Turbo Dodge Forums banner

91 r/t radio install help

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  92TurboTona 
#1 ·
hey everyone i recently got a new headunit for my car i found a wiring diagram that i thought was the correct one but when i went to try the radio out and it powers up fine but nothing comes from the speakers. i was wondering if anyone has the correct radio wiring diagram and/or could know what i should check to get this working.
thanks a lot,
mike

#3 ·
hey thanks a lot! the new radio has a blue/white wire in the new plug that came with it, and the directions say "connect to system control terminal of the power amp or auto antenna relay control terminal" in wondering where this goes if anyywhere??

thanks,
mike

#4 ·
that's your "remote turn on" lead. It typically runs to an amp or similar device that needs to be turned on when the deck comes on. In a basic system with only speakers and no amp, this wire would be unused. I think it also puts up your power antenna, if applicable.

a nice trick from back in the day... if you want to make 100% sure you have the right 2 wires for a specific speaker... take them and connect briefly to a little AA/AAA battery. You'll hear static out of the speaker.

#5 ·
not only will you hear static the voice coil will phase in or phase out, after being in the 12v industry for nearly 10yrs and MECP Master Installation Technician, it really doesnt matter how you hook the speakers up as long as you are consistent with installation as the signal from the stereo is AC, it has no polarity

key is be consistent with connecting the speaker wires, if not they will be out of phase and will not sound good at all and the bass will kill the voice coils

the remote turn on will be used for a amp or power antenna

#7 ·
does your speakers have 4 speaker wires going to it, if so you have amped speakers

if you have just 2 wires going to your speakers, you dont have amped speakers

#8 ·
ok so ive looked over the system again, tried the AAA battery thing. all the speakers have static at the speakers, but only the right side speakers i hear static when i test it at the radio connectors... also when i checked my speakers i found that they are cheap replaced speakers that only have the 2 middle wires going to them and the other 2 not connected to anything, is that right for aftermarket speakers?

#9 ·
might have been incorrectly installed and yes the two middle speaker are what to connect to as the other two are for the factory amp speakers, do a continuity test to make sure you are getting a good connection from the harness to the speakers

your door speakers gets its signal from the dash speaker so if anything is wrong with your dash speaker your door speaker won't work, and the back speaker goes directly to the stereo

do you have the 6 speakers or 8

#11 ·
you dont have speakers here

2 dash
2 front door
2 rear door
2 package tray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.