More '82 Rampage Questions - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Carburetted and TBI Injected

Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
More '82 Rampage Questions  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1982 Dodge Rampage
Engine: I4 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.000

RampageWrase is keeping the peace
Hey guys! So at the moment I have my 1982 Dodge Rampage parked for the winter in a neighbors garage and I will be getting it out sometime in early April hopefully. I'm going to be using it for my junior prom which is in the first week of May so I won't have much time to be getting things done on it before then so I'm trying to prepare myself for that time by doing some research and figuring things out. At the time it was parked in December it ran fine for the most part but had some issues(which had been in place for some time already) that I hope to correct at some point, these include: bogging down and sputtering when the throttle is wide open or around 5K rpm and speedometer spins back and forth over 45 or just randomly when cold. Those are the main issues. I'm guessing that the reason why it bogs down is because the second butterfly opens up and it floods it or it starves it, we took it in for a tuneup this summer and the mechanic took the choke plate off of one of the two so I have a feeling that could be the cause but what do you guys think? The speedo I have no clue what could be wrong there so someone should enlighten me on their thought.

Then I was also thinking about some mods and parts. I'm thinking of removing the cat and resonator and pipe it out the side infront of left rear wheel with some sort of muffler. MSD Coil, wires and hotter plugs. Remove some of the stupid emissions crap. And finally maybe a Weber 32/36 and a mild cam. Do these ideas sound reasonable and workable or is there anything here that I should steer away from?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Re: More '82 Rampage Questions  
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII, SMEC, .60/.63, 2-piece, 52mm, no B/S ;)
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.800

detobias is keeping our cars running
bog would suggest 'accelerator pump' issues..
high-rpm miss suggests fuel flow, either fuel supply or carb Primary circuit.

start by replacing fuel filter if that hasnt been done recently.

then, I would pull the carb off, inspect & rebuild, re-install...
you can eliminate any potential carb/manifold leaks by doing this too.

the early holley carbs are pretty easy to "rebuild",
although removing & installing them is a bit of a knuckle scraper.

particularly check for wear/slop in the carb body around the throttle shaft.
a vacuum leak here can disrupt idle/low-speed operation

speedo bounce is usually a speedo cable dying ,.,
although it may just be dry too from sitting so long..

I'd remove it and try to lube the heck out of it;
meanwhile start looking for a replacement ..
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1996 Dodge 2500 CTD
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Induct: Turbo

sinfulrelations is keeping the peace
go with the weber!!! weber carbs direct has them for 200 shipped, and the speedo cable go with what detobias said lube it up i find pb blaster works wonders with speedo cables, good luck with the little trucklet!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Garrett Booster

My Ride: Shelby CSX # X11

Joe Anderson is keeping the peace
To use a Weber on a 84 Rampage,which is the best part number to use?

What needs to be done to the linkage,and or fuel lines?

Do the jets need to be modified for the correct fuel flow?

Is the choke automatic,or manual?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
TD New Guy

Thanks guys! I think when I get the cash I'm gonna get the Weber for sure, in the mean time I'm gonna probably do what detobias said. But with my other ideas there like the cam for instance, what cam should I get that'd still work for normal driving? And would I have to change up some other things to make the cam feasable?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2

83scamp is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageWrase View Post
Thanks guys! I think when I get the cash I'm gonna get the Weber for sure, in the mean time I'm gonna probably do what detobias said. But with my other ideas there like the cam for instance, what cam should I get that'd still work for normal driving? And would I have to change up some other things to make the cam feasable?
I went with the Mopar "767" (I think ?) cam. .460" lift, 244 duration. Definitely woke the little bugger up. I don't think they are available anymore though. I would probably go with a Comp cams 22-127-6. 268 duration, .460" lift, That should definitely wake it up. Summit Racing has them for $199.95. You probably want to go a little stiffer on the valve springs with this combo, especially if you want to rev it. As always, new cam followers are a requirement. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade to PT lash adjusters while your at it.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
TD New Guy

Okay sweet! Yeah I'll definitely invest in all that once I get the money, I'm assuming it's pretty easy to swap a cam out too (I know my way around cars, just haven't gotten my hands too greasy yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
carb, dodge, n/a, rampage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.