4BT swap - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Cummins Turbo Diesel

Cummins Turbo Diesel Repair and performance for the Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesels.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
4BT swap  
Naturally Aspirated

Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

moparzrule has really helped outmoparzrule has really helped out
I'm looking at putting a 4BT cummins into my 77' power wagon. The truck is a simple standard cab 4X4, factory 318 automatic.
The 4BT I was looking at is out of a 90' bread truck. It is complete with all the accessories, but I need to know how to install the the tranny. It has a flywheel on it now, so thats no good to me since I got an auto. I can have someone custom make motor mounts, thats the ''easy'' part. So I was thinking, if I could find an early 6BT from a 89-93 truck thats an automatic, grab the bellhousing, flexplate, and torque converter, will that work? Are they the same? I'm pretty sure those early cummins trucks used TF 727 trannies. Also I was wondering about like input shaft splines, are they the same? I kinda need all this info before I go buying this engine, because that would suck to buy it and then it not work out.
And in case you are wondering why I am choosing a 4BT over a 6BT, it's because of the weight of the 6BT and the amount of torque a 6BT would put out will probably rip my truck in half! LOL
I plan on atleast putting on an HY35 turbo to replace the crappy H1C, and it has the early rotary pump so I can just turn up the fuel to compensate. A 3'' exhaust system will be in order, and that will probably be about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 10:37 PM   #2

Garrett Booster

My Ride: '87 T-bird
Engine: 2.3l Turbo
1/4: 15.300

92dodgeDak is ready to make a name for oneself
I have no knowledge to help you but damn that would be an awesome truck!

Good luck finding the info needed to build it properly.

-Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2004, 12:14 AM   #3

TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 91 Spirit R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII
1/4: 11.686

mopar2ya is keeping our cars runningmopar2ya is keeping our cars running
Somewhere I saw a article on a guy that put a 6bt in a ramcharger, it was one rock crawling monster. If I find it, I'll forward it on, it may have some of the answers you need. You might consider a early modle 6BT as they only had 160/400 stock.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:38 AM   #4

Naturally Aspirated

Thanks in advance. I cannot go 6BT because of the wieght of the engine. A 4BT weighs almost exactly the same as a small block chrysler V8. Plus the mods I plan to do to the 4bt I will have approx. that same 160/400.
They only run like 12 PSI stock, and have a giant 16CM turbine. So I figure the HY35 has a 9CM, plus it's wastegated. I cannot find any stock power ratings for these engines, but I think it's something like 105 HP and 300 ft/lbs. It's a 90' 4BT, non intercooled. So with the boost up to 20 or so and turning the screw on the fuel pump up I should net like 150/400 don't ya think? Later on I'll probably throw an intercooler of a 1G cummins ram.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:54 PM   #5

Hybrid Booster

1985ShlbyChrger is keeping the peace
sounds like a nice truck matt. But what are you gonna do with the 360 that is at the machine shop?!?!?!?!
Old 07-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #6

Naturally Aspirated

Hmm, well they've had it for 4 months now and haven't touched it. I was thinking of waiting until they did the work and tell them to shove it!
Old 07-31-2004, 03:04 PM   #7

dodgeram

from the little bit of digging I did I found out this

non intercooled 4bt: 105 hp, 300 ft/lbs of torque

intercooled 4bt: 120 hp,320 ft/lbs of torque

both motors are identicle and use the same pump, just different adjustments

4bt's make they're troque numbers right off idle on up

the do have the same bell housing as the 12 vlaver from the dodges, most guys use NV4500 5spds with the 241 t-case

apparantly the engine is designed to be mounted rotated 10 degrees counterclockwise

and they vibrate a LOT more than a 6cyl b series motor so mount it up good n solid

hope some of that helps

I suggest you join http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/ there are many VERY knowledgeable guys on that site and they'd be able to help you out a lot more than me ..........

Old 07-31-2004, 03:11 PM   #8

Naturally Aspirated

Sweet!
I knew they vibrated alot, heard that many times. But I don't care, to me thats a ''real'' engine! LMAO
Our 2.2's vibrate like hell too compared to other 4 cylinders.

I wish I had a manual trans, sure would make it easier. And I'm certainly not interested in converting.

I just signed up in the turbo diesel registry forums, it takes a couple days though. I'll post the same thread there in the engine swaps forum.

Can you give me anylinks to this info you got? Specifically the 10 degrees counter clockwise mounting part, never heard that. I wonder if it really matters? I'm sure thats gonna be hard making motor mounts for that.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Re: 4BT swap  
TD New Guy

My Ride: a car

stevetruncale is keeping the peace
op
Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
TD New Guy

My Ride: Daytona

reverendd is keeping the peace
Input shaft won't be a concern as it still goes into your torque converter. You'll need a lower stall speed converter I'd imagine, perhaps not. Post the question over at 4btswaps.com and I'm sure they'll fix you right up. That 4bt is a great little motor and able to put out some pretty big torque numbers (just like its six cyl brother) with a few mods. Should be straight forward though they used the 727 with the first gen cummins trucks so dodge probably has the adapter plate and flex plate for the converter to engine connection. It'd be just mounts and you should be ready to go. Should be a good swap and mileage will be REALLY good.

Regards,

Rev. D.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge Ram

Walt_Felix is keeping the peace
I have an 88 Dakota that I made into a small rock crawler years ago. I've always had the idea in the back of my mind of ditching the gas V6 and putting in a 4BT mounted mid chassis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.