Intake Routing - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Mitsubishi V6 engines Discussion area for the 3.0 turbo and non-turbo

2Likes
  • 1 Post By EvilcowRoland
  • 1 Post By EvilcowRoland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-11-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1994 LeBaron
1/4: 0.000

Intake Routing

I've been wondering how some of you guys route your intakes on your cars.

I need to build one for my LeBaron and I'd like to avoid relocating the battery to the trunk if I can help it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2016, 12:36 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92 Duster
Engine: 3.0
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 11.500

Re: Intake Routing

Under the battery. Moved and trimmed my stock battery tray back in the day
post #3 of 10 Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Boostaholic

I have seen some people buy those smaller batteries and put them in the stock battry location and run their piping next to it. Somone did that here a while back but I think some have even hooked up a lawn mower battery with high cranking amps in the stock location.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5

I ran mine in front of the battery with a small can-style filter and some 3.3 intake hose pieces. It pulled cold air from a hole behind the headlight, but the 90 degree bends are bad for airflow. Not sure it helped performance any by itself. I also went to the 52mm TB at this time. The net gain was a little better throttle response. Didn't really notice much other difference in the car in either performance or economy. It had a wicked sound when you mashed the throttle open though.

6g72 acclaim likes this.

-Brian

90 Daytona Shelby
96 Jeep XJ
post #5 of 10 Old 12-14-2016, 06:26 AM
CoupleOvans

My Ride: 94 Voyager
Induct: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilcowRoland View Post
I ran mine in front of the battery with a small can-style filter and some 3.3 intake hose pieces. It pulled cold air from a hole behind the headlight, but the 90 degree bends are bad for airflow. Not sure it helped performance any by itself. I also went to the 52mm TB at this time. The net gain was a little better throttle response. Didn't really notice much other difference in the car in either performance or economy. It had a wicked sound when you mashed the throttle open though.

I feel like that's not a bad setup if you could hard pipe it. Either way, looks good.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 93 Duster
Engine: 3.0 V6 6G72
Induct: S/C
1/4: 14.620

I did a K&N RU-3030 right off the throttle body, but built a cold air BOX to enclose it. Had a 4" drier hose running from that to forward of the battery with some sheet metal to at least partially block off that area from the rest of the engine compartment.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Pope

the factory setup is a cold air and you can open it up to work better with a K&N. Doing this and putting the filter in the engine bay to suck boiling hot air isn't a great plan unless you live in North Dakota...
post #8 of 10 Old 12-25-2016, 04:39 PM
CoupleOvans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
the factory setup is a cold air and you can open it up to work better with a K&N. Doing this and putting the filter in the engine bay to suck boiling hot air isn't a great plan unless you live in North Dakota...
Shorty on my car, my intake plenum would still be cold to touch after 1hr of sitting in traffic on a 90* day. That was filter sitting right behind the battery. The factory box sits almost on top of the rear exhaust manifold, with 2 almost 90* bends, combined with the 180* from the computer tube to the engine tube., I don't buy that the ambient air running a short ram is warmer than the air out of the factory intake.
My experience with both, especially in traffic, the short ram keeps the plenum cooler, which tells me the short ram pulls colder air than the factory intake.

94 Voyager: 3.0, 52mm tb, ported plenum, mild port heads, 2.5" catless exhaust, 2-toned, front dropped 2".
95 Voyager Sport: 3.3 V6: 58mm TB, spacer, CAI, 2.5" catless exhaust.

Brandon Contildes 5/13/85-1/20-2015
post #9 of 10 Old 01-03-2017, 11:47 AM
CoupleOvans

Just run it like this, then attach it to a snorkel like this (obviously got rid of the cone, that was just until I got a new filter for the housing):
Then you'll never have a problem with cool, fresh air, or going through water
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
Not on the 3.0 cars Pope. It's true that it pulls cold air in through the ECU like the turbos, but the airbox sits directly over the rear exhaust manifold. It gets very hot there and the air slows way down having to do a complete 180 turn to get back out. Moving the actual filter location to the front of the car helps. I agree that you don't want it sucking air in from the engine bay in general, hence why mine was pulling air from behind the headlight like the factory design. Getting rid of that airbox has the added benefit of giving better access to the rear plugs and wires too.
6g72 acclaim likes this.

-Brian

90 Daytona Shelby
96 Jeep XJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page