SOHC 16 valve - Page 5 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 16v Conversion

16v Conversion Converting to 16V status

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #61

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '89 plymouth voyager
Engine: 2.5 T1
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 16.800

tkelly27 is keeping the peace
non CB 2.2 block with non CB 2.2 belt. I think the CB and the 2.2 non CB have nearly the same height, could be wrong. The difference between cam gears is neglidgable compared to the slack in the belt. Compared the square tooth 8v to the round tooth 8v and they are simmilar in size too. Also, you can not use the neon cam gear it has a different tooth count, I spent all morning counting, then I read 89acclaims post Does anyone make cut to length spark plug wires that'll fit the stock distributor? The distributor fits in the stock location OK, (it'd fit even better if my dad would let me grind in the garage : ( ) but the wires are way to short to reach down into the holes. I would not put the dist on the end of the cam unless I absolutely had to, looks like a lot of machining and a lot of oil sealing issues. If you can competently describe to someone how to machine a cam to accept a distributor (or machine it yourself) you can make an intake that will accept the dist in the stock location. Seems like its going to be a hundred years before I ever get enough money and free time to do this.

*edit* reread 89acclaims post, With the significantly shorter deck height, mayby I'll hit up the junkyard and find a 2.0/2.4 timing belt. If that belt fits I'd just need to find a common block with round toothed gears to stick this head onto and everything would be peachy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #62

Boostaholic

My Ride: Whatever runs
Engine: 2.7tt, 2.0, 2.5, 2.2
1/4: 0.000

88-16V-Lebaron is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly27
non CB 2.2 block with non CB 2.2 belt. I think the CB and the 2.2 non CB have nearly the same height, could be wrong. The difference between cam gears is neglidgable compared to the slack in the belt. Compared the square tooth 8v to the round tooth 8v and they are simmilar in size too. Also, you can not use the neon cam gear it has a different tooth count, I spent all morning counting, then I read 89acclaims post Does anyone make cut to length spark plug wires that'll fit the stock distributor? The distributor fits in the stock location OK, (it'd fit even better if my dad would let me grind in the garage : ( ) but the wires are way to short to reach down into the holes. I would not put the dist on the end of the cam unless I absolutely had to, looks like a lot of machining and a lot of oil sealing issues. If you can competently describe to someone how to machine a cam to accept a distributor (or machine it yourself) you can make an intake that will accept the dist in the stock location. Seems like its going to be a hundred years before I ever get enough money and free time to do this.

*edit* reread 89acclaims post, With the significantly shorter deck height, mayby I'll hit up the junkyard and find a 2.0/2.4 timing belt. If that belt fits I'd just need to find a common block with round toothed gears to stick this head onto and everything would be peachy.
You can get a set of custom wires for $70 or make a set yourself by picking and choosing wire sets that are of compatible size and trimming accordingly.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #63

Hybrid Booster

89acclaim is keeping our cars running
Quote:
The 2.4 belt is too long, it has the same deck height as the 2.2/2.5 with two cam gears.;) I would check the 2.0 dohc and sohc belts.

Daniel Merrill
Old 04-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #64

Boostaholic

Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

DaytonaTurbo87 is keeping the peace
If I understand correctly, the sohc uses a shorter belt than the 8v engines? I think someone will just need to bolt one of these heads on and nab a few different belts from the junkyard and mix and match belts and tensioners until something works. Does anyone know how much higher above deck that the 8v cam sits than the 16v sohc cam??
Old 04-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #65

Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaTurbo87
If I understand correctly, the sohc uses a shorter belt than the 8v engines? I think someone will just need to bolt one of these heads on and nab a few different belts from the junkyard and mix and match belts and tensioners until something works. Does anyone know how much higher above deck that the 8v cam sits than the 16v sohc cam??

Take a belt with the proper size and shape of teeth. Set it up and cut it to the proper tensioned length. Take the belt to the parts store and compare all similiarly sized belts with identical shaped teeth. Take the winner home and test it out on the motor.;)
Old 04-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #66

Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: 1986 Plymouth Horizo
Engine: 2.2 Turbo
1/4: 11.705

contraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better place
Just to give you an idea of why the belt needs to be shorter. On the 8v head, the cam rides at the top of the head pretty much. On the SOHC 16v head, the cam slides into the head from teh side and sits lower in the head. If it sits an inch lower in the head, the belt needs to be 2 inches shorter.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:14 AM   #67

Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre' Parker
On the exhaust side, stock for stock, it does flow about 10-15cfm more than an 8v. You can easily remedy this by taking out the massive ridges under the exhaust bowl area and pick up a considerable improvement. I will post all my flow numbers for the stock heads as soon as I can get cable ran to my new shop and get internet. There is alot more potential in a sohc head than the 8v head. Ported, an sohc head can really flow some impressive numbers.

I would like to see some numbers on the SOHC and what should be done to the head by a backyard hack porter to bump up the flow to a proper rate. Pictures of a port job sufficient to flow as well as the DOHC is all I would want + a little extra while I am there ;) for the price of the $50 SOHC 16v head
Old 04-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #68

Boostaholic

Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

DaytonaTurbo87 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88-16V-Lebaron
Take a belt with the proper size and shape of teeth. Set it up and cut it to the proper tensioned length. Take the belt to the parts store and compare all similiarly sized belts with identical shaped teeth. Take the winner home and test it out on the motor.;)
I think we can all imagine the dumbass look on the guy's face at the parts store when you try to pull that one off, lol.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #69

Hybrid Booster

89acclaim is keeping our cars running
Quote:
I think we can all imagine the dumbass look on the guy's face at the parts store when you try to pull that one off, lol.
Not as funny as when I was reading his post I kept thinking to myself, please don't say cut to length and staple it back together then try use it...

Daniel Merrill
Old 04-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #70

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '89 plymouth voyager
Engine: 2.5 T1
1/4: 16.800

tkelly27 is keeping the peace
lol, duck tape, fixes everything. Back to the cam gear, do you think a sleeve could be made for the 8V gear so that it would fit on the cam? The mounting surfaces are nearly the same, the dowell pin looks like a pita to work around. the lowest of the low buck 16v builds
Attached Thumbnails
SOHC 16 valve-camadapter.jpg  

Last edited by tkelly27; 04-28-2006 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: add a pciture
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #71

Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: 1986 Plymouth Horizo
Engine: 2.2 Turbo
1/4: 11.705

contraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better place
Quote:
lol, duck tape, fixes everything. Back to the cam gear, do you think a sleeve could be made for the 8V gear so that it would fit on the cam? The mounting surfaces are nearly the same, the dowell pin looks like a pita to work around. the lowest of the low buck 16v builds

I don't see how it would be much different then making an adjustable cam gear.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #72

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 2004 SRT4
Engine: 2.4
1/4: 13.680

Andre Parker is keeping the peace
I'm sending an 8v cam gear and the center of the sohc cam gear to Steve Mercier. He is making the adjustable cam gear for me and when we get it right, they you hopefully will be able to buy them from him. The sohc has a bigger gear than the 8v. I'm using a CB now for the main webbing beef. I'll solve the adjuster issue and if it requires a new one, then I'll build one. We are still setting up the new shop. You'll have some pictures and flows soon.

88-16v, you can make the ports wider and taller and that will help alot. The main issue with the regular sohc head is under the valve in the bowl area. There are some huge ramps that are there and need to be cut out. You'll see when I get the pictures up. I'll also show a race ported exhaust port I did that flows over 200cfm at .330 lift. (stock 95 sohc cam.) On cam selection, use either the 95 cam, or the magnum cam or you can also use the crane # 12 cam. Were also working on some turbo grinds for neon heads, but there a little ways out.
1988 Daytona Shelby Z
1987 Daytona Shelby Z
Extra parts in the Garage :)
Old 04-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #73

akl
TD New Guy

akl is keeping the peace
timing belt part number! neon sohc to 2.5

would this work?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #74

Boostaholic

Quote:

Did that with my lebaron upper and lower radiator hoses using an S intercooler. Worked great. Got an exact fit after comparing it to 5-6 other dodges. This is the same thing
Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #75

Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akl

Cool. That really narrows down the comparisons I need to with my duct tape mock up. ;)

Now if the 2.5l sohc 16v was a non-interference motor I would give it a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
16 valves, dhoc conversion, head, sohc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.