Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Best swap options

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  6g72 acclaim 
#1 ·
I thought I was buying this van for daily purposes, but I've found my life isn't complete without a project. :bang head
So I've decided to do a motor swap on my mini, seeings I want to keep it reliable, yet have more power. Now the question is, what's my best option?
My thoughts so far:
*3.6 Pentastar, 6-spd.
*6G75 ?????trans.
*4.0L, 6-spd.
*Newer 3.8L, associated trans.
*Chime in with other ideas, I'm still in the brainstorming process right now.

My plans as of right now are to get it painted, get it dropped, then performance work.

#5 ·
Been leaning on this theory more, the more I think about it. Figure I can run a challenger tune, along with intake and exhaust, it should be good for 325hp-ish. But being almost stock, along with being in a much lighter vehicle, it should hold up great.

#6 ·
Alright, decision time.
My rear HG is blown, so I'm in a good spot to either proceed with this or put some work into the 3.0. My issue with putting work into the 3.0 is I know how well the stock 670 handles a modded motor, been there done that. 5-speed swap is not an option for me right now.
How hard will it be to swap in a 3.6L/6-sp combo?
Wiring obviously, but will it bolt up, or will that require a lot of fab work?
Other insight?

#7 ·
The mounting setup in completely different compared to the K platform.
I'll snag some pictures of a Dart im yanking the trans out of now. It has the same mounting setup as the v6's.

If you go with the stock electronics you will need the entire can-bus out of the donor vehicle from tail lights to headlights or you will have drivability issues/ lots of trouble lights. Aftermarket engine management would be a good idea.

#9 ·
Passenger engine mount

Rear engine mount

Trans mount

Passenger mount should be a bolt in basically. Trans mount is gonna need some fab work. and you need to modify the k-frame to accept that rear motor mount.

And tryingbe made a good point. Knightmoves powertrain is almost a direct swap. Some food for thought.

#10 ·
What about the newer 3.8L/trans?
Would that be a more direct swap seeings they ran the 3.0, 3.3, 3.8 in the vans through those years?
My only real issue with modding the 3.0 is the trans that's behind it. My trans seems very solid, shifts great, I'm just very worried about it giving out if I start adding power. Are my worries justified? If it will hold up, I will likely just mod the 3.0 while it's apart, as I have a lot of spare parts.
I had pretty much all the NA mods done to my car, and it chewed through transmissions like crazy, but it's trans never felt as good as this one's either.

#14 ·
Guess I assumed it was the identical driveline my car had. Which is why I'm concerned.

#15 ·
Just caught a line on a wrecked 07 Eclipse GT. Dude's asking $500obo, think I found my swap, just gotta get the wife to bite.

#16 ·
https://madison.craigslist.org/pts/5685508678.html
Going to get her tonight.:dancing: :banana:

I know the motor will be going in my van, hoping the trans will also be usable, otherwise I'm stuck with my 670 :bang head

Are there any other parts that interchange or can be interchanged?
I know the seats will be going in my van as well and the wheels should fit the other van (tires at least).

#18 ·
Thinking factory mitsu comp as I'll have the complete car to use. I know Bailey had issues with the chipped key, was hoping I could use the mitsu ignition switch to get around that issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.