Spirit r/t ignition coil - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Turbo III

Turbo III Help with turbo III cars

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Spirit r/t ignition coil  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1991 spirit r/t
1/4: 0.000

alfaqhawrd is keeping the peace
ok well my car had a bad sputter problem.never figured what it was just never drove car hard after that.one day i was driving and out of nowhere i here my car knocking and my car loses power sounds like a subaru feels like its running on 2 cylinders.so i leave car on and start to pull the wires off and see how much sparks going through.first piston is weak 2nd is strong.with about 4 inches away from spark plugs it still sparks.i check first one again not even 1 in away it barely sparks.and if i start reving it up the spark cuts out and sparks erraticly.never replaced coil pack but i did change crank angle sensor.so is coil on way out or is this a computer problem.i check codes and all i get is 55.also i read somewhere about using a dodge neon coil with spliced in plug.if someone could point me to right direction that would be great.any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Re: Spirit r/t ignition coil  
TD New Guy

so is their anyway you can splice in a neon plug and use coil pack.the oem coil is 180 just trying to save some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ is keeping our cars runningNAJ is keeping our cars running
I do not own a T-3 all systems operate the same.

Never hold the wire more than 1/4" from ground or you may spike the engine controller.
Invest $8.00 in an adjustable spark tester.

Before you condemn the coil verify...
1)Coil control is present at both coil drivers.
2)Ignition Wires are not open or shorted.

As far as swapping a coil from another vehicle as long as it wires/operates the same and primary resistance is the same you can swap it, anything different may/will damage the controller.

You have a 4 terminal connector with 3 wires...
Cavity #1...DB/YL Coil #2 Driver
Cavity #2...BK/GY Coil #1 Driver
Cavity #3...Not Used
Cavity #4...DG/OR ASD Power Input

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ is keeping our cars runningNAJ is keeping our cars running
Primary Resistance - .52-.63
Secondary Resistance - 11,600-15,800
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
TD New Guy

ok well after weeks sitting their i had finally decided to see whats wrong with my car.i check ignition coil and it was fine.so i did a compression test this is the result.piston #1/155psi #2/110psi #3/36psi #4/21psi.i did this with a lil warm up and 5 crank overs with wide open throttle.piston 3,4 had spark plugs covered with oil.so i pull off valve covers and only 1 valve on piston #3 was really off rocker.so i think the head is gone.i want to figure out what caused this to happen could this be the the famous i-shaft failure how can i check for the cause.please any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
TD Hardcore User!

Turbo Joe is keeping the peace
sounds like you either had a head gasket failure or you melted some pistons.. if you run alot of boost and don't have any gauges to monitor your engine a/f ratio shame on you.
Since #3 &4 are both low on compression, I'm guessing a head gasket let go. good luck
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
TD New Guy

well car is completely stock other than full 2.5 in mandrel bend downpipe ending to middle of car and k&n cone filter and race clutch from turbosunleashed.hoping its not block related.the reason i parked it was because of loss of power and loud knocking sound.lets see who's guess is right when i start to pull it apart.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 1989 Turbo Caravan
Engine: 2.5L TIII DOHC
1/4: 12.570

turbovanman is ready to make a name for oneself
Sounds like a head gasket, as when 2 adjacent cylinders have a blown head gasket, the compression/spark etc gets blown between the 2. Do a leak down test to verify. Pics of what you were talking about on the head?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.