Cummins head porting - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Cummins Turbo Diesel

Cummins Turbo Diesel Repair and performance for the Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesels.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #16

TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 91 Spirit R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 11.686

mopar2ya is keeping our cars runningmopar2ya is keeping our cars running
If your only running diesel and no power adders, more fuel= more boost, which also makes more EGT, this means you need to add more air. This is done by a larger turbo or porting. Downside to bigger turbo is lag, and depending on your application is a PITA. The porting allows more air than upgrading from a HX-35 to a HX40 and does so more efficiently which means the turbo can deliver a cooler denser charge.

I do the head, and exhaust manifold for 1050.00 Performance valve job is available for a fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #17

TD New Guy

My Ride: 98 Ram
Engine: 5.9
1/4: 0.000

Lucky Jeff is keeping the peace
I've got some DDP injectors, 022 delivery valves, 10 plate, 3k GSK. PDR35 was too small, Grenaded the Dodgezilla hotrod 40. now I'm running a HTT 64/14. If I can't find anyone around here to do the porting.. I guess I'll be looking into shipping.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #18

Garrett Booster

My Ride: Shelbys or Cummins

glhs950 is keeping the peace
Jeff; I think I would try Lonewolfs head before PDRs.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #19

TD New Guy

moorepowercoati is keeping the peace
I am not attempting to stir a fire, but Piers has been doing the Diesel work for a long time. I am looking at there flow charts right now and a max ported 12 valve "stage 3" flows less than a "stage 1" on the exaust and 11 cfm less on the exhaust than a stage 2. The stage 1 24 valve flows 9 more cfm than the stage 3 12 valve. Also the 24 valve valves weigh less alowing them to rev higher, as seen with the common rail 3500 rpm fuel shutoff. Cams also make a huge differance in spoolup and egt, often increasing h.p. but not always as is the case with ported heads. The common rail engines have made over 800 h.p. with a big single and when they get the twin cp3 high pressure pumps bugs worked out whould be pushing the 1000 h.p. mark with twins. The big advantage of the twins is near stock spoolup with the airflow capacity of the huge single. What alot of people not up on diesels do not realize is that the "high reving common rail" makes peak power at 2900 rpm, just 1000 rpm above peak torque. Horsepower is a function of rpm, so what do you think these 1400 lb. ft. monsters would do with the high rpm figured into the picture? There are many guys with 400-500 h.p. daily drivers getting from 16-20 mpg and still able to move a 8000 + lb. aerodynamic brick into the 12's and the fast ones are rapidly aproaching the 10's with the 2wd race trucks! Again I am not bashing, but most do it with stock heads, other than o-rings and valve springs! Happy new years guys. www.moorepower.com
Old 12-30-2006, 01:31 PM   #20

TD Extreme User!

Im stumped by what your point is, but I'll take a stab. First of all just adding air wont make power without adding fuel. If you over fuel then you run high EGTs and need to add air. This is done by a variety of ways, camshaft, larger turbo, ported head, larger valves etc. By adding cams you wont make any additional peak power. Plus a ported head is more able to move spent gasses out of the chamber allowing a good charge in and spooling the turbo quicker.

Ive looked at and also own a Cummins, and frankly the diesel crowd takes a very neanderthal approach to performance. Even though what they do works, they leave alot on the table. And as stated earlier a ported head will provide more air than upgrading from a stock turbo to a HX40. Its about efficiency and finness which will get you the same result with less stress on the other components. If you dont open up the runners and bowls you WILL have to work everything that much harder to get the gains you want. Its like blowing through a straw if you want to get more air through it, you have to blow harder and harder, eventually you will go red in the face and get light headed, but a guy with a larger straw can move the same air and stay relaxed doing it. Just my opinion.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #21

TD Hardcore User!

DirectConnection is ready to make a name for oneself
I'm currently working on a 24v turbodeisel cummins 5.9. It will run 100psi boost and they are shooting for 1,000hp in a.......... lobster boat.

I just finished line boring the cam's housing bores in the block...what a *****. The owner supplied us with some deisel performance vendor's main stud kit. 14mm... nice studs, but you can't tap out the existing 12mm holes for the 14mm. I even used the smaller sized tap drill and the threads were sloppy as shit. So now we are forced to use inserts and go with 12mm ARPs. I wanted to go inserts and use the 14mm studs, but there isn't alot of material depth wise and width are to go so large. Sacraficing the register area and also taking a chance at drilling into the oil pump cavity in the block.

The guys at the shop are doubtful this engine will hold up as others who have gone before end up cracking the stock head in short order.

I'll tell you, those cranks sure are one mean looking shaft. Fawking heavy beeotches and feels very dense. Nice smooth forging. Usually, factory forgings and especially casting have alot of flash and it shows up alot when I magnaflux them. This on was smooth as could be like a callies.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #22

TD New Guy

moorepowercoati is keeping the peace
My point is that after adding a camshaft, which holds the valves open longer increases the volume of air per revolution more than a ported head will. Many of these engines are gianin 20-30 h.p. in low and mid rage over the stocker. Some of these cams allow guys to run the big turbos and spool faster than the stocker. Several have reported they are building boost in neutral. The reason alot of these cavemen are not running ported heads is that after adding a cam and twins the gains are not much. Ideally doing both would be the way to go, but it would not be near the top of my list. Several of these shops PDR being one of them have spent several hundred of hours on the dynos and poritng and checking airflow to find out what works and what does not. The hx40 is 90's technology and there are many much more efficient turbo's out there. The reason for me dumping my stock turbo is the exhaust outlet is so puy it is very restrictive and the drive pressures skyrocket at over 26 psi. These new turbos spool much faster and with 1150cfm provide enough air at 40-50 psi to make a cool 450-500 hp. I realize that fuel is what makes power, and there are several boxes and downloaders that will add from 180 to 220 h.p. on the common rail engines. My response is more to the idea that diesel guys think they need 70 p.s.i. to make just 500hp , this is just not accurate. The diesel quys are alot more advanced than most on this board think. like I said over 800 h.p. at just 2900 rpm on a big single turbo. Take a look at some of the diesel sites before going off about how neanderthal they are.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #23

TD Extreme User!

I was a subscriber to the TDR magazine, and am active on dodgediesel.com, so I am aware of what many are doing.

You can add turbos and a cam, but you will still have very good gains when porting a head. In fact the harder you push things the more prominent the return the porting will provide.

Keep in mind that boost is nothing more than a measurement of restriction. Just having a big boost number isnt the sole indicator of whats going on.

1150 cfm is about what a HX40 puts out, not sure it will cool 500 h.p. I saw a picture of a pretty fast Cummins on HTT website and the intake pipe in the headlight bucket with no air bell/velocity stack on the pipe. I guess the tech savy diesel guys dont know you can add about a 10% increase in intake flow to the turbo with the air bell. Regardless of the technology I used it as a comparison to show the increase in airflow of porting vs larger turbo.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:18 PM   #24

Garrett Booster

I was just trying to say that if Lonewolf can get 25% more flow out of intake and exhaust using stock valves thats better than PDRs 13% intake and 20% exhaust using stock valves (stage 2). PDRs chart for a Stage 3 head shows 19% intake and 27% exhaust with larger valves and close to $3000.
I am a firm believer that you will increase spoolup and hp with a ported head. I have talked to and read about people gaining 30-40 hp with a PDR stage 3. I also know of one gentleman to have picked up 95 hp doing his own. These are on single turboed 12 valves. I don't think the gains would have been as much with twins.
The reason guys don't go the ported head route is the thinking there is nothing to be gained except lower egts. They want power.
My trucks peak power is at 2600 rpm with a stock long block. I'm looking into cams as well as cylinder heads.
That's my red 1st gen on HTTs website in the winners circle.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:55 PM   #25

TD Extreme User!

I saw a black one with bleching black stacks... and a 4 inch pipe in the headliight bucket.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:22 AM   #26

TD New Guy

My Ride: 98 Ram
Engine: 5.9

Lucky Jeff is keeping the peace
12 valves have already hit over 1,000 rwhp, in a few trucks.. And the sled pulling trucks back east are running almost 150 psi on their 12 valves. Yea it's old school "neanderthal" tech, and we all know it. Most people don't care. But there are a few who do, and trust me they're working on redesigning every little piece they can, nothing short of building a whole new cylinder head.

Oh and BTW, Fletcher ran 9.92 in his Dodge Ram. That he drives to work every once in a while. And that trip isn't just back roads. It's also stretches of I5 There are quite a few 4x4's in the 11's, and getting quicker every year. And we've only scraped the serface. Mainly cause all we have done, is add more fuel, and more air. There's lots more to do. Lenny also ran 870 rwhp with his Large single powered 02 12 valve. I mainly just wanted porting for EGT's. I hate seeing over 1800*, or driving by the EGT gauge while towing. Nothing pisses me off more.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #27
Re: Cummins head porting  
Garrett Booster

It's been 3 years!
Have you ported any more Cummins heads?
If so, what was the feedback?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #28
TD Extreme User!

Havent ported anymore. But I also havent pursued that avenue much. All I have is the flow numbers from the last one I did.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
TD New Guy

My Ride: 01 ram 2500 cummins
Engine: 24v isb
1/4: 12.830

jrmoparin91 is keeping the peace
wow.....if you really think that porting a head doesent make a hp improvment you r nuts.....i PORT MATCHED a head on a 24v and gained 112hp..dyno proven.....and adding a cam will add hp but not alot.....i have accually lost hp on a couple trucks by puting in a cam...one of the trucks out of my shop made 873hp and 1707 ft lbs at 2400rpm....its built to turn 6000 rpm...cams dont always help......but porting ANY head will make a signifigant improment......if done right
Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #30
TD Extreme User!

I agree, efficiency is efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.