My v6 Drag Week build - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo specific > Mitsubishi V6 engines

Mitsubishi V6 engines Discussion area for the 3.0 turbo and non-turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
My v6 Drag Week build  
Authorized TD Vendor

My Ride: Spirit R/T
Engine: 3L V6
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

c2xejk is keeping the peace
This is my build thread for my Hot Rod Drag Week event. My 2011 run was disappointing, so I am starting my build now.

At Drag Week I ran a best of 15.1 @ 90.x MPH 2.1x sec 60'. No traction off the line. My best launches came by launching at 1100 RPM and modulating the throttle. I could not do my usual, rev to 3K and let the clutch out quickly as I mash the throttle. That resulted in me sitting there with the wheels spinning... Keep in mind the tracks were VERY sticky. The engine has a lot more to offer even in it's current configuration... . On the street on dry pavement, in first gear from a roll (5-10 MPH) I could mash the throttle and the 205 60 tires would let out a mighty squeal/mini-burnout.

Goals:
Overall:
  • low-13 sec pass.

Body:
  • reduce race weight by 200 lbs. The weight of the car and driver @ DW2011 was 2875 lbs. So 2675 lbs.

Suspension & tires:
  • 1.7xx sec or better 60' times.
  • qualify for Modified NA class.

Engine:
  • gain 50hp. Dynoed at 175 whp, so ~225whp.
  • Understand and fix issues noted during DW2011.
    1. large %timing err
    2. erratic A/F

Not sure I will get it all done by DW 2012, but going to give it a try.

Final note for those considering going to Drag Week 2012+, DO IT!!! It is a blast even when things are not working right!
'87 Dodge Shadow turbocharged 3.5L 24-valve 6g74 .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Re: My v6 Drag Week build  
Megasquirt User

My Ride: 93 plymouth duster
Engine: 6g72 181 3.0

Sundance 6g72 is keeping the peace
wooo!!

so IIRC, your going with a bigger cam profile, shorter runners for the intake, and full headers (with bigger ID on the pipes than before) ?

what about an e cutout? you could run with your current exhaust but do all your WOT tuning with a cutout after the downpipe? afterall, your trying to rev this thing pretty damn high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 94 Shadow ES 3.0
1/4: 14.620

MC#4 is keeping the peace
When and where is drag week 2012? Where you running street tires last year?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Megasquirt User

yea we had 205 60 r15s all week last year. the dates for this year have not been announced to my knowledge.. i was talking with a guy abut it earlier and he didnt know.

it was alot of fun despite being much slower than we should have been. the car had mid 14s in it with slicks easily but we got rained out during the last day (had barrowed slicks from forcefedmopar on TM)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1987 Daytona ShelbyZ
Engine: 2.2 T2

overboostperformance is keeping the peace
did your car have a hood scoop on it ? if so it is in the new HOT ROD in a shot of the staging lanes. just got my copy last night and first car i picked out of the line up hahahahaha

Norm
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Megasquirt User

Old 01-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1987 Daytona ShelbyZ
Engine: 2.2 T2

overboostperformance is keeping the peace
can't tell in your pic is the hood white ? was your car number 80a at dragweek if so it is on page 34 of jan 2012 issue

Norm
Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Megasquirt User

yes that would be the car. it was the only shadow around.. the only other fwd dodge was the omni

80j at first. Ed had to change classes part way through the week.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Authorized TD Vendor

Yup, black Shadow with a white hood w/black hood scoop.

Started as 80J(Daily Driver), then moved to 80E (Modified Normally-Aspirated) before being shifted to 80A (Unlimited.) I didn't have a suspension mod to keep me from running in the street class.

If I had been able to stay in, I would have finished 2nd (out of 7 or 8) because of attrition. Only 7 entries last year I think. Only one made it the whole way. Tough class. So I am going to try and get in on a "technicality"... (I wouldn't be the first guy to do that...)

For 2012 it looks like they are going to break the groups (NA and Power-Adder) to small and big block. So I will be going for Modified NA small-block. I don't think they have published the official rules yet and I have not seen the official dates and tracks listed.

I think they are going to try and keep it in the mid-west area (ie. Kansas and surrounding areas.)

Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Authorized TD Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
wooo!!

so IIRC, your going with a bigger cam profile, shorter runners for the intake, and full headers (with bigger ID on the pipes than before) ?
Bigger cam with the banks having the same profile. I think the AF issue is that the two banks are running different profiles (with different VE curves). The compression test results seem to bear that out...

I am considering bigger valves too...

Quote:
what about an e cutout? you could run with your current exhaust but do all your WOT tuning with a cutout after the downpipe? afterall, your trying to rev this thing pretty damn high.
If I can get some gains by running without a muffler, I will do that at the track... Wonder if I could get automated cutout that is durable. I think certain Corvettes used them.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Megasquirt User

i know the vettes have vacume operated mufflers or something like that

93 2.4l DOHC Shadow - Page 19

somewere in that thread he talks about his cutout and he uses door lock switches to open and close it quickly
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 89 Spirit ES 3.0
Engine: NA 3.0
Induct: N/A

87turbodance is keeping the peace
If you have it in the budget, Picking up a MS3 daughter board might help with some tuning issues. MS3 has significantly more powerful hardware compared to MS2. MS3 would also allow for real COP ignition. I still feel a 36-1 ignition setup on the crank utilizing studs mounted in the crank pulley is a great method to use. A OBD2 dizzy has a perfect sensor to use as a cam sensor to run sequential COP ignition. The cap could be removed from the dizzy and some sort of short cover made up.

Anyway, just some thoughts I was having.

What kind of compression are you going to shoot for? I'd imagine you'd need 10.5:1 or more with big cams to make the power you want.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Authorized TD Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbodance View Post
If you have it in the budget, Picking up a MS3 daughter board might help with some tuning issues. MS3 has significantly more powerful hardware compared to MS2. MS3 would also allow for real COP ignition.
Can you run a MS3 daughter board in an MS2 controller? Or are you talking about a full MS3 controller.

Quote:
I still feel a 36-1 ignition setup on the crank utilizing studs mounted in the crank pulley is a great method to use. A OBD2 dizzy has a perfect sensor to use as a cam sensor to run sequential COP ignition. The cap could be removed from the dizzy and some sort of short cover made up.
Right now I am working on putting an 36-1 wheel on the car to use it for crank position while still using the distributor (but not the optical sensor). I think the more aggressive cam and heavier valve springs are causing my high %timing err numbers. The 36-1 wheel should prove/disprove that.

Later I am looking at going to a wasted spark setup. I haven't thought much about going to a COP ignition. What are the advantages....

Quote:
Anyway, just some thoughts I was having.

What kind of compression are you going to shoot for? I'd imagine you'd need 10.5:1 or more with big cams to make the power you want.
This will depend on how much I can budget. 10:1 pistons are cheap enough to be a go. However, I am also considering plus sized valves which may increase combustion chamber volume. (+1 maybe, +2 or +3 definitely will) So the '10:1' pistons just to get me back above stock compression.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Authorized TD Vendor

Thinking of the 36-1 wheel, how do you configure tuner studio for it?

Simple. Install the wheel so that the first tooth counter clockwise from the missing tooth is 80-100 degrees BTDC. Then in TS, tell it that you're using a missing tooth wheel and set the tooth #1 angle to the angle in the prior sentence. Leave the trigger angle at 0 when doing this.

Last edited by 87turbodance; 01-14-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 89 Spirit ES 3.0
Engine: NA 3.0
Induct: N/A

87turbodance is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
Can you run a MS3 daughter board in an MS2 controller? Or are you talking about a full MS3 controller..
Yes. It plugs in the same as the MS2 card but requires a taller case which comes with the DIY MS3 daughter board kit. All wiring will be identical so the only change would be the installation of the MS3 card and putting it all in the taller case. Then you will have the option of now or in the future using the MS3x card (which also fits in the taller case) to give you access to sequential fuel and spark and a giant list of other features (read the docs at MegaSquirt Engine Management Systems)

Quote:
Right now I am working on putting an 36-1 wheel on the car to use it for crank position while still using the distributor (but not the optical sensor). I think the more aggressive cam and heavier valve springs are causing my high %timing err numbers. The 36-1 wheel should prove/disprove that..
You might be right. Will certainly get rid of any error caused by timing belt stretch.

Quote:
Later I am looking at going to a wasted spark setup. I haven't thought much about going to a COP ignition. What are the advantages.....
For COP compared to wasted spark you get more voltage available at the single plug as opposed to splitting it between two cylinders. This might only be needed if pushing extreme revs. This also allows you to get of the long ignition wires needed for wasted spark or distributor ignition.

Quote:
This will depend on how much I can budget. 10:1 pistons are cheap enough to be a go. However, I am also considering plus sized valves which may increase combustion chamber volume. (+1 maybe, +2 or +3 definitely will) So the '10:1' pistons just to get me back above stock compression.
I'd like to see like 11.5:1 compression to achieve 220 WHP. This is all theory though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.