88 shelby Z, hemi conversion - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > RWD Turbo-Dodge

RWD Turbo-Dodge 2.2 / 2.5 / 3.0 RWD Turbo Conversations.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Re: 88 shelby Z, hemi conversion  
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: SINISTER SHELBY Z
Engine: 2.2L TII A555
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

sinister87ttop is keeping the peace
ABSOLUTELY SICK!!!!!!!!! SICK!!!!!!!! SICK!!!!!!!!! SICK!!!!!!!!! SIGN ME UP!!! WHATS A DOWN PAYMENT FOR START UP? can we do a twinturbo the 6.1L ??? put in a IRS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z TII
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 14.284

Reaper1 is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by exline View Post
drifting yea! i just thought that was the way you were supposed to drive until a few years ago when i heard someone call it drifting. I used to call it late for work. I guess i have been drifting for a long time now!

here is a little of that kind of driving right before i pulled the old 360 last summer.

I have a suspension jig that i use on streetrods to build C4 vette suspension with if you dont mind a couple vette parts.
the biggest problem with getting a daytona to handle other than suspension related stuff is that the motor is so far over the front axle centerline that its got a lot of weight up front and you cant change that with any suspension. you can either move the motor back under the firewall and completely gut the dash and move your front seal back and then it really wouldnt look stock inside anymore. you could also stretch the front end a few inches to help and move the front wheels forward at the same time.
mine still handles pretty well and i dont have the sway bar up front anymore. the one i am building now will have front and rear sway bars.

I had thoughts of doing a independant rear and a non strut front suspension but i moves on to planning another project. from the 1930's ,i have had sitting here for ever and want to get to work on. i want something i can chop up and customize more.
the daytona has been my driver for a while and i never get tired of driving it! its as much fun now as it was 10 years ago. I have even got married since then and she isint scared orf riding in it with me. I let her drive it to carlisle this year for the chrysler show and she didnt want to get out of it,except that i never hooked the air back up and it was really hot. i am surprised there have been as many people interested in building cars like this as there are.
I redesigned a new front suspension crossmember and engine mounts for this 6.1 to fit a front sump oil pan that it came with. the transmission actually bolts to the oil pan on it.
I'd stick with a 4-banger to keep down on the front weight. I know it still overhangs the axle line a bit. but the way the car is FWD I already have a VERY balanced car! The guys from GRM were surprised how well balanced my car is, even the crossweights and I don't even have coilovers on it! I was close to the ideal 50% crossweight and the F/R was around 60/40. I always run with my fullsized spare to help with the balance. Yeah, it makes the car heavier, but it handles better! LOL

I figure if I decide to do RWD conversion that by adding the tranny in the center and the other stuff out back along with a nice cage that if I planned it right, I could keep the weight close to where I am now (3015# with me in it) and still have a fairly balanced car along with adding better suspension geometry and adjustability. Sounds like a win/win to me!

If I do decide to go that route, yeah, keeping it stock looking would be nice, but overall I want it to perform.

As far as 'Vette stuff...as long as it doesn't have that stupid transverse leaf spring and I can run coil-overs instead I'll be ok! LOL I actually have this idea of copying the Viper's stuff and scaling it to my car. I might even go as far as using the Viper chunk. I wouldn't be opposed to widening the car at that point. Funtion is paramount. Looks I can work on! LOL

Of course this is all hypothetical planning as I'm still in school and BROKE!!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
TD New Guy

My Ride: hemi 92 daytona
Engine: 5.7 hemi
Induct: N/A

exline is keeping the peace
my car dosent sit any lower in the front with the hemi than it did with the V6 so its really not much heavier in the front than it was originally. if i used the vette stuff it would probably only be the spindles and dana 44 center section. i would make the control arms. I am sure you could get it to handle really well with a turbo 4 cyl! i originally thought about that also but after thinking a while i decided i wanted a v8 and i had most of the parts allready to do it that way. I do miss the kick when the turbo comes in like my old shelby Z used to. and i really missed the 31 MPG i got with it!
the 360 got about 13 with the 4 speed and 19 with the 6 speed. the hemi is better than that though, havent actually checked it yet.

you save up and just bring me that car. i will build it into what ever you want! LOL
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z TII
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 14.284

Reaper1 is keeping our cars running
I'd model it in a CAD program and do some engineering, then bring that stuff. I'd really love to get my hands dirty learning the craftsmanship needed to do fab work, so how about an apprenticeship of sorts? LOL I was doing some MAJOR daydreaming today while delivering parts. Let's jsut say that if I were able to do what I dreamed up I think it'd be on par with what the IMSA cars were! LOL
Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby
1/4: 13.600

GLHSHELBY is keeping the peace
love you car and the work you`re doing on the current one.Keep the pics flowing if possible. I`d much rather have a hemi daytona over a new hemi challenger .I`d like to keep it as a daily driver though.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #21
TD New Guy

Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1985 ChryslerLeBaron
Engine: 2.2

BarnesBoy85 is keeping the peace
im so surprised those engine could fit.
Love the iroc
cant wait to see the final product.
what about the paintjob???
Old 11-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
Mr. Moderator

My Ride: 89 Shelby Daytona
Engine: 2.4l

turbokid is keeping the peace
Fanstatic work: Subscribed
Old 11-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #24
TD New Guy

I am building this one for a customer and he is going to drive it this way until spring and then tear it down and then i am going to have it media blasted and then do the paint and body work.
He just picked it up this friday to take home. I went for a ride in it with him before he left and it runs very well with the 6.1. I am sure it will be a lot of fun!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #25
Garrett Booster

My Ride: '85 Daytona
Engine: 2.5 Modified TI/TII

damageincracing is keeping the peace
Hey exline! Long time no see! LOL! Just got back on here to look for some parts for the wife's 88. You can make frames without having the car now? Ya gotta hook me up with some pricing! Still got my e-mail? LOL
Old 11-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Dodge Daytona
Engine: 2.2l

A84turboZ is keeping the peace
Amazing
Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #27
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby
1/4: 13.600

GLHSHELBY is keeping the peace
love the work you done to this car. 1 question,if you started this project with a really nice car would it cause a lot of problems to the paint or is it just better to start with something that needs work??
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #28
Boostaholic

My Ride: Many turbo cars
1/4: 12.770

blk86trbo is keeping the peace

This is pretty darn close to the style of hood I intend to make (someday )...is it steel or fiberglass? Would love to see a closeup pic!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
I'd like to ask how rigid is that T-top car with a V8 ?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #30
TD New Guy

the T top car has a full frame now so its pretty strong. I make all of the converted cars into a full frame. here is a shot of most of the parts i make for one.

yes i can build the frame with out the car now .

the hood are both steel. i couldnt fint a nice fiberglass one to use. the blue 92 is raised 1.25" at the rear like a cowl induction. and the 88 with the primer hood is raised in the front to clear a 6.1 hemi throttle body.

if the car was allready painted i would just have to be more careful about the work but it could be done.

i made the original rear disc brakes work on the 8 3/4 rear. i thought some of you might be interested in. i cut the original bracket out to fit on the 8 3/4 housing end and welded it on. then found a new rotor at napa with a 4.5" bolt pattern and a different offset to use. we only used the 4.5" pattern because thats what the wheels were we were using. you could use the small original pattern also .
this picture was taken with the housing end only, i welded up the bracket to the housing end before i finished narrowing the rear so only the end is shown here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.