P2302 code - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > PT Cruiser Forum > PT Discussions Forum > PT Cruiser Forum - Tech Boards > Tech Questions and Answers

Tech Questions and Answers Here\'s where you can ask your general mechanical/technical questions and the community will do their best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
P2302 code  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

1/4: 0.000

linda1947 is keeping the peace
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser non turbo (45K). I was referred to this site by a person who says MX-5 may be able to help. The code showed that my coil or spark plugs were the culprits. I changed the plugs, tried to start the car, it turned over, but didn't start. After the third try the engine will not even turn over. The battery is fine. I turn the key and nothing. I tried both keys that I have.

What originally happened was, I was on my way to work and a block from my home and the check engine light came on and started blinking. The engine putt putted all the way home. I turned it off then tried to restart it. It started but ran very rough, coughing, sputtering and popping. I pulled the code P2302 only. So, I changed the plugs (my husband and a couple of friends, actually), they were really bad,now it will not turn over. The lights are bright and the alert tone loud and clear while the key is in ignition with door open. We have checked and rechecked all the wires.

Can anyone give me and idea of what to do next? I really cannot afford to take it to a mechanic right now. Thanks for any advise. Sincerely, Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Re: P2302 code  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

My Ride: 01 or the 03GT PT..
1/4: 14.010

Bosch is ready to make a name for oneself
Ignition Coil Secondary #1 Circuit

Simple stupid thing do you have the plug wires nice and secure on bot the plugs and coil.. And do you have them in the correct order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Please don't think I would think any idea was stupid. The plugs are secure and in the correct order. The car turned over when we first tried to start it...then walla..nothing.
Thanks for replying. Linda
Old 11-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

MX-5 is ready to make a name for oneself
P2302 is not a good code.
You may have read P0302 for cylinder #2 misfires. The cause of a #2 misfire is spark plugs and wires. A coil would fail for 2 cylinders, as each coil winding fires 2 spark plugs at the same time.

Now that it won't spin the starter, and you have bright headlights that do not dim when the key is turned, means you need an experienced tech before you really damage a $3000 engine.

I'm not a doctor, so I don't perform surgeries.
I'm not a carpenter, so I don't try to build houses.
I'm a mechanic. I fix cars.

What scares me is the number of untrained, and well meaning, folks who try to work on someone's $25,000 investment. The potential damage risk is certainly worth letting a professional tech work on your primary transportation to your income generating career.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Thanks for answering. It was P2302. I was hoping it was something simple, but then it never seems to be with my luck. I really cannot afford to take it to a mechanic at this time, so I guess it will have to sit for a while.

Do you think maybe the starter went out? Should I try changing the coil? You said "it" won't spin the starter. What is "it"? Thanks for your time. Linda
Old 11-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

MX-5 is ready to make a name for oneself
The "it" I am referring to is the starting system.

The rare code P2302 refers to the ionization time for the spark plugs, wires, and coil.
Once you repair the starter circuit fault, you need to check for spark at the coil. If it has spark, the wires and plugs are at fault. If not, the coil driver circuit should be checked. Coils fail very rarely on Chrysler ignition systems.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

dicept is keeping the peace
Linda, MX5 is usually "spot on". I replaced my coil with a Sceamin Demon coil at 5k miles and I will sell you the factory one for $20 + actual frt. if you want to try that. It's your call. email me directly if interested. <dicept1@aol.com>
good luck, Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.