Is there an easy way to remove a tire from the rim? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > PT Cruiser Forum > PT Discussions Forum > PT Cruiser Care & Feeding

PT Cruiser Care & Feeding Questions and answers about how to do the things to keep our PT's running their best and looking great.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Is there an easy way to remove a tire from the rim?  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

My Ride: 2001 PT Cruiser / LE
Engine: Stock
1/4: 19.836

Chuckles is ready to make a name for oneself
I need to have the tires replaced on two rims. I have the new tires and the rims now have the old tires on them. Whenever I go to the tire store, I get into the same discussion. The store wants to charge me to dispose of the old tires (like $15 each). Meanwhile, my township will allow me to put up to 4 tires per year into their recycling center, for free. The tire store won't let me walk away with the old tires, for fear that I will dump them someplace illegally.

Is there an easy way to remove the old tires from the rim? I can sacrifice an old circular saw blade, or I can use a Sawzall. I'm wondering if I get thru the tire, will I be able to cut all of it, including the bead part that runs right against the rim?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Cool Re: Is there an easy way to remove a tire from the rim?  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

1/4: 0.000

DARKPT is ready to make a name for oneself
You might ask one of the "used tire" places to just break them off of the rim for you. They might charge you a few bucks, but it wouldn't be $15 per tire. Heck, they might even take the tires if they have a few miles left on them.

As for DIY, your goal is to get one part of the bead to drop into the valley in the center of the rim while you lever the opposite part of that bead over the lip of the rim. Clamp the tire from side to side to push the inside bead off of the rim and toward the outside bead. Then find a pry and a small piece of wood (the wood will protect your rim from your prybar). Pry the opposite side of the inside bead over the rim. Make sure the bead drops into the valley of the tire as you pry.

If you have really low profile tires, this is an especially difficult (sometimes impossible) task.

A quick and dirty check found an article on dismounting a motorcycle tire. Same basic principles: Best Way - DIY: Motorcycle Tire Mounting | eHow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Re: Is there an easy way to remove a tire from the rim?  
TryHard Status

My Ride: 1986 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2 TII
Induct: Turbo

turismolover22 is keeping our cars running
If you can break them loose, on both sides, a small cutoff grinder wheel wors great. Hardest part here is youre dealing with Aluminum (correct?) rims, which are real easy to mar up....

Just be real careful. Bolt cutters work for the bead if you work at them. For the rest of the rubber, cut it with a sawzall or small cutoff wheel.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Meow!!

My Ride: 87shelby charger
Engine: 2.2L TII

Turbomini is keeping the peace
oh for dear sake just use 2 bbigger flat tips screw drivers and manual work. lol braking beads is the hardest point. of the job. just use a nother car and a bumper jack or a fence post driver and a bar to brak beads lol. i'll post pics of the tires i did the other day when i'm on the computer i'm on my phone now. kinda hard to do.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
a stanley utility knife and a pack of blades will cut around the sidewalls of many tires - easily, and you wont inhale the stink and smoke caused by a power tool .

hold knife in 1 hand and push down with the other - last time I cleaned out my tire pile I did about 14 tires with 2 or 3 blades

just remember to cut the tire at the point furtherst from you and move or turn tire to repeat - never pull the knife towards your thigh --trust me on that!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Meow!!

My Ride: 87shelby charger
Engine: 2.2L TII

Turbomini is keeping the peace
here are the pics lol its not to hard to mount and unmount tires,
Attached Thumbnails
Is there an easy way to remove a tire from the rim?-mounting-tire.jpg   Is there an easy way to remove a tire from the rim?-mounting-tire2.jpg   Is there an easy way to remove a tire from the rim?-mounting-tire3.jpg   Is there an easy way to remove a tire from the rim?-mounting-tire4.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.