Vibration during acceleration - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > PT Cruiser Forum > PT Discussions Forum > PT Cruiser Forum - Tech Boards > Tech Questions and Answers

Tech Questions and Answers Here\'s where you can ask your general mechanical/technical questions and the community will do their best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Vibration during acceleration  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

1/4: 0.000

low_pt is keeping the peace
Ok folks, got another issue....:'(

I'm getting a very odd vibration comming from my drivers side wheel area only during acceleration. Decceleration, coasting, and hard breaking dont vibrate. I literaly got an alignment done this morning, but I dont think it's related; I heard a clunk before it started happening.

Some things i've thought of: CV joint, ball joint, and engine mount.

Any suggestions?

-Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Re: Vibration during acceleration  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

ptgeebee is keeping the peace
Whatever it is it doesn't sound good. :'(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Talking Re: Vibration during acceleration  
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

marvin is ready to make a name for oneself
Do you feel it in the steering wheel or from the car itself? Did they rotate your tires?
CV joint is in consant motion so your should feel that all the time. You usually can hear the cv when you take turns at slow speeds to. Try listening for a clunky, lumpy sound (tech talk I know). Like a squre trying to roll.
Good engine mount indicator is if your at a stop light and the whole car is shaking from the engine.
Ball joint- well you should be able to see that.

Truthfully first thing I would do is see if the lugs are tight on your wheel. Second look for a lost wheel weight. Third bring it back and tell them what's up- leave out the thud part.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Lugs was the first thing I checked; tightened them and took it for another trip and still no dice.

I dont feel it in the wheel as much as the whole car shakes...everyone I have talked to (and the PT manual) says that it's probablly the inner CV joint going bad. I'm not sure if they messed it up during the alignment or if i broke it going over some rough snow/ice/lumps in the road when I heard the clunk (we got 2' of snow the other day...)....

I'll let you know what it ends up being; I'm going to try to wiggle the axle when I get home and can take a look at it.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

My Ride: '05 PT Limited, turb
Engine: Turbo lite

QuicksilverDon is ready to make a name for oneself
I'm betting CV joint.:'(
Old 01-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

PurpleEggplant is keeping the peace
Had the same problem..it was my motor mounts! Upper and lower..i got a group buy off the SRT-4 forum site and bought em for 100 bucks + free shipping+same color as the car! I could be wrong but im sure its your motor mounts
Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

djsamuel is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_pt View Post
Lugs was the first thing I checked; tightened them and took it for another trip and still no dice.

I dont feel it in the wheel as much as the whole car shakes...everyone I have talked to (and the PT manual) says that it's probablly the inner CV joint going bad. I'm not sure if they messed it up during the alignment or if i broke it going over some rough snow/ice/lumps in the road when I heard the clunk (we got 2' of snow the other day...)....

I'll let you know what it ends up being; I'm going to try to wiggle the axle when I get home and can take a look at it.
A friend's Caravan had the identical symptoms. It was the CV joint. We changed the halfshaft and all was well. Apparently, under acceleration, the joint would lock in a somewhat "unaligned" position and would result in the vibration/shake. Coasting or decelerating would remove the load from the joint and allow it to properly move as the shaft rotated. It was so bad, that you could actually see the car jumping slightly under acceleration, and we had to slowly accelerate and ease up on the throttle to get the car home on a long trip (when the symptoms started).

Doug
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
~~ PTE ORIG USER ~~

Turned out to be the CV joint. I'm pretty happy now though; got new bushings, wheel bearings, tierod ends, balljoints, axles, and a fresh alignment. It's never driven this well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.