeping the peace
I think you made the best choice by asking Jackson, as nobody that's posted so far has anywhere near the power you have at 18lbs, let alone the 26-28lbs!

I had kinda planned ahead on my R/T, as I installed a TU 4-puck/blue plate in it years ago. Though I have yet to get over 14lbs and stock turbo! My set-up is "grabby", and took a little practice to get used to. I'd hate to see what you have to deal with on a clutch that can handle that power level!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Hybrid Booster

Vigo is keeping our cars running
ceramic puck clutches will glaze. You can 'resurface' them with hand tools and get them to work again after what you did, but ultimately even if your clutch disc wasnt messed up you'd still need a stronger plate to get it to hold the next time you tried 28psi..

Personally, i wouldnt use a sintered iron clutch in a street car, but thats just a preference thing.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
ceramic puck clutches will glaze. You can 'resurface' them with hand tools and get them to work again after what you did, but ultimately even if your clutch disc wasnt messed up you'd still need a stronger plate to get it to hold the next time you tried 28psi..

Personally, i wouldnt use a sintered iron clutch in a street car, but thats just a preference thing.
i had a twin disc in my 91 mustang gt lol. along with that and direct drive dirt track cars ive driven, i can handle anything lol.

there is no such thing is 'not streetable" with me ><
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 87 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 15.200

bfarroo is keeping the peace
So far I like my Upgraded TU 6 puck / purple plate. Only been running 18-20 psi but I haven't had any issues. I wanted something street-able and this one definitely is. Currently I'd be happy with 350HP so this clutch should do fine. Is the sintered Iron what Jackson runs in the green car? I know when I drove his car a few years back it wasn't bad but is definitely grabby and would be awful in stop and go traffic.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
So far I like my Upgraded TU 6 puck / purple plate. Only been running 18-20 psi but I haven't had any issues. I wanted something street-able and this one definitely is. Currently I'd be happy with 350HP so this clutch should do fine. Is the sintered Iron what Jackson runs in the green car? I know when I drove his car a few years back it wasn't bad but is definitely grabby and would be awful in stop and go traffic.
he has the 4 puck purple plate
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Holset Booster

My Ride: Lots of TIII cars:-)
Engine: 2.2TIII EDS code
1/4: 12.101

Lotashelbys is keeping the peace
Yes Benji it had that sintered iron clutch in it when we were at SDAC 20 out in Maryland. I went with the 4 puck purple so it was easier to drive everyday.....
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 87 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 15.200

bfarroo is keeping the peace
Did you go with the sprung or unsprung hub on the 4 puck?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Holset Booster

My Ride: Lots of TIII cars:-)
Engine: 2.2TIII EDS code
1/4: 12.101

Lotashelbys is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
Did you go with the sprung or unsprung hub on the 4 puck?
Sprung but I have taken 2 TU clutches out of customer cars and the spring perches have been pretty beat up and one I could lupp the spring out of it. Kinda scared me as I have 3 other TU clutches in cars and they are all sprung with more miles on than the worn out ones....
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #15
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
with enough power and weight resistance the spring hub sucks though. You get that bounce in the drive train vs a nice solid hit. You have to drive it right but less wheel hop, shudder and bounce when you lug around in gear. You have to get used to it just like getting used to going to a puck. If you let some clown drive your car though it is worse, but if you are used to a puck the unsprung type takes a lot of slop out of the drive train.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.