Oil leaking from exhaust manifold bolts...Confused... - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Mitsubishi V6 engines

Mitsubishi V6 engines Discussion area for the 3.0 turbo and non-turbo

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Oil leaking from exhaust manifold bolts...Confused...  
TD New Guy

My Ride: '93 Dodge Spirit
Engine: 3.0L V6
1/4: 0.000

TheLaw is keeping the peace
Hey guys,

I finally got around to trying to find some possible sources of the leak on my 3.0L.

I was shocked when I saw oil coming from the exhaust manifold gasket's studs/bolts...And trust me, there is leaks in other places, but it's 100% coming from these bolts. There's only 95k miles on this car, which isn't much in the first place, plus its a 20 year old car.

Diagnosis? I hope it's not piston rings. Here's the problem. If it's too much, my dad will probably just tell me to trash the car...which I obviously don't want to do. I probably won't be able to remove the engine though I most likely could since my neighbors have a hoist I could borrow. I'm assuming there's something happening in the top end that isn't quite right, though the engine runs pretty darn strong. I guess the first thing I'll do is a compression test. But after that I'm rather clueless. Am I getting myself into something I shouldn't bother with? I'd like to rebuild or replace some stuff in the top end, but I don't know exactly what I can do without taking out the engine...

Eh. I don't think I'm too happy.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Re: Oil leaking from exhaust manifold bolts...Confused...  

My Ride: 87 daytona T top
Engine: 3.5 twin turbo V6
Induct: Turbo

knightmoves is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
Hey guys,

I finally got around to trying to find some possible sources of the leak on my 3.0L.

I was shocked when I saw oil coming from the exhaust manifold gasket's studs/bolts...And trust me, there is leaks in other places, but it's 100% coming from these bolts. There's only 95k miles on this car, which isn't much in the first place, plus its a 20 year old car.

Diagnosis? I hope it's not piston rings. Here's the problem. If it's too much, my dad will probably just tell me to trash the car...which I obviously don't want to do. I probably won't be able to remove the engine though I most likely could since my neighbors have a hoist I could borrow. I'm assuming there's something happening in the top end that isn't quite right, though the engine runs pretty darn strong. I guess the first thing I'll do is a compression test. But after that I'm rather clueless. Am I getting myself into something I shouldn't bother with? I'd like to rebuild or replace some stuff in the top end, but I don't know exactly what I can do without taking out the engine...

Eh. I don't think I'm too happy.

Thanks.
i can't help but wonder if it is running down from the valve covers. the reason is the bolts are what i call dry bolts. meaning they don't enter and oil or cooling areas.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmoves91 View Post
i can't help but wonder if it is running down from the valve covers. the reason is the bolts are what i call dry bolts. meaning they don't enter and oil or cooling areas.
Well I mean it's mysteriously on EVERY bolt and the manifold is bone dry. Why I suggest something is wrong internally is because maybe some seal went bad or the rings and now oil is going where it isn't supposed to be.

But the engine runs too well in my opinion for such results. I mean the bolts are like DRIPPING with oil and I just degreased this SOAB a week ago. I'll have to give it another look.

Is there anyway oil could get in there if something went bad inside?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

My Ride: 87 daytona T top
Engine: 3.5 twin turbo V6

knightmoves is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
Well I mean it's mysteriously on EVERY bolt and the manifold is bone dry. Why I suggest something is wrong internally is because maybe some seal went bad or the rings and now oil is going where it isn't supposed to be.

But the engine runs too well in my opinion for such results. I mean the bolts are like DRIPPING with oil and I just degreased this SOAB a week ago. I'll have to give it another look.

Is there anyway oil could get in there if something went bad inside?
no. but 3.0's are bad at valve cover leaks! often they get over tightened and it warps the sealing surface. so leaking VC are a norm!! the best way to fix it is to install new gaskets and use plenty of gasket sealer!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmoves91 View Post
no. but 3.0's are bad at valve cover leaks! often they get over tightened and it warps the sealing surface. so leaking VC are a norm!! the best way to fix it is to install new gaskets and use plenty of gasket sealer!!!
Well I think my VC Is leaking but why the heck would it only accumulate on those bolts.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 87' Plymouth Voyager
Engine: 3.0l v6
Induct: S/C

lightbulb010 is keeping the peace
That sounds like the valve stem seals are bad allowing oil to drip down onto the exhaust valve. These can be changed without pulling the heads granted the correct valve spring compresser is available. You will also need a fitting to connect the cylinder to compressed air. This keeps the valves from falling down into the cylinder when you compress the springs.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Boostaholic

My Ride: Building 93 Duster

bondbbs is keeping the peace
Providing the exhaust manifold gaskets are still sealed and the bolts/studs are still torqued properly, I cannot imagine valve seals causing the problem. Oil internaly ending up externally?

The reason the oil may seem to sit on the studs longer than the manifold could be heat.. yes, the studs get hot too, but they will disipate the heat a bit quicker than that of the manifold. The manifold could be burning / drying the oil marks from residual heat.

Just thoughts really.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
That sounds like the valve stem seals are bad allowing oil to drip down onto the exhaust valve. These can be changed without pulling the engine granted the correct valve spring compresser is available. You will also need a fitting to connect the cylinder to compressed air. This keeps the valves from falling down into the cylinder when you compress the springs.
Thank you very much. I might try to do a compression test for giggles. See what turns up. Then I'll see what I can do on the heads. If that doesn't work, I'll dig a little deeper and see what's up with the pistons.

I'd hate to have to stop using or get rid of a car because something very small is preventing it from doing the task. Maybe that was bad wording, but I don't want something so small to be the reason to get rid of the car, because my dad keeps on telling me not to dump money into it, but if a little stem seal is all that is causing the problem, why loose an entire car?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 87' Plymouth Voyager
Engine: 3.0l v6
Induct: S/C

lightbulb010 is keeping the peace
I only say this because when my engine was burning oil, a lot got in the exhaust and it would accumulate on the tips of the bolts. Maybe my exhaust bolts were loose? Anyway, if it doesn't burn a lot of oil this probably isnt the problem.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
I only say this because when my engine was burning oil, a lot got in the exhaust and it would accumulate on the tips of the bolts. Maybe my exhaust bolts were loose? Anyway, if it doesn't burn a lot of oil this probably isnt the problem.
I guess I'll have to do further analyzing so I can formulate a better idea here. i don't feel like taking apart the whole damn engine...but maybe I'll have to. Then I'll probably mess something up putting it back together and my car will blow up. Just a theory.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Boostaholic

My Ride: Building 93 Duster

bondbbs is keeping the peace
If you take your time, consult a FSM or Hanes manual, it's not difficult. Time consuming the first few times to make sure you do it right, but head pulling isn't rocket science. Changing the valve seals can be a pain though. For the price, it may be more economical to pull the heads yourself, and send them to a head guy to resurface, clean, and do the seals/guides for you. Saves you from the personal headache as well.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
TryHard Status

My Ride: 1986 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2 TII

turismolover22 is keeping our cars running
Could also go the route of a $150 junkyard motor, keep the other engine to build, or scrap and get some money back
Old 09-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Megasquirt User

My Ride: 93 plymouth duster
Engine: 6g72 181 3.0

Sundance 6g72 is keeping the peace
lol dont scrap a perfectly fine 3.0 :(

valve cover gasket change, piece of cake

Exhaust manifold change, piece of cake

Lower intake gasket change, more time consuming but still easy

pulling the head means timing the car right? first time i did that i was worried i would not be able to do it but KMP's instructions are flawless. mine as well do water pump and timing belt while the head is off if you go that route.

i dont know how much money you have, but its so worth it to get the heads rebuilt.. even if they dont get ported, just rebuild with the good valve guides. My heads guides like to leak oil into the exhaust at the worst times.. winter is coming so it will be less noticeable along with my thicker oil but i already have a pair of heads waiting to be rebuilt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.