01 3.9 v6 Dakota no start - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 12-26-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1989 dodge Daytona
1/4: 0.000

01 3.9 v6 Dakota no start

I posted this in the Chrysler v6 section not really knowing we're to post it. Any ideas would help I'm outa ideas. I'll make it short. I let it warm up one morning to come out ten min later to find it had died. And it hasn't started since. It has fuel pressure in the rail. Pump works. Has spark. Cranks normal. Could it be a crank or cam sensor? Or could the timing chain have snapped while it was idoling? It has 160 k on it. It did this once before . I replaced the cap and rotor and it fixed it. That was a month ago. It can't be the cap again can it?. I'm gonna try to get a scan tool. But I can't get one just yet. I've never had any issues with it except the cap and rotor. It's weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-26-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

I realize I posted this before. I checked on some of the advise you gave me. Thank you very much. I guess I'm just wondering if it could be the cam or crank sensor. Or a timing chain. Somthing I haven't thaught of before. It does sound the same as it always has while cranking. What kind of scan tool would be best for this? Also on another note what kind of scan tool would I need for my spirit turbo?
post #3 of 24 Old 12-28-2016, 07:51 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Re: 01 3.9 v6 Dakota no start

If you have the proper Fuel and Spark the issue will not be a Cam or Crank Sensor, Distributor Cap/Rotor or Timing Chain.
The system operates the same as our TD's.
The controller must see a Cam/Crank signal before it actuates the ASD Relay which will give you fuel and spark.

Some newer Mopars will still give codes with the key on/off method so try it and see.
The questions are...
1)Are any fault codes stored?
2)Is fuel pressure correct/in specs?
3)How strong is the spark? 25 KV Minimum
4)Are the injectors being pulsed?
If the answer to all of the above is Yes then the question is...
5)Is everything happening at the right time?

If not you will need an OBD scanner to retrieve any fault codes.
Your Spirit is OBD 1 and has Chrysler only Datalink Connectors.
There are scanners that will do both you just have to be sure you have the proper adapters.
The OBD 2 datalink connectors are the same for all cars 96- up however, depending on the scanner there nay be different software for each manufacturer.
My Son has a Snap On MT2500 which is updated to 2005 and he has all of the Chrysler/GM/Ford OBD 1 and Body Control Adapters and all of the software keys for OBD 2 up to 2005.

You can also look for a used OTC Monitor 4000 or Chrysler DRB2 to use only on your Spirit or any Mopar from 1983 - 1995.
You can also rent/buy OBD2 scanners from AZ or buy just an OBD2 code retrieval tool.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

38 Years ASE Certified

post #4 of 24 Old 12-29-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Hello thanks for the info. I just wanted to add that being as I have no scan tools of any kind at the moment. I thaught I'd try relying on my senses. Lol. Everything appears in order. Except for spark. I don't know if I'm right or wrong in this but every time I've tested spark in any car . The spark has been bluish and with a sharp sounding tick,tick,tick sound accompanying it. When I test the truck I get an orange dull spark with a weak sounding pop,pop,pop sound. Just seems weird to me. But even at that what could that be? It has a new cap rotor and coil. It's a mystery! Gotta get a scan tool I guess. But the ones I've seen are a lot of money. Is there a decent one that's not a ton of money?
post #5 of 24 Old 12-30-2016, 09:56 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Did you try manually checking for fault codes?
post #6 of 24 Old 12-30-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

I've never done that. R u talking about the dash light? I've literally never known anything about codes and code reading. I've always just fixed stuff based on what the cars is doing and apparently luck! Lol. But it's time I learned how to do this stuff! I had a car that would blink a sequence of blinks and in the sequence of the flashes you could look up what it was telling you. Is that what ur talking about? Or are you talking about retreaving codes with a code reader? And if so is that all you do? Just ply in and it'll give you the things wrong with it? Like I said I've never done it before. I know that's amazing to hear lol.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-31-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Ok so I forgot to ask u said if the timing chain snapped it wouldn't get spark correct? I guess that makes sense the cam is geared to the distributor right? What if the chain stretched! Would it still spark? Of course I highly doubt it could stretch while idoling in the driveway. It started just fine I don't get it. Well I will for sure let you know what it was when and if I figure it out. I guess what I gotta do is get a code reader right? I found one at harbor freight for like 50 bucks. It says it's an obd 2 and can code reader. Will that work? And how do u use it? Thank u for ur help I know I probly seem like a newb . And I guess I am when it comes to electronics and code reading. Ther are other obd2 code readers ther for more but that all do the same thing. One says it has I/m readiness and updatable database that one is 80 bucks then one that clears abs and says obd2 all models 1-10 it's 108 bucks but thay all read codes. Are these the things your talking about?
post #8 of 24 Old 01-01-2017, 03:44 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

On older Chrysler fuel injected vehicles you could retrieve fault codes by turning the key on/off, on/off, on and the CEL would flash numerous times indicating fault code numbers.
In 1990 Chrysler was going to do away with this but never did.

When OBD 2 started in 96 the assumption was you now needed a scan tool to retrieve codes and that was also incorrect.
When I was working at Jeep we were still able to retrieve codes with the old time key on/off method on some Chrysler vehicles.
The codes would display where the digital odometer is.

You have nothing to lose by trying it.
OBD1 Codes Retrieval-Chrysler 1983-1995 vehicles

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

38 Years ASE Certified
post #9 of 24 Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Ok thanks for that. I did it and got a code p1491 I lookd it up on google and it told me it means" rad fan delay circut open" would that cause it to not run? It doesn't even have an engine light on. Also I've read that the pressure in the rail should be 40ish psi. So when I turn the key to the on position I can hear the fuel pump pump up. But when I push the valve down on the fuel rail there's barely any pressure. There some but very little. It certainly doesn't seem like 40 psi. Is that normal? Also would a fuel pump going out have an engine light or code? This thing is a freaking paradox! I'll have my cheap scanner in like two weeks. I'm just fiddling with it till then so any way I thank u for ur help! I know it must be trying on the nerves to have to explain all this just know I'm very thankful!
post #10 of 24 Old 01-04-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Also I forgot to ask ther is an empty relay socket that's says ebl relay on the top of the fuse box. Do u know what ebl stands for? Also if u can pull codes by doing the key thing. Then do u still need the scanner to pull different codes?
post #11 of 24 Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Just saw your responses, for some reason I am not receiving notifications for all threads I am involved with in my e-mail.
I will get back to you tonight.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Ok bud thanks. I also forgot you said I wouldn't have spark if I had a bad crank sensor or a bad cam sensor or a bad Timing chain right? I have weak spark so I'm leaning towers ignition problems of some kind.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-05-2017, 06:37 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Assuming this vehicle does not have a vehicle theft system either factory or aftermarket...

In order to properly diagnose your no start issue you will need to borrow/rent/purchase some diagnostic equipment so you can perform a logical diagnostic sequence to locate the cause of your no start condition.
ASSUMING THERE ARE NO FAULT CODES...

1)TESTING THE IGNITION SYSTEM/ADJUSTABLE SPARK TESTER
You need to verify that proper ignition is occurring and I would suggest using an adjustable spark tester which will tell you exactly how much voltage you are producing.
You need to produce a minimum of 25 KV from the coil and at each plug.
If 25 KV is not present you can lower the KV requirement on the tester just to see how much voltage if any is actually being produced.
a)Do you have spark at the coil wire? (25 KV)
YES...Continue to Step c
NO...Continue Below
b)Is the Distributor turning?
YES...Diagnose and Repair Primary Ignition System
NO...Repair Timing Chain/Sprockets/Distributor Drive System.
c)Do you have spark (25 KV) at the plug wires?
NO...Check/Replace the Distributor Cap/Rotor/Ignition Wires.
YES...Continue to Step 2

NOTE...
If you have a no spark issue be sure the spark plugs are not fuel fouled and the oil is not fuel diluted, if they are clean/replace the plugs and change the oil then disable the fuel system while performing further diagnostics.

2)CHECKING FUEL PRESSURE IS CORRECT/FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE
a)Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and crank the engine.
b)Is fuel pressure within specs?
NO...Diagnose and Repair Fuel System
YES...Continue to Step 3

3)INJECTOR PULSE/NOID LIGHTS
a)Connect the Noid Light to each injector connector and crank the engine.
Does the Noid light pulse on/off at each injector connector?
YES...Continue to Step 4
NO...
b)Verify TPS voltage is below 2.50 volts at closed throttle.
Is the TPS voltage below 2.50 volts?
NO...Repair TPS Circuit
YES...Diagnose and Repair Injector Power/Control Circuit

4)ENGINE MECHANICAL
a)Verify Cam Timing is correct.

AUTOZONE RENTAL TOOLS (Leave a deposit for the cost of the tool, use the tool, return the tool and get all of your money back)
http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...?checkfit=true

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...diagnostic-kit

ADJUSTABLE SPARK TESTER
http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...?checkfit=true

USING AN ADJUSTABLE SPARK TESTER

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

38 Years ASE Certified
post #14 of 24 Old 01-05-2017, 06:39 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

To answer your other question...

EBL stands for Electric Back Light which is technical terminology for the Rear Window Defogger.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-06-2017, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Ok thank you for the In depth instructions. I've been on line reading things and watching you tube vids all day about this truck and I'm feeling more and more like it's an ignition problem. Also before I forget no it has no sicurity system. I know I have fuel the pump primes the rail. The plugs are wet with fuel when cranked. He just replaced the coil a month or so befor this happend. And the cam and rotor as well. Spark is weak I can see that. So I'm going to test it as you said to do. It may simply be plug wires. I have noticed spark is a lot hotter at the coil . But at the lugs it's very weak. So wires or cap and rotor is we're I'll check first. No engine light so that would mean all sensors are fine correct? And I think I figured out that p1491 fan relay code to. When I wiggled the fan relay I wouldn't get the code any more. But I keep thinking the engine light never came on ya know? It comes on when ignition is first turnd on . Then goes off in a sec like it should. Also I was told to check the tach while cranking for movment if thers movement I was told that means the computer is working. But I herd that from some random person on line. So I'm gonna try all that and pray it works. Haha. One more question if I may. Am I right that if the check engine light never came on that the sensors should be fine? And I know the check engine light works correctly now. And no more codes are presant when turning the key 3 times. In your opinion wouldn't that mean the systems sensors and computer are working? Thank you so much for your help! Have a good night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page