EGR and vacuum lines, where do they go? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > PT Cruiser Forum > PT Discussions Forum > PT Cruiser Forum - Tech Boards > Tech Questions and Answers

Tech Questions and Answers Here\'s where you can ask your general mechanical/technical questions and the community will do their best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
EGR and vacuum lines, where do they go?  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

1/4: 0.000

bobgagt is keeping the peace
Hello,

I have a 01 pt cruiser 2.4 / auto
vin 3CAFY4BB71T253908
mileage 49,800

That said, I recently removed my hahn stage II turbo kit from the pt as we are going to be trading it in. When I removed the kit, I had a couple extra vacuum lines (one from blow off valve, another from boost gauge, another from FMU). Well everything works right (hvac, cruise, etc) except the EGR. As soon as I hit like 3/4 throttle or am under a load, there goes the check engine light for a P0403. I clear the code, change vacuum lines, start car let it idle forever... no codes. Then I put it in gear and brake torque it at like 1/3 throttle and ding, theres the light. My question really is this:

The egr has two vacuum looking lines on it. One on the front of it, and one on the back of it. The back one smells like exhaust and gets warm and I don't know where it is supposed to be hooked up. Also, theres a vacuum line coming off of the intake manifold with a 90 degree end on it. So I see where the EGR's front vacuum line plugs in (to some little box behind the intake manifold). What else gets plugged in there? I guess a line diagram would be cool. The chiltons manual didnt have it and under the hood diagram is useless. Please help me out... I can take pics of what I need to know if that would help.

Thank you for your time
-Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Re: EGR and vacuum lines, where do they go?  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

gentzleon is keeping the peace
Hey Bob , sure take some pics of it and I will let you know where to connect them, On the other hand are you thinking of selling that turbo kit? if so I have several projects going here So i might be interested. Post those pics just to reasure the answer.One of those is a actual vacuum hose the other should go into a exhaust port has to have a transducer in between the egr and vacuum. Give me pics of all that you have you might be missing the plastic transducer that has a built in egr solenoid. :-{
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Pretty sure the transducer is there... it has two ports on it from what I can tell... Heres a couple pics. I circled in red what i need to know... so if its red, i dont know what is supposed to be there and I need help. Its hard to see, but the line that hooks up on back side of egr is what i need to know... I never unplugged the one that goes to the front of it... that connects to the transducer i think.

I already sold the turbo kit, sorry :\ Thanks for your help!
-Bob
Old 09-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Theres the other two pics... thanks again!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

the bottom one on the plastic transducer goes to the metal line that smells like exhaust. the vac port on the brake booster that is open goes to the transducer but on the opposite side that the egr vac hose is. That should be it.
I have been trying to post some pics from my shop to help but i cant seem to upload them.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

What about the 2nd pic? That hose goes where? Then also right now I have that 90 degree (end) vacuum line that comes off the intake manifold hooked into the transducer... now where should I put it?

Thanks again
-Bob
Old 09-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

the second line seems to be from the evap system. place the direct line from the booster to one end of the transducer, the other to the egr, bottom to the metal tube on the egr. the other line goes to the line on the intake man i believe as far as i can tell from the pics. i would of been able to send u pics or be more specific but i dont currently have my pt with me it is still in the U.S. Hope this helps if note i will try to send u a diagram.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

I'll try again tomorrow... but a diagram would be REALLY REALLY helpful :)
Old 09-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Well I think the EGR is shot... I keep having this problem no matter what I do so thats my guess. I'm going to order the new EGR and change it and see what happens.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #10
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

sorry about not posting the diagram. I tried but it just would not upload. i wil ltry 2morrow. But before you do buy one test it with a vacuum pump. If it holds vacuum its good also make sure the exhaust ports are not dirty.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #11
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

MX-5 is ready to make a name for oneself
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgagt
I'll try again tomorrow... but a diagram would be REALLY REALLY helpful :)

Does this help?

Refer to page 25-21 of the 2002 PT general service manual.

You will want part number 1-04891985AB
Plan on around $50 at jobber wholesale.
I have 4 of them in a box. They all have defective control solenoids and good working valves.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Yes that helps, but is number 7 on that chart the hard metal line that goes into the manifold? That makes sense... I have the intake manifold vacuum hooked up to number 3 also. I have no more vacuum leaks, and everything else works right, cruise, HVAC, brakes... and the EGR is hooked up as its supposed to be, but as soon as I hit mid throttle after clearing the code, ding there it is again. MX you think I should probably change the EGR huh? The dealership told me $65 for the egr valve and transducer assembly.

Thanks guys!
-Bob
Old 09-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #13
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

If all is connected ok then go for it ,change it. Like mx stated ,these solenoids tend to go bad.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:54 PM   #14
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Alright I'm picking up an EGR on monday and I'll change it then... I will let you know how it goes.

-Bob
Old 09-13-2005, 11:39 PM   #15
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Today I bought the EGR valve / transducer.. was $66. Anyways I changed the transducer just to see if that was it.. drove the car for an hour or so with no check engine light :) So I think that was the problem. I can still change the valve if I absolutely need to... but I think this mighta done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.