Turbo Dodge Forums banner

2.7 tiburon motor.

19K views 63 replies 19 participants last post by  Reaper1 
#1 ·
The tiburon 2.7 v6 is also a 6g7x derived motor. I tossed around the idea of putting it's close ratio 6sp trans on the shadow for an autocross setup, but don't have the spare time or $$$

#38 ·
The 6 speed Nissan transmission is slightly better then the older 5 speed nissan transmissions. They still have gear separation problems in 3rd and that eats the stock gearset.

a543 is pretty good but I still don't know where to find new parts.

#39 ·
We Tiburon owners have been trying to find ways to bump up the power output on the 2.7 for a long time. The best way has been with a bolt-on supercharger kit. You can safely run a ~290whp Stage 2 kit on a stock engine. I'm actually running a Stage 4 kit, pushing closer to 350+whp, hence my trying to find a better transmission setup that I can drop a LSD in.

Bolt-on kits are easier than engine swaps unless it's a direct drop-in. Unfortunately I'm kind of at the end of the line for bolt-ons.... If only they made an LSD for the Tiburon's 5-speed, but it seems they only make one for the 6-speed, which is arguably a worse transmission.

#40 ·
Interesting. The existence of a bolt-on supercharger has changed my mode of thinking a bit. in fact, for my setup, i think a supercharger would work better. My next question is in regard to how I would utilize engine management. I was going to adapt a "Chrysler" distributor to the Sohc engine since the cam still has a slot for one on the 3.8 MIVEC engine and since the engine computer is fairly well tied into other parts of the car, it discourages me from using a Megasquirt or other such management. so, if the tibby 2.7 still has the ability for a distributor to be adapted to it, that would be great. These engines don't seem to have problems, should be lightweight, and were really inexpensive the last time I checked.

#41 ·
Yeah you can get a good used engine for 350-500 bucks, probably less if you're gonna rebuild it and don't care about mileage. I'm not sure about the ability to use a distributor. Factory it runs a set of waste spark coil packs with a cam position sensor.

And I should have mentioned maybe that the bolt-on supercharger kits for these cars are not as easy to get your hands on like picking up a kit from Summit. They were only ever built by two companies, Alpine and Next Generation Motorsports. Both companies have gone out of business from what I can tell, but NGM's product line was picked up by a company called Fiebruz Motorsports. The kits are listed on their website, but I don't know personally of anybody who has successfully ordered and received one from them yet. Most of the kits out there are used kits circulating between owners.

Here's a pic of my old car, none of the new one yet (I've had two different Tibs, lol).

#42 ·
To do things the way I think I want them done, it'll require a Chrysler engine computer, and that will obviously need to be re-programmed.

For ignition and injector pickup, that will remain a puzzle. One method is to use the waste spark setup, and that would utilize a PCM from a Chrysler 3.3L/3.8L V-6. The transmission we use does have a boss in it for a crankshaft position sensor, but since Chrysler never had a 3.3 or 3.8 mated to a manual transmission, there are no suitable manual transmission flywheels to use. The only option in that case would be to modify a 4 cylinder flywheel so that it has the pickups necessary for the 6 cylinder engine computer to understand. The bolt patters from Chrysler's 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders, and mitsubishi's 6G7x engines are the same as far as I know. The engines are internally balanced, so that shouldn't be an issue. Then, I'd have to come up with a camshaft pickup system as well.

Needless to say, I am definitely not one of those people who wouldn't know what to do with their lives if they didn't have to go to a job every day.

#43 ·
hi, im new here and ive been looking for info on the a543 transmission for the chrysler 6g72 that was in the caravans, daytonas, duster, etc. now ive been having trouble in my area of finding said transmission, so when i saw that the manual transmission from a 2.7 tiburon might fit on my engine i am curious, as i can find those very easily. has there been any progress made in this area? will the 5 or 6 speed from a 2.7 tiburon fit on my 6g72? i hate my auto, it works, but a manual tranny is soo much better.

#44 ·
Unfortunately the theory of the tibby 2.7 transmission is still just that, theory and conjecture. AFAIK no one has actually tried to put the trans and a 6G72 together, not to mention the differences in clutch systems (cable push-type vs. Hydraulic pull type) and mounting/axle issues still to be discovered and worked out. Your best bet is to post in the "Wanted" section both here and on the "other" site (turbo-mopar dot com).

#45 ·
There is someone on the newtiburon forum who claims to have purchased a 6g72 motor in order to swap into his tiburon. He claims that the main problem was the axles. He provides no pictures or any other evidence though so take it for what it is. Maybe you could pm him over on that forum? goes by JP_Playboy

What about the flywheel from a 2.5l avenger? I think that trans actually bolts to a 3.3/3.8 can't remember where I read that...

I wonder, does that tiburon upper intake bolt to a mitsu lower or the lower from a sonata? That could be interesting

#46 ·
well thanks for your help, i actually did manage to find 1 a543 transmission, but it is on the other side of canada in british columbia, while im in new brunswick. the transmission is only $150, but to get it shipped to me is gonna be another $500. there was a 92 daytona iroc with the 3.0l and a543 for sale, but if i had the $2400 i would just buy that and not worry about a swap into my caravan. but i like the van for its functionality.

#47 ·
Do they include a can of vascelene for that $500 shipping charge? The transmissions aren't THAT heavy.

I think that all of Chrysler's four and six cylinder engines, aside from the Jeep stuff, and 3.9L V-6, use the same crankshaft bolt pattern, which Mitsubishi also used on the 6G7x engines. The 6G72, for sure, has the same pattern as I was running a 12 valve 6G72 crank in my 24 valve DOHC 6G72 and the flywheels interchanged perfectly with the 4 cylinder engines. I do not know if the 3.7L V-6 uses the same bolt pattern, but the 3.3, 3.8, 3.5, 4.0 (V-6) 2.7L, 2.2/2.5, all use the same bolt pattern.

#52 ·
no, no vascelene. i did find yet another somewhat closer, the tranny is $195 with a $185 shipping charge. is out of a 93 dodge shadow ES, so i think its the tranny with the 3.77 gear ratio.

on an other note, so a flywheel from your mentioned engines will work with the 6g72 that is in my 95 caravan

#48 ·
@Phantomrt What i'm saying is that your idea to use the 3.3/3.8 electronics will indeed work if the 6g7x motors have the same bolt circle on the crank because the 96-9? dodge avenger(or eclipse, it's the same car) had a 2.5l v6 with a five speed and a crank sensor in the bellhousing.

That 2.5l was a 6g73. So you would just need that flywheel and a custom cal from shel-game or to make your own.

Edit: actually I think I might be wrong about this, the 2.0l avenger was the only one with a five speed.

#49 ·
Yes--if there was a V-6/5spd avenger, things would be significantly simpler but they were never made that way--not that I am aware.

The next best chance may be a custom T-III flywheel. But I think the better way to go is to adapt a 12 valve distributor into the newer engine. It would take some doing, but would be theoretically possible.

#50 ·
This is what I was thinking of it's the t850 but not a neon one. I'm not sure what car it comes out of though...

Edit: According to a neon forum this trans came in a 2.7l Stratus rt. Apparently the 2.7l(the sludge motor Knightmoves91 refers to above) shares the same bellhousing pattern with the 3.3/3.8.

Attachments

#56 ·
Yes, the 3.3, 3.8, 3.2, 3.5 and 2.7 have the same bell housing bolt patterns. There may be some differences with the inspection shield that bolts from the oil pans to the trans bell housing but the trans should bolt to the engine.

Also, the 3.5 had one bolt hole moved between the cast iron 1993-1997 engine and the aluminum 3.5 from 1998+. This prevents a 2nd generation LH 3.5 from being mated to a 1st Generation LH 3.5 transmission. I am unsure of how this correlates with the 3.3 and 3.8 engines over the years. But in the case of the LH transmissions, a hole can be drilled in the 1st gen bell housing to bolt to a 2nd gen engine. But for the most part, they are the same and more than likely can be made to work with a bit of ingenuity. Something like that. I learned this from someone who stuffed the aluminum 3.5 into a 1st generation Intrepid.

#59 ·
People are DUMB. They don't think anything of a $300/mo car payment plus the extra insurance costs and license tabs and feel more secure "knowing" that they won't have a "surprise" $1,000 car repair bill sometime over the course of a year.

Then in regards to me driving around in beaters, they say, "Well, you are able to work on them..."

Yea.... and I was obviously born that way. Also,I am supposed to have financial sorrow for those who refuse to stay up until 4:00 am changing out a transmission so they can be at work in the next four hours. Do you think that maybe I would rather be sleeping?

If someone drinks, smokes, has tattoos, has newer cars than I, has cable TV, ringback tones, and works less than I, I will never feel bad about their finances unless they have disabilities that are not optional.

#62 ·
What I'd like to know is if anybody has tried the Tibby tranny and even if it's worth looking at. Of course I didn't look for either answer before I posted this! LOL

I do know that there was a Tibby running around the Daytona Beach area claiming 400hp (I think...maybe it was 600...I know he at least "advertised" it on his license plate).

#63 ·
Transmission is not robust. Its meant for 4 cylinder n/a torque. Gear separation/stripping problems. Same issue that nissan FWD transmissions have. Not sure if any rebuild parts ever existed. There are big differences between the 5 speed and 6 speeds and both are not that good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.