my hybrid laser - Page 12 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > 16v Conversion

16v Conversion Converting to 16V status

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #166
Re: my hybrid laser  
Boostaholic

1/4: 0.000

wallace is keeping the peace
So how did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #167
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 85 laser
Engine: 2.5 hybrid
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 11.585

jim34 is keeping the peace
it was a crappy day for sure super humid and nothing seemed to go right, best run was 12.2 @114 with 18 psi boost and 10-1 afr, tried getting the boost turned up but i just couldnt get the fuel right, im going to have to get inside this computer and start tuning.

also got some kind of idle to light throttle missfire going on and i suspect it might be the smec failing, my #1&4 injectors are a lot louder than the center 2&3 injectors for some reason, dont know if theres anyway to test the injector drivers...

Anyone got a spare chipped smec for sale ?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #168
Level 1 Supporter

Spent the last couple of weeks building a new intake manifold, got me a spool gun for welding aluminum and put myself on a crash course, welding aluminum is a pain and even worse when trying to weld thin material to thick material.

I used all scrap parts that were laying around the garage, gmc driveshaft for a 5" plenum, 97 neon intake runners wich have a really nice funnel shape as compared to anything else i could find, a ford supercoupe charge pipe to get the throttle body away from the plenum and then 2 pieces of 5x5 1/4" 6061 flat stock for the end caps and then one piece of 3/8" flat stock for the throttle mount.

Its not the most beautiful piece around by any means, everything was machined by my own hands as i dont have a lathe or mill, just a grinder belt sander and various air tools and hole saws as well as plenty of patience and determination.
Attached Thumbnails
my hybrid laser-sdc13505.jpg   my hybrid laser-sdc13504.jpg   my hybrid laser-sdc13507.jpg   my hybrid laser-sdc13506.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #169
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
Wow dude looks good to me!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #170
Boostaholic

Nicely done. Please post up results when you try it out.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:43 AM   #171
Level 1 Supporter

Thanks, I enjoyed the experience at least with aluminum its pretty easy to grind it down and reweld, you really have to work to position yourself to see the arc with the big bulky spool gun.
This manifold started out as a practice piece but it turned out better than i expected and after realizing how much work it was im pretty confidant this one will work nicely, pretty much improved on every aspect of the intake i have now.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #172
Level 1 Supporter

Starting the swap to a 91 shelby k frame and brakes all around, picked up some control arm bushings online that are surprisingly stiff, it said they were made by federated butwhen i got them the boxes say srt on them and made in the usa stamped on the bushings, hope i dont run into any snags but i have the whole car to swap the parts from so shouldnt be too bad.
Hoping the end result will be better braking,handling and #1 traction.

I have not installed the intake yet as im planning to pull the head and do some mild polishing on the ports and combustion chambers as well as getting the head milled and a little thicker head gasket that is now available.
Ive also got an agp knock off cast exhaust manifold as well as a holset hx35 turbo to try out at some point, have to pick up some 3.5" mandrel bends for the downpipe and a new flex coupler when finances allow it.

I assumed the shelby would have a better steering ratio but my laser currently turns 2 1/4 lock to lock and the shelby is 2 1/2 turns so im thinking im just going to stick with the rack i have.
I also found out my front crossmember is cracked more than half way around and is very weak going to have weld it up and add something to reinforce it.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #173
Boostaholic

Where did the crossmember crack?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #174
Level 1 Supporter

It cracked right next to the transmission/engine mount, im not even sure whats holding it together it cant be much.
And of course i had to cut every control arm bolt except for one, got the bushings punched out of the control arms, the parts car i picked up had new brakes all around but they sat a couple of years and need some cleaning and paint.
The stub strut suspension is just a poor design and it gets worse the more you lower the suspension as the stub side becomes bound up against the frame interfering with the struts dampening ability especielly with the harder bushings so im glad to be moving on from those flaws as anyone who has driven a car with newer design understands how much better the dual pivot suspension works.
It also looks like the ball joint sits about 1 inch lower in the knuckle so the geometry should be a lot nicer and would allow the car to be lowered more than the old school suspension.
Im impressed with the new control arm bushings they should literally last forever, going to have to pick up some new ball joints since the old ones feel kind of knotchy.

My friend is taking his camaro up to the dyno on saturday, if i can get the suspension done i might go up and make a few 93 octane pulls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.