Did anyone ever ask Mr Shelby..... - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > VNT & Other Turbo Vehicles

VNT & Other Turbo Vehicles Help for VNT cars & other turbocharged vehicle technical section.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Re: Did anyone ever ask Mr Shelby.....  
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.882

GLHNSLHT2 has really helped outGLHNSLHT2 has really helped out
A 2.5 16v would be cool :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #17
Super Pope

1/4: 0.000

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
The Shelby dak uses a 4 speed auto, that was a light weight 3.9 TBI unit that dies quickly with any power to it, the later 518 didn't exist yet. So to have a 360 and the right trans would mean a 727 3 speed.

The Shelby Dak used a Diplomat 318 oil pan and pick up and the car exhaust manifolds, lastly it got a one ton dual snorkel air cleaner for the other 5 HP over the 88 318 from a D150.

I have done a 360 swap, the oil pan hits. So a sledge hammer is needed lol. BTW for those that don't know the engine mounts are different as well between the 318 and 360 like the oil pans.

What could the truck got with very little effort? The Shelby Dak could have had an Edelbrock Performer EGR intake with a 360 TBI. A lot more air and less weight, all on top end which shouldn't have murdered the trans. Then the Edelbrock was an emission legal intake in CA with the EGR in place.

The fools moved the engine and trany back an inch and a half and didn't shorten the drive shaft. When they squat they impact the rear end pinion bearing.

Also the 360 TBI intake bolts right on and the larger 360 TBI uses the same injectors. MP dropped the factory cal and the one they sold for a while was the MP cal under the stock part number.

I rebuilt a TBI engine with the 9+ compression pistons and a .450" Custom Delta roller cam. The truck ran night and day better with the 360. Also the truck got poly and KYB gas adjust shocks with Eibach Pro kit springs with 2" lowering blocks to sit level. Night and day better handling, didn't lower the truck past stock. Stock they got V6 springs that crushed for an inch lower height, Eibachs your right there but stiff.

Big issue with Shelby Dak owners, you can buy a new computer. You can use a pick up computer either as they didn't have a tach or electric fans. There is a local place here though that'll rebuild the stock fans. Either shel-game or FWDperformace needs to get a MP cal and swipe the vin so that SOMEBODY can sell Shelby Dak people a computer. Also the rev limiter is crazy low and even with a better engine they don't rev past about 5100 RPM.

Loved mine but my dad let "jack" drive it, he rear ended my 93 Cummins W250 going 35 MPH. The 16K pintle and 15k class 5 raped the truck and it's frame to death. Hope to get another someday. There is a time and place for a 4 banger, a Shelby Rampage, not a heavy Dak. They should have built a new roller cam 340 block for the truck with 360 top end. The HP without the torque and the oil pan works and the trany lives, not to mention a new 340 block that doesn't cost $2800.... Bringing back the 340, even with less power would have been a massive hit with the old MP crowd.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 91 spirit r/t
Engine: TIII
1/4: 13.883

Millerman340 is keeping the peace
I think a TIII swap is the right choice... I like the idea of 25mpg & a easy 300 hp. I already battled a 93 dak with a built 360 with a 3000 stall , 3.90 gears. I was lucky to get 10 mpg with the 518od trans & driving in any mist or rain was useless. (I would have to sit & wait until it dried up some to even try to move... feather the gas,,spin,spin,spin etc... Ever tried pushing a rope ,But oh god would it run. (12.55 et) So I've been there...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerman340 View Post
I think a TIII swap is the right choice... I like the idea of 25mpg & a easy 300 hp. I already battled a 93 dak with a built 360 with a 3000 stall , 3.90 gears. I was lucky to get 10 mpg with the 518od trans & driving in any mist or rain was useless. (I would have to sit & wait until it dried up some to even try to move... feather the gas,,spin,spin,spin etc... Ever tried pushing a rope ,But oh god would it run. (12.55 et) So I've been there...
LMAO let me guess, you run a Holley / Demon with power valves? A 5.2 Dak like my Shelby got 25 with a TBI. The 92, 94, and 95's got 22-23 MPG, my dad has had 4 5.2 short cab, short bed 2wd trucks.

If your truck got 10 MPG and it ran 12.5 you either had the fuel way off on the primaries and OK at WOT or the truck was an 11 second truck lol. My Challenger, with a 440 gets 16 in town and runs 11.5-11.7 @ 121 MPH on pump. AND it runs a little on the rich side lol. I built a RPM Edelbrock setup for my 71 3/4 ton and with a loaded camper on it I got 19 running 70 and 18 in town unloaded (4.10s with a 727).

The T3 though, figured out today, has been the least reliable engine from Chrysler. Then people tow with the trucks, regardless if they should. A T3 powered Dak would have lasted as long as a candle made from solid rocket fuel LMAO

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #20
Boostaholic

My Ride: ACR'd peon, Dakota++

Jon Mopar is keeping the peace
He actually more or less addressed the "Why a V8?" question once, when being asked what the intention of the Shelby Dakota was. V8s offered both the power and torque Shelby wanted. Since GM had announced they would be offering a somewhat spirited 262cui 4.3 V6 in their small truck, which made 160+hp/230lbs tq, they would need to go even bigger. Nothing less than a V8 seemed to suit the sporty, yet rugged image these trucks were to have (despite being sporty, they were still marketed as strong, capable trucks). With a truck, bigger was better. Chrysler was simultaneously playing with the idea of dropping V8 in their Dakota line to make them top of their class, so it was only natural that Shelby used a 318 from the parts bin for his. After all, a 318 was merely a V6 with a couple of more cylinders, right? so it only made sense. When it came to performance and capability in a truck, a V8 is what buyers thought of.

The T-III was a power house, but keep in mind a 4cyl didn't give you the low end grunt you would want for hauling payload. Also, the T-III weren't totally reliable when new either. The 214hp 2.2 TIII would have been neat, but it wasn't around in the 80s

Many forget to that Shelby's wasn't the only Dakota to roll out into the public in the late 80s. Dodge released it's own V8 concept around the same time, featuring front styling cues that were so well received, they were put into production a couple years later when the Dakota was freshened up.

Last edited by Jon Mopar; 01-04-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
Super Pope

A local friend here got the Syclone when they came out. This was a truck even with a 4.3 turbo that melted down pretty easy. You can't warrenty a truck like that. Warrenty was so bad on just the T3 cars, the final 2.2 turbos, that we didn't even get the 2.4 turbo till 03 in America. The T3 would have been under boost, high boost for prolonged periods pulling. The head issues they had would have had them in the shop 24/7.

The turbo Daks you see today are people building them as a toy with todays tech added. Even the people that have build the turbo Dak with the 2.5 trans broke them as the trans caves with 8v power. So at the time they didn't have a 5 speed. So that left the A999 trans made for the 4 banger that one of the RWD guys is running. That would require the engine to be under boost almost non stop in a truck.

The 92 Dakota was the high water mark for Dodge performance in a truck until the Viper powered trucks and the new Hemi's. In 92 my friend had a Syclone and I was driving a 92 Dak. From a 40 MPH roll it was almost side by side, he gained a truck length by 120, my front bumper on his rear. Then I added a 3" dynomax turbo muffler and pipe and a drop in K&N air filter and took off the block off plate. Then gained a truck length on the Syclone, BUT I could also pull a trailer and the 92 was used for work daily. I used the Dak to pull my Challenger to the track on a 7K trailer. Then I raced the Challenger and my dad ran 15.3@97 with the Dak. The early 318 got a larger cam with more duration, bigger exhaust manifolds and 2 3/4" exhaust including the 2 3/4" cat. By 95 they came out with a 5 speed, I added traction bars for bad wheel hop. The truck couldn't trap, we added all the bolt ons to it and with the little cam it never got over 91 MPH. But I could do a 14.9-15.0 with it and the stick on stock tires.

I can't remember the towing and hauling of the 92 or the Shelby off hand. The 95 5 speed though had the highest rating back then, my dad bought it for hauling a cabin cruizer a Bayliner 2452 which it didn't like lol. It was rated at 2600 lbs payload, it had factory over loaders. Then it had a factory 7100 lb towing which was great but the cabin cruiser is like hauling horses, it moves around and feels top heavy. So the Dak didn't want to turn lol. When I backed it into the lake the front tires came off the ground lol. It did a wheel stand on the dry when pulling it out. Plenty of power and cooling though but turning sucked.

Most Shelbys of the time were bought for towing BTW, not because they were a hot rod but for a v8 in a little truck for towing. One of the trucks sold here some old people bought with a small 5th wheel, the mid size 24' models. They drilled big holes in the doors and added huge chrome steel truck mirrors to it. Because of that out cry of support and people loving the trucks, as trucks, Mopar went full steam for the V8 in production. It made the Dak hugely popular over the others for long time.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
Hybrid Booster

I love that concept truck, it looks just like the factory 91 & up. Also I agree with you Pope the turbo 3 I would have never made it under warranty . it would have been under boost like a Cummings turbo diesel all the time. lol But for me it's just a toy that would be a daily driver .
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Hybrid Booster

I love that concept truck, it looks just like the factory 91 & up. Also I agree with you Pope the turbo 3 I would have never made it under warranty . it would have been under boost like a Cummings turbo diesel all the time. lol But for me it's just a toy that would be a daily driver .
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #24
Hybrid Booster

Thanks guys, Here's whats left..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
Hybrid Booster

Got a 95 4cyl cab & wiring today to replace & convert over to a stick..
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
Super Pope

That's really sad there, how did it get so bad?

Also you don't need the W150 cross member in there anymore, and it adds a ton of weight.

My first TD had an engine fire like that and I brought it back to life as well. But when they get hit with death it follows them. Mine I got after a friend cut the front end off with a gaurd rail, a clean cut and I welded on a new front section. Then while a girl friend had it she raced some one and the battery exploded causing an engine fire. I wasn't there and she let the thing idle pumping gas to it. Had piles of plastic from the air cleaner on the piston tops. Then it came back from death again and some one I thought would take care of it got it, they abused it. Had brand new looking interior in 2000, just needed paint. He used it as a pick up truck hauling greasy engine parts. Then I got it back and dumped it again. The next clown had it sit for 6 months, said it would never run again. I spent 20 minutes in his garage after buying it back and drove it home. At this point I parted the car and put it to rest where it needed to be years earlier. Hopefully your project doesn't end up a bad horror flick.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #27
Hybrid Booster

I hope not also, We will see though.... I have way to many projects already but I can't let it die right now...It has one more life & my Brother loves it & won't beat on it like I would with the TIII in it.. I don't know what I would do if it was my White R/T..... I plan on keeping it as long as I can.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #28
Boostaholic

My Ride: ACR'd peon, Dakota++

Jon Mopar is keeping the peace
that sucks!! Hopefully she can be saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerman340 View Post
I do too! they used a lot from the concept in 91. Wheels, front end, even the few upgrades to the interior (like the 3 spoke "sport" steering wheel). Neat fact about the Dakota CC Sport concept is that it had a very Avalanche-esque rear box with fold down panel for in-cab pass through, much like what we saw GM do with their trucks many years later. Copy cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.