Almost Fixed, Few more problems - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Carburetted and TBI Injected

Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Almost Fixed, Few more problems  
Garrett Booster

1/4: 0.000

americankozak2 is keeping the peace
Hey all, its been a while since I have posted anything. The shadow (1989 2.2L TBI) has been progressing slowly since I am away from home and can only get to the car once every several months.

On my last trip home, I finally fixed the vent issue where if you went WOT the vents would only blow to the floor. It was a one way check valve off of the brake booster that fed vacuum to the dash that went bad.

My next problem to tackle is the car appears to only be firing on 3 cylinders when you first start the engine. Like, the RPMS sit at around 5-600 and the engine sounds like its misfiring. If i give the engine some gas/throttle and take it to 1500 rpm or a little more for like 5 seconds, then let go of the gas, it runs and purrs just like its suppose to on all four cylinders and I dont have any further issues whats so ever. It does not matter if it is a hot start or cold start situation. It has a complete ignition tuneup, so I know it is not a spark issue as a baseline to start off with. Looking to start accumulating ideas for the next time im hope to diagnose.

Also, for the life of me, i could not find where the preheat tube was suppose to attach off the exhaust manifold. Can someone please post a pic of where it attaches to the exhaust manifold for me that way I can pass it on to my brother who is still at home so he can get it on there?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Re: Almost Fixed, Few more problems  
Boost is a good thing!!

My Ride: 86 GLHS #295
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

Steve in Va is keeping the peace
The exhaust mani has a flimsy shied that the preheat tube should go on. If that shield is missing (which many are) then of course it has no place to go. If getting thru emissions testing, just fake them out by routing it back there and zip tie it to that 3/4" round metal tube. If they try to pull on it it wont move since its zip tied. Been there done that.

If you can get the car down to the Triangle, VA area (20 minutes south) I can help you trouble shoot some problems with it. I have a TBI car my son drives and I'm well versed in those type of problems, plus 25 years building the turbo dodges.
1986 GLHS #295
1987 Shelby Lancer #415 (converted to stick)
1983 Dodge Rampage Prospector TII
1991 Daytona ES 2.5 N/A (parting out)
1987 Shelby Lancer (parting out, cloth 5sp)
1999 GMC Suburban 454 2wd
2009 Chrysler 300 Limited
glhs@verizon.net (home email)
five four zero-5onefour-two9nine1 (cell)
Triangle, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Garrett Booster

I am currently several states away and cannot make that trip with the car for that reason. I will take you up on that offer next time im back in the area if i havent figured out the problem beforehand.

If you have a n/a, could you shoot a picture of the shield your talking about (where the hose connects) because I do not remember seeing that shield when I was working down there last.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1
Induct: Turbo

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
on the shield there will be a round empty connector on it sticking up, connect the pipe to that and the nipple on the bottom of the airbox
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Garrett Booster

Alrighty, ive passed that info on to my brother to take a look.

Any ideas as far as the startup condition?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Boost is a good thing!!

My Ride: 86 GLHS #295
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

Steve in Va is keeping the peace
Startup conditions are hard to diagnose over the net.

How old is the fuel pump?
How old is the cat converter?

My kids 91 Daytona ran like crap on startup. I noticed steam coming from the exhaust mani by the EGR valve. Put a new cat converter on it and the problem went away.

Take a overheard shot of the position of the distribuer and post it up here. You may be off a few teeth on timiing or something, just a quess.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Garrett Booster

1) i am not home anymore, i cant do anything/take pics/work on it/ ect..

2) it got a brand new exhaust system from the converter back 2 weeks ago and the problem didnt go away, i thought it was a blocked cat myself but that didnt solve it
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Garrett Booster

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.