Supercharged With Nitrous! - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Supercharged 2.2 / 2.5s

Supercharged 2.2 / 2.5s Discussion of performance and maintenance specific to supercharging a Dodge 2.2 or 2.5.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Supercharged With Nitrous!  
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1984 Turismo 2.2
Engine: Chrysler 2.2
Induct: S/C
1/4: 0.000

TURISMO2.2L is keeping the peace
I've been doing some reading.. and a lot of head scratching.. but my wife an i got our tax money back and i thought.. what the heck.. if i can convince her i need a part and kinda slip it under the table as if it were a bunch of little parts.. might just work.. i might get the later if she ever see's the bottle but hey.. life goes on and you only live once.. Now trying to find the NOS carb plate.. good luck.. i did track one down but the guy hasnt contacted me back yet. it was on a VW forum.. imagine that. where old DC parts should not even be.. If i could have the carb plate i have on there now drilled out then awesome.. but it might be close. i really dont know anything about nitrous.. other than it will make a car fast go even faster.. i'm wanting to use a wet system. thats what the B&M supercharger book says to use with blowers as it's like adding more fuel and will greatly improve the engines efficiency. now i'm only making about 155hp. maybe a few more but i dont know. i'm still running on the rich side but its my safe zone.. i just havent ordered new jets yet.. I see that FWD Performance has 2 different setups.. NOS(holley) has a carb plate but its sold with 3..
Holley Performance Products Cheater Injector Plate*12983NOS
I dont think holley would just sell me one.. there 1/2" thick too. i'd need to raise the hood scoop or get a taller scoop also if i add any length to my setup.. my filter hits the scoop already. Let me know what you guys think.. or if any of you guys can help with the setup or have any tech help/info i may need.. i'm sure i'd be the first supercharged 2.2 w/nitrous.. be a mean little engine im sure..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Re: Supercharged With Nitrous!  
Tom
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 Turismo

Tom is keeping the peace
I've been kicking this idea around for a while too. Nitrous is illegal for street use here in Canada but wtf right? I drilled out the carb plate for a nozzle when I made up my water injection set up. I had to make sure the drill was nice and straight and there was room for threading after..works great. If I go the nos route I'll probably use one of the threaded holes on the back side of the carb adaptor plate. I've seen some spray tips that combine the nos and fuel into a single threaded nozzle like the ZEX style that might work with this plan. I'll have to give up something that's connected back there to do it that way, wonder if it would be worth tapping a spot under the blower on the intake manifold to accept one of the Zex tips. The spray would mix with the a/f mix as it exits the blower. How big a shot would be enough to blow it up? Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Boostaholic

when i was reading the B&M books i have they say to spray it before the blower. unless its a fogger type where you can have a small nozzle tapped into each port. would be sweet but B&M recomends only using a wet injection with blowers. thats what i was leaning towards. i'm sure as long as you use the nitrous to improve instead of use it to abuse it the engine will be fine. will need to run higher octane fuel aswell. i'd like to see what difference the fuel will make too. i'm on my way to radio shack in few. i'm making my own Knock sensor indicator warning light and buzzer. i'll be using a small 1"T x 3"L x 2"W project box they have and they also have some buzzers. should be able to mount it on the side of the center console with some double sided tape or velcro. im sure i can find somewer else to mount it so its not too noticable.. it'll have a test button and a buzzer cutoff switch so you dont have to listen to the buzzer when your engine is knocking. im gunna use a yellow light for the indicator aswell. should work pretty good. im wondering if i can mount 2 knock sensors aswell. im gunna get this outta the way first then see how it does an go from there. when i figure out the math on the nitrous then i'll let you know. i do have a old spearco water injection kit i was going to put on but i decided not to.. just got a MSD BTM instead. works great. how's your Air/Fuel ratio?? also what blower do you have. old style or new?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Tom
TD New Guy

Tom is keeping the peace
The blower kit was from '89 if I remember what the dealer lable said so I'm guessing new style. The wideband I use shows mid 11's which I've been warned is too lean. Using the original feedback carb with a 220 weber jet in the secondary. The primary uses the largest jet that will still allow the feedback solenoid to just come into action when at cruise. I went the water route when I pulled the head shim and went back to stock compression (didn't like the extra tension on the timing belt). Stock timing too, the water set up drops at least 60F in the intake air fuel mix as measured by a probe that is
sensing the interior of the manifold. Already using premium fuel...this $ummer is going to co$t me. I get ya on the wet vs dry thing, my water injection is sprayed between the carb and the blower inlet so the adaptor plate from the blower kit might be ok as long as there is room for plumbing. Still working on the hood to cover the aftermarket air cleaner which is also a no-no wrt the emission police. Tom
Old 03-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Boostaholic

lol.. too funny tom.. what air filter you running?? the tall K&N like mine.. post some pic's of your engine bay. i wanna see what your setup looks like. i just picked up most of the little parts i needed for the knock sensor light/sound indicator. just need the knock sensor now. should have it put together by the end of the month and installed
Old 03-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Tom
TD New Guy

Tom is keeping the peace
During the test and tune I had an Edlebrock foam filter stuck on top of the carb. I really want the least amount of height for a scoop, mainly because I don't have a monster under the hood and I'd like to shoot for a 'stockish' look when all is done. The lines of the hood and the valley that runs to the nose has made it hard to meet both wants. I'm trying to rework the original filter box to allow ducted air from the front of the car to pass to the space under the scoop. I have a plate I fabbed to seal off the top of the carb from the engine compartment. The total height of the scoop should be no more than 3 inches max. I'll see about uploading some images otherwise I'll pm to you if you like (dialup connection). Been working away at the car for quite a while over many summers, at some point I'd like to drop in a digital dash to replace the ralley cluster but I really want to get the hood done and fresh paint. Tom
Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Boostaholic

well you could always use the small K&N filter. K&N 56-1010 $81.99 - Custom Assemblies, Custom Racing Assembly
It's under 2" tall so it should fit under the L-body hood scoop.. OR, you could go with the side draft weber mounted on the blower. would be cool looking too. i was going to do that but i didnt want to deal with trying to figure out the throttle linkage. it's simple the way i have it now..
BMW 2002 FIAT SIDEDRAFT WEBER DGV DCOE MANIFOLD ADAPTER - eBay (item 170547009147 end time Mar-28-11 19:41:32 PDT)

Heres a pic of my Knock Sensor Indicator. just got it mocked up. working on the circuit board this week. should have it done by next week

got the Mopar Wires on my car now. and the valve cover thats pretty much new on there. just need to get my old one fixed and then find a home for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercharged With Nitrous!-supercharged-sidedraft-rampage.jpg   Supercharged With Nitrous!-img_0662.jpg   Supercharged With Nitrous!-img_0650.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Tom
TD New Guy

Tom is keeping the peace
Pictures of the engine are uploaded. Let me know what you think.
Tom
Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Boostaholic

I like it. but it could be better.. you really need to just kick back and enjoy life.. Take all the emissions off and go for a cruise... i know you would have a smile from ear to ear if you did that and would enjoy the car soo much more.. how's that carb working out for you?? i think you should get some videos up too.. I just wonder out of all the people who are running these who's supercharged engine would be the fastest.. that'd be a good competition.. even if its a only post for everyone to just post ther time slips on or with a video.. i'm gunna go at it again soon.. And as of today.. I decided to get a new cam.. it's the Comp Cam turbo cam.. 260duration.. mopar purple cam that i have is 240-246 duration. thats not a big difference and would probably gain me a few extra hp that i could use.. what cam are you using?? another idea you might consider.. K&N has a custom filter you have made.. they already have the assebly being made for the weber's an holley 2bbl carbs.. see if they will make you one that is smaller but larger diameter so you will have about the same amount of air flow as the taller assebly they make for the carbs like the one im running.. they do make the 1 3/4 tall assembly.. just have it stretched out so you get a little more air flow through it.. would be different... dont think to hard about it.. they do have a snorkle adapter for them too. you just put the cover over the carb. and you could run the tube or hose to the front of the car for some cold air along with a cone filter.. what other plans do you have for it?? what block are you using anyways.. any plans for exhaust or are you just gunna leave it stock do to laws..
Old 03-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Super Pope

Induct: Turbo

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
BTW you should look at 1 fogger nossel in a wet kit, then add it before the blower. Just like V8 guys do. Don't use water injection, for about the same money spray something that works lol. Send a measage to Angelo here, he added I believe a 175 HP shot to his GLH with a log turbo. Ran 11s hehe. But 1 big nossel will rock, if it has turbo pistons and early rods you should be fine to handle it. Just look at a wideband and aim for 12:1.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
Boostaholic

well i have the turbo block chrysler used for dyno testing the blower setup. i put a hole through the second or third piston and dropped in the forged venolia pistons. very nice. i have the head studs and cometic. and much more that you prolly already know about. i'll talk to him about it. im not gunna run water injection though. i have a box of devils own mix thats been sitting for about 7months now. i just kinda walked away from that idea when i seen a MSD BTM.. caught my eye... lol.. and i couldnt figure out where to mount the old spearco water injection bottle.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
TD New Guy

My Ride: 94 lebaron
Engine: 2.5 T1 IC

gpkrouse is keeping the peace
ilikeshelby, i went to reply to your message and it said message could not be received till u made some room in your inbox ;)
Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Super Pope

being that the Mopar blower is the same family as the B&M 144 blower. Have you ever considered using your front section and building an adapter plate to bolt on a 144? My 340 uses a 417 CID blower. The 144 also uses a 4 barrel without an adapter
Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Boostaholic

i did think about that. the price for the bigger blowers is more then i wanna deal with. i think i can get it figured out for a little less. lol... that guy you said makes the roller version of the s60 cam hasnt responded yet. i got the mopar race valve springs and longer race rockers friday. i talked to comp cams and they said they'll do a military discount so monday morning i'll order that. also goin to head to the dealership and order the mopar pt lifters. also get the shims from you aswell. i also got info from taylor on the nitrous setup. he's had some interesting setups. i'm not planning on going anything more then a 50hp shot. i'm gunna see about setting it up to turn on at a certain psi. i'm gunna put the small pulley back on aswell. should be a fun little car.. get the cam done first and go from there.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
Super Pope

your little blower is making tons of heat, so even a little 50 HP shot will no doubt give you a lot more than 50 HP. You can with the bottle setup your fueling. Setup with a hobbs switch to have nitrous go on at 3 PSI. Then you can make your fuel jets bigger to give more fuel for both boost and nitrous. When your not running the bottle, you can add in a fuel jet that is smaller just to add more fuel for just boost. Then you get away from boost power valves in the carb. Then ANY 500 CFM carb works, like the Carter on a 383. It'll take a little tuning to get the right jets for both, but you'll be able to run a $20 carb then if you already have the nitrous setup.

setting up nitrous off boost is nice because your setup just like a throttle control and it'll work off boost. A power valve carb would be cheaper out right. But if you have a nitrous setup there is no reason not to use a cheap carb for the CFM and the nitrous for fuel instead.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.