Distributor to Coil Pack Conversion - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Mitsubishi V6 engines

Mitsubishi V6 engines Discussion area for the 3.0 turbo and non-turbo

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Distributor to Coil Pack Conversion  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1994 V6 Duster
1/4: 0.000

Mac_17 is keeping the peace
What would be needed to do this conversion successfully and also besides being simpler and easier to work with does this give any gains of any kind?
Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
Re: Distributor to Coil Pack Conversion  
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: '89 2.5 Turbo Spirit
Engine: 2.5 Turbo
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 14.920

Tim_K is keeping the peace
I doubt there are any gains, a spark is a spark, just like all the BS ads that try to sell you platinum tipped spark plugs and expensive wires and coils.

Those things make very little gain if any.

As far as "simpler and easier" goes, if a distributor is too complicated for someone, they shouldn't be working on older cars! At least with a distributor you can adjust the base timing easily.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 3.77-5speed V6 DDT
Engine: V6 3.0L
Induct: N/A

MOPAR_TUNING is keeping the peace
word...
Old 05-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 95 Lebaron vert
Engine: 3.0 N/A

GentleCowboy is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_K View Post
I doubt there are any gains, a spark is a spark, just like all the BS ads that try to sell you platinum tipped spark plugs and expensive wires and coils.

As far as "simpler and easier" goes, if a distributor is too complicated for someone, they shouldn't be working on older cars! At least with a distributor you can adjust the base timing easily.
Well since you spoke first I will answer your concern.
I want to remove my distributor out of the way to flip my plenum around
for the holset.
As for older cars I was changing points on distributors before your parents were even born. so keep your smart comments to yourself.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Hybrid Booster

mopar3.0 is keeping the peace
you can do that half easy with megasquirt. with the ford edis 6 set up
Old 05-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Level 3 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker View Post
Yeah, you can get a MegaSquirt and use it for spark only. Makes the assembly much easier too, if you leave off all the fuel injection components (assuming you want to build it yourself). You can take the coil pack off of a 3.3/3.8 Mopar V6 and use that. DIYAutoTune sells 36-1 trigger wheels, grab one of those and attach it to your crank pulley. Use a Neon crank sensor with it. Why the Neon crank sensor rather than a Ford VR sensor? Because the Neon crank sensor is a HEP style sensor. 3 wires, the signal that comes out of it is a clean digital signal, so you don't have to use the VR input circuits on the MS. Using the VR input circuits on the MS sucks, you have to adjust trim pots to get a clean tach signal, etc..
Anyways, you don't need the actual Ford EDIS module (or any Ford parts at all), you don't get spark cut when you use the Ford EDIS module.
Since you're just doing spark, just get an MS1 CPU, it'll do what you need very well with the MS1-Extra firmware on it.
You could do Coil On Plug with the MS too, but you'll either be stuck running the COP's in wasted spark mode, or you'll need to setup a second input and run a cam trigger (this is 3.0 only, 2.2/2.5 already has two inputs, so it can do single coil, wasted spark, or COP).. :) Hope that helps.
Well, UnaC. you just made my day, this is what I was waiting for long but didn't get any answers. I will be using MS on my 3.0 conv. and I will also turbo it.
I just hauled the car to my place this morning and I got an engine for it 30K for $100. Now I am waiting for my income tax return to get the front nose from a friend in Buffalo and start getting it all together. I don't have time for electronics now so I will buy the MSII assembled. There is also a holset lined up for it. I will need your help to set up all this, so will be bugging you a lot.:)
Old 05-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_K View Post

jezzz it was just a question you dick!!! oh and also i already know how to work on cars with distributors
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Level 3 Supporter

See Mac_17, he doesn't know how to use a laptop, it is easier to undo a bolt and turn the distributor one way or another to get close to the proper degrees.
It is a skill to flash and work with electronics isn't it?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
TD New Guy

yea i see what your sayin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.