Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What to do?

2K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  6g72 acclaim 
#1 ·
So after issues with my torque converter lock up solenoid, my torque converter is now fried.

I have about 5 options in mind right now.

1. Get another tc and hope it didn't hurt the trans.

2. 5-speed swap.

3. 24v swap with 5-speed.

4. Build another 670 and try again.
or my buddies idea......
5. Convert it to rwd and drop his 426 hemi 4-speed combo in. (He has the hemi and trans and a ford 9" he will donate)

I'm in the thinking stage right now, but I don't know how much longer it'll drive like it is.

#3 ·
Free is always nice, and it would be wicked. lol. Plus I work in a metal/welding shop so access to steel for fabbing stuff is no problem.

Too bad the Mivec 6-speed combo wouldn't work.........

#4 ·
If I end up swapping everything I'll probably put the acclaim's motor in the spirit seeings I know it's solid.

As a note on how my TC ended up fried, my solenoid wasn't working right so it was locking and unlocking while driving. Now my trans fluid smells fried and it slips like crazy taking off and when it shifts into second. So I'm assuming the TC is shot unless something else fried because of it?????

#8 ·
I know it would and it wouldn't cost much money, just fab time.

Will the mivec combo swap other then the wiring nightmare???

#10 ·
other members have married other wiring harnesses together in about a weekend. the trick is getting both harnesses and the matching wiring schematics so you have all the info on what goes where and start cutting and soldering!

#9 ·
I have experience grafting harnesses so the mounting would really be my issue.

#12 ·
I know but at the same time it'll kill the joy of smoking v8s with a v6 sedan. Lol.

I'm weighing everything. I found one guy with a wrecked eclipse who'll sell me the drivetrain for $1500. Same time I found a complete lebaron vert for $350. The Hemi will require a ton of fab, but is almost free.

I should note that I can only have it down for a weekend seeings it's a dd. Not sure I could pull off the Hemi in a weekend.

#18 ·
Decided on just getting my trans redone again.

How's FWD's street TC? anyone know?

Can't seem to find a 5 speed anywhere around here, so I'll just do it all over again. Yay

#20 ·
Ya unfortunately. The wife won't let me get another parts car so its in getting done again.

#22 ·
I'm not looking forward to the bill on it. I coulda got a whole parts car way cheaper, but she insisted on leavin the auto cause we don't need another car sittin around.

#23 ·
Trans was redone. TC was fried along with the low/reverse bands. So I now have a 2500 stall, a modded valve body, and upgraded clutches.
Unfortunately, this guys gotta have something wrong.

I have no reverse when its cold, If I stand on it to pull out somewhere I can feel the stall grab, then nothing happens for a couple seconds, then it finally takes off.

#25 ·
hmm thats what mine does when it gets low on trans fluid, when the car sits for a month or to, or if its really cold. it will pop out of gear, sometimes its when im in first and sometimes its when im in reverse. it will occasionally do it when it shifts from first to second but thats if its cold, my fluid is low , and i hop in the car and take off right away. but like i said all this is only when the car is low on trans fluid.

but i agree that it should be taken back.

#26 ·
Low fluid was my first thought, but it was perfectly full.
I talked with another trans shop by me, the owner thinks the other guy has the valve body messed up. Unfortunately the guy doesn't warranty built trannies so I'm S.O.L. on him fixing it.
Probably going to end up taking it to the other shop as they will build it and put a 2yr/24k mi warranty with it.

#27 ·
he should warranty it for the first week or two! its not like your puuting 500hp through it. what kinda tranny shop is he! or get the other guy to fix it and send him the bill. this is why im so fed up with our cars and auto trannies. as for the wife and no more projects. sounds like its time for a new wife :)

#28 ·
I got it working for now, hopefully take it to the other guy when we get our taxes back.

#29 ·
the later Neon lock up converter uses a needle bearing HD stator setup vs the old bushing type in the early converter. Also the PT converter with higher stall works, and it will feel like hitting 4th gear when it engages as the stall speed allows more slip for launching.

#30 ·
My stall convertor is excellent. Im just having issues with reverse engaging now that its cold.

I managed to get it working by boosting the line pressure a bit and turning down the low/reverse. I think it'll get me through til we get our taxes back. I'd still prefer to get the stick and be done with the auto all together but I don't see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.