2.4 turbo swap in old school dodges Collection of pictures and info - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 16v Conversion

16v Conversion Converting to 16V status

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
Re: 2.4 turbo swap in old school dodges Collection of pictures and info  
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

litemup is keeping the peace
Here is my unrefined solution to the starter clearance issue with old school 5 speeds and newer 2.4 blocks (inspired by Unaclocker).

This pic shows the oil passage that prevents the starter from lining up.

The below pic shows how out of alignment the starter is with the oil passage still intact.

The grinder comes out...

I cut some little steel triangles to fill the gaping holes.

Then brazed them...

This shows the starter fitted. Notice the literally 1-2mm space between the ground out cut and cylinder of the starter. Tight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
Super Pope

Induct: Turbo

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
what about the skinny starter? That is the big fat old type starter. Think the new type will fit better?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
TD New Guy

I tried to do research on here before I jumped into this, and it seemed that regardless of which starter I was going to use, I would still have to remove significant amounts of metal from that ridge.

...So I opted to use the only starter I had and save the 100 bucks I was going to drop on the nippondenso unit.

If there better alternatives, please let it be known! Completely eliminating this passage was not what I would call an ideal solution. I originally planned to tap in a fitting into the upper-most portion of the passage that was left, and then route a line around the starter so at least that part of the head could drain. But after fitting the starter and seeing the space that the solenoid occupied, I gave up on that idea.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by litemup View Post
I tried to do research on here before I jumped into this, and it seemed that regardless of which starter I was going to use, I would still have to remove significant amounts of metal from that ridge.

...So I opted to use the only starter I had and save the 100 bucks I was going to drop on the nippondenso unit.

If there better alternatives, please let it be known! Completely eliminating this passage was not what I would call an ideal solution. I originally planned to tap in a fitting into the upper-most portion of the passage that was left, and then route a line around the starter so at least that part of the head could drain. But after fitting the starter and seeing the space that the solenoid occupied, I gave up on that idea.
I have space time and help this winter so I am going to get mine rolling. It'll be going in my 89 CSX, not because I want to scrub the 655 engine but because the SRT engine is done and ready to go. I want to drive it lol. I think that a combo of small copper pipe and UNAs cave man filler is the right direction with the smaller starter (later starter). It won't flow as much but it'll keep the air flow balanced. As you turn left and right these are breathers. I am missing the NA 2.4 parts to get the project underway, the current goal.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
TD New Guy

My Ride: daytona
Engine: 2.2 trubo

dave85stang is keeping the peace
I have been wanting to do this swap for a while now to my daytona because i have a srt 4 motor and i work at a dodge dealer so there it a ton of stock 2.4 2.0 parts laying around . I am just so confused on it. There is so many ways people do it. Can you run your stock eletronics and how? and does the A555 bolt up? sorry for the qustions but i have looked at past threads and still left confused.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #21
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 85 laser
Engine: 2.5 hybrid
1/4: 11.585

jim34 is keeping the peace
Im sure you dont want to hear this but that braze is probobly not gonna hold up, you should tap the hole in block and put a plug in there top and bottom if you can
Old 09-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #22
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave85stang View Post
I have been wanting to do this swap for a while now to my daytona because i have a srt 4 motor and i work at a dodge dealer so there it a ton of stock 2.4 2.0 parts laying around . I am just so confused on it. There is so many ways people do it. Can you run your stock eletronics and how? and does the A555 bolt up? sorry for the qustions but i have looked at past threads and still left confused.
you get the dist adapter to run the 2.2 dist in the Neon head, they move wires around. Lastly you need a cal made to run the SRT 4 engine, from say FWDperformance.com

the 555 bolts up and 2.2 clutch works but the one hole needs to be drilled.

Read through UNAs thread on his van install and look at Riches 16v parts. IT isn't an easy bolt in but it isn't that bad either for swaps at this level.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #23
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim34 View Post
Im sure you dont want to hear this but that braze is probobly not gonna hold up, you should tap the hole in block and put a plug in there top and bottom if you can
I am confident that those ports are closed for good. Why do you feel otherwise?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #24
Level 4 Supporter

turboking is keeping the peace
i would have used a "nickel rod"
Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #25
Super Pope

it is sad but because of how hard it is to weld cast correctly where it doesn't twist and pop a weld off, the epoxy does a better job 99% of the time. Cast has to be heated till it is red and soft then hit. If you just hit it you don't penetrate the metal.

The other issue with the old plug at the top is all the oil squirting up from the crank, both ends need filling.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #26
TD New Guy

So as a bit of info for others, the starter I attempted to use does not have enough power to turn over the 2.4. That starter was out of a '86 Shelby Charger, and apparently is not a gear reduction unit.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #27
Level 1 Supporter

The starter must be bad it should have enough power to crank a 10-1 motor at least in my experience, ive got a spare small starter ill donate you if you pay the shipping
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #28
Level 1 Supporter

All the spare starters i have are bocshes, they sound like crap but never seem to go bad lol, ive had a block brazed like that and it it didnt work at all for me but idk maybe you will have better luck than i did
Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger
Engine: Dodge, 2.2L Turbo

Shelby87Charger is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogod View Post
Going to try to keep this thread clear of "good job" and "Thanks for the info"
Not a bad thing just want to make a real easy to under stand what it takes to put in a 2.4 in daytona's, Omni, Charger, Lbody, and other od school mopars.. If you have a link to good facts post it here! I am sure no one will care if I collect up the pictures and organize them in this post. I have been spending hours reading through info that was not needed clutering the plans.. Ok On with it then..

Mine for now will go with this mount.. Give you guys some ideas maybe not thought up yet.. Trans mount from L body.. Like the way it puts the forces forward!

Thinking maybe going different way like the one below. If my bolt breaks the motor will fall unlike the one below

Love this mount setup.. best one I have seen yet below. Think it is using a stratus lower mount (PM me if I am wrong) THIS IS A WORK OF ART! by someone else on the board.

3 different mounting options. srt4 (left), Not sure middle, and Stratus right and think regular neon with adaptor from a guy on neons.org "toomanyneons" (right) PLEASE PM ME WITH CORRECTING INFO

2.4 stratus with stratus mount (best mount to use very light weight compared to srt4!!

simple setup here (cleaner looking than my setup!) using srt4 mount with custom made adapter

1996 neon DOHC mount

degree wheel on valve cover and on driers fender

Thinking might cut off the top of the mount and weld a block to the srt4 mount and put threads in it.. cut the top off will give me more room to the cams

food for thought::

finished looks ok..

I revised my mount to one like 90turbovan has.. much easier to make..
What intake did you use to fab yours up? looks very efficient!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #30
Super Pope

yeah he custom made that one. Really though a guy on here is doing 638 WHP with the factory SRT 4 intake sooooo. Then there is the Indy intake...... Unlike the 8v engines the 2.4 has choices, even lone wolf makes a custom one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.