New to Dodge's, Advice needed - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Carburetted and TBI Injected

Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Re: New to Dodge's, Advice needed  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 77 Celica Liftback
Engine: 2.4L Dodge 420a
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

wicked93gs is keeping the peace
Performance-wise ...and if you are mechanically inclined you are best off just doing a whole drivetrain swap...turbo II engine+5 speed trans...but there are quite a few parts to collect for that...luckily a lot of it can be found in the junkyards if you are a scrounger like me....tons of old turbo dodge turbo I engines can be found in the junkyard along with their ECUs and wiring harnesses...sometimes you find a good 5 speed trans as well....engine would likely need a rebuild...but its all easy enough...again, if you are mechanically inclined...could all be done for under $1000 for a stock rebuild+swap, best bang for the buck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #17
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1990 Dodge Shadow

inagawa is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Performance-wise ...and if you are mechanically inclined you are best off just doing a whole drivetrain swap...turbo II engine+5 speed trans...but there are quite a few parts to collect for that...luckily a lot of it can be found in the junkyards if you are a scrounger like me....tons of old turbo dodge turbo I engines can be found in the junkyard along with their ECUs and wiring harnesses...sometimes you find a good 5 speed trans as well....engine would likely need a rebuild...but its all easy enough...again, if you are mechanically inclined...could all be done for under $1000 for a stock rebuild+swap, best bang for the buck
yeah but, got to get that type of money first.. lol,
Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
Garrett Booster

well, you also wont get that type of money by spending it on bumpers and inefficient intake setups either if you see what I am saying....better to save till you have enough to do something worth the effort...or even buy things a piece at a time....engine from the junkyard(you pull it) $100, tranny from the junkyard $50, misc harnesses ecus and pedals and cables $50....then you lurk in the for sale forum getting things like rings and bearings and timing belts, etc that people have left over from builds and are parting with fairly cheap....its all fairly easy and seems cheaper when the cost is spread out over time....its how I did my first build....you collect until you are ready to rebuild the engine...then you rebuild it....get all the parts you need, then one weekend just swap the engine and tranny...very minimal downtime if you do it right
Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #19
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
well, you also wont get that type of money by spending it on bumpers and inefficient intake setups either if you see what I am saying....better to save till you have enough to do something worth the effort...or even buy things a piece at a time....engine from the junkyard(you pull it) $100, tranny from the junkyard $50, misc harnesses ecus and pedals and cables $50....then you lurk in the for sale forum getting things like rings and bearings and timing belts, etc that people have left over from builds and are parting with fairly cheap....its all fairly easy and seems cheaper when the cost is spread out over time....its how I did my first build....you collect until you are ready to rebuild the engine...then you rebuild it....get all the parts you need, then one weekend just swap the engine and tranny...very minimal downtime if you do it right
i didn't buy bumper's, actually that's a lie, i had to replace the rear bumper because it didn't have one when i bought it and i plan to get some real aero done to the body later in the future. and the intake isn't ineffient, if it adds mpg for now " which it does" and a lil more umph than it works for me. Over here though, its expensive at junkyards, it was $40.00 just for the rear bumper... plus i'm in the process of moving so, i'm noot seeing parts for a while and i want to start with a mild N/A build to get use to the car for scca..
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1989 Dodge Shadow ES
Engine: 2.5l

1989ESturbo is keeping the peace
Why ad aero to it. These cars look their best when they are clean and original. All those ebay bolt ons are for those gay ricers. $2500 is a rip off for that car. It's only worth $1500 on a good day. If you dont have the money to do it the RIGHT way dont wast your money. Put it in your honda
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989ESturbo View Post
Why ad aero to it. These cars look their best when they are clean and original. All those ebay bolt ons are for those gay ricers. $2500 is a rip off for that car. It's only worth $1500 on a good day. If you dont have the money to do it the RIGHT way dont wast your money. Put it in your honda
Old thread but, i include my .02.... Aero added to any car makes it perform better. Not talking about fulgy body kits and gt spoilers i'm talking simple modifications. Front lip/ air dam improves downforce, especially on fwd; have greater stability in higher speeds, and benefits just the look overall which isn't hurting anything. Wind splitters/ diffusers just add to the benefits and believe it or not add mpg since its less resistance taken while driving. its not like im fast and furious out a car and claim hp from aero mods, but it does help more than harm. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Me personally, i like a modified look over anything oem, i don't want to look the same as the next car thats the same make and model, perfer to trend not follow. And ebay bolt on huh? Idk about you but, i never had a problem with any ebay/ so called ricer " which is rude to say by the way, car enthusiast respect each other no matter what car they drive, and what they choose to do with it.. Posers only say degrogetory shit like that" but anyways, theres not alot of aftermarket for these types of cars so you got to improvise, and yeah i didnt have alot of money at the time but i made it work... I took a diffrent route, but it worked out for me and learn through the whole process, which that matters the most at the time.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
Garrett Booster

I dont even remember posting in this thread so it must be old....but anyway, sure aero mods will help...but only when you are driving over the legal speed limit...you wont see much if any difference below that. Engine mods on the other hand will net you real every day driving gains.
To the op.. As for an intake being effective for anything on an otherwise stock car bwahahaha! Sure they will net you zome piwer...in conjunction with a free flowing larger exhaust....some port work and a larger cam...but on a stock engine they wont help anything one little bit, you seem to be forgetting, the OEMs already designed it for maximum fuel efficiency. I hate to say it but I really doubt some aftermarket intake is going to out engineer chysler's design when it comes to mpg.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #23
TD New Guy

Haha, you have your opinion, i have mines.. Nuff said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.