turboing a 1st gen. neon - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Carburetted and TBI Injected

Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 11:40 PM   #1
turboing a 1st gen. neon  
Boostaholic

My Ride: 88 Dayt 82 Rampage
Engine: 2.5/2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

W.P._TurboCars is keeping the peace
What would it take to turbo a 1st gen. Neon? I have my Mitsu and know I will need bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump. What else?

Thanks.
Gary

Last edited by W.P._TurboCars; 12-05-2004 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #2

Boostaholic

My Ride: 93' Turbo Duster
Engine: 2.5L T2/S60
1/4: 13.554

d_snook6 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.P._TurboCars
What would it take to turbo a 1st gen. Neon? I have my Mitsu and know I will need bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump. What else?

Thanks.
Gary
intercooler, if you want it to last anytime, and retard your timing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #3

Boostaholic

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:48 PM   #4

TD New Guy

schu725 is keeping the peace
go to the whinny *****es of neons.org there is quite a bit of stuff... in fact the hahn kit doesnt come with bigger injectors or a fuel pump... since it's a low psi setup.... but chris barnett has hit 11.99 on stock engine and only 9 psi... so check it out....
Old 12-08-2004, 08:24 PM   #5

TD New Guy

djt81185 is keeping the peace
You can use an srt-4 manifold assuming it is a dohc...it'll bolt right up minus 2 bolts
Old 12-09-2004, 09:20 AM   #6

Boostaholic

it's a non DOHC. It's a project for one of my co-workers. I'm just rounding up parts for him and gettin' the info.;)
Old 12-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #7

TD New Guy

schu725 is keeping the peace
the hahn racecraft kit uses stock fuel pump (just added a booster pump) and injectors, if it's a low boost setup you can get away with stock injectors, but 24's are recomended. FPR, RRFPR, manifold, s-16g is a good on, or a t-3/t4 hybrid depending on your manifold plans.. return line, spoolboy fuel pump mod, missing link, and oil, and coolant lines, along with misc fittings.... breif list not including piping, intercooler, blood seat tears, lighter wallet, and a nice BOV (if it's 5 speed)... good luck... i'm doing one as welll feel free to pm me.. i'm doing a 2.4, dohc srt manifold, and other goodies in a 96 acr.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:29 AM   #8

Boostaholic

Induct: N/A

Neonkitten63 is keeping our cars running
Good luck turbo charging a neon or any american n/a car for that matter, most who do it with a neon, get sick of it due to all the problems. But do let us know your results.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #9

Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: 1986 Plymouth Horizo
Engine: 2.2 Turbo
1/4: 11.705

contraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better placecontraption22 is making this site a better place
Hahn Racecraft has their new Port Fueler system, which instead of running RRG regulators and all that stuff, adds 4 extra injectors to your intake. Its a manifold spacer that bolts inbetween the head and intake manifold. With this system, you will not need to add a return line, only a high volume in-tank pump. Hahn will program it for your setup before shipping, but if you need custom fuel tuning, it is also laptop programmable.

When not in boost, your car will drive like stock. When the boost comes on, the port fueler takes care of your extra fuel needs.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:07 AM   #10

TD New Guy

iceracer is keeping the peace
Most of the problems come from doing half-ass setups. People take a car that doesn't run correctly in the first place and then try to turbo it.

I am working on making up an adapter so I can put a srt-4 turbo on my buddies sohc neon. If you want reliable, stick with the srt-4 turbo/manifold. You can't beat using a turbo(on a neon at least) that has factory proven reliability. No smoking junk rebuilt, just a slightly used srt-4 turbo.

You don't have to reduce timing if you have lowered your compression. Just make sure you have some good leaded 100+ in there when you are at the dragstrip.

I've been using the srt-4 turbo since before many people even owned their srt's. Everyone kept saying "that turbo is junk, don't waste your time, it's too small".

Since march 2003 I've put 35,000+ miles on my turbo neon. It's not my daily driver, but I love it so much that I drive it whenever I get the chance. It has never left me on the side of the road, but I have had a few issues with the serpentine belt that runs the alternator and a/c which led to a few close calls.

I only get 18-20 mpg in the city, but on the highway averaging 75-85mph I get a solid 34-36 mpg(it's a 5-speed).

I will get into the 11s on this turbo without nitrous. I just need better slicks..

1995 Neon 2.4 SRT Turbocharged
12.18 @ 113.07 on slicks 1.81 60ft
12.55 @ 115.00 on OEM Eagle GA's 2.07 60ft
278WHP/384WTQ

1985 GLH-T
2.2 T2 bottom end/garret/intercooled/87 electronics/520trans/rust!
13.79 @ 101.79 Drag Radials
Old 01-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #11

TD New Guy

elmocarman is keeping the peace
Look up Hahn Racecraft on the net. that's what i did
Old 01-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #12

Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: 88 sundance

jdawg is keeping our cars runningjdawg is keeping our cars running
is it any easier on a eclipse non turbo? the exh manifold is in the front, my girl wants her car faster and i cant talk her into n02 (shes afraid of fines) I got a spare mitsu teo4 layin around in good shape. Does anyone know if the 2.5" swingvalve will bolt to a turbo that had a 2.25", for that matter? I got stuck with the little one. I thought the little mitsu with fast spool up would be great, and if I limited it to like 8 or 9 psi then i wouldnt have to do major upgrades, just a little fuel tweaking.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #13

Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: 88 sundance

jdawg is keeping our cars runningjdawg is keeping our cars running
sorry, its a 99 with the dohc chrysler engine
Old 10-10-2007, 02:26 AM   #14
Re: turboing a 1st gen. neon  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 96 neon 2 door

harpow2650 is keeping the peace
ok i got sum questions. my 96 2.0 sohc neon is running rich and has multipal misfires on all pistons. i replaced the o2 senc. its ether the coil or a temp senc. wtf is it. and im going to turbo my neon and i dono if the srt-4 manifold will bolt right up to it?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
Re: turboing a 1st gen. neon  
TD New Guy

EXTREME PSI is keeping the peace
for one a 02 sensor wont cause a misfire ck ur pugs and wires first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.