Free CNC machining for all!! - Page 11 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Product Development > Development Lounge

Development Lounge The place to discuss any and all ideas, the "Inception" Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #151
Re: Free CNC machining for all!!  
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
that looks good enough to almost make me want to do that to my last 8v head.
thanks! theres no drilling or tapping required, all you have to do is remove the freeze plug. Its completely reversible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #152
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
If I mail you a section of my shifter handle can you replicate it in aluminum? Once done I want to polish it then have a mopar M or something engraved in it.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #153
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo View Post
If I mail you a section of my shifter handle can you replicate it in aluminum? Once done I want to polish it then have a mopar M or something engraved in it.
i can only offer the cheap machining/free part deal if its something i also want, or that I can sell..I dont think I'd be able to with your shifter handle, so it would be expensive for me to make one for you :( unless its really simple. do you have a pic?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #154

Well the main part that I want is simple. the final rounding I can do myself with a file or my belt sander if your machine cant.

The second part would be a little more complicated I think, but the little plastic part that rotates I can just re-use.

If you could make these I would be willing to pay good money for them. The automatic shift handles are so bland, and the shifter is usually a focal point of a hot-rod.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #155
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Well the main part that I want is simple. the final rounding I can do myself with a file or my belt sander if your machine cant.
If you could make these I would be willing to pay good money for them. The automatic shift handles are so bland, and the shifter is usually a focal point of a hot-rod.

Hmm..I'm totally unfamiliar with automatic shift levers in these cars, I dont think Ive ever even seen one. Im guessing there is a button on the side you push with your right hand thumb, and thats the more complicated second piece in your pics? And the first piece is just a snap on cover?

It looks like the second piece has some moving parts in it.

I dont think a copy out of aluminum will work, I think it needs to be redesigned in aluminum so that the mechanism makes sense and its as easy as possible to machine. Which is a good thing not bad!

I can make a curved surface with a ball mill with a nice finish.

I dont think I can do this project with out an entire lever assembly in hand (i.e. the parts you want to "bling" plus the rod they attach to, so I can redesign the whole thing)

If other people want this too, then it may be a project I can take on and sell for a reasonable price. Otherwise I'd have to charge you a couple hundred for one, because this would take several days to redesign and machine.

Unless you see a simpler solution? I'm looking at this through just your pics, I am not at all familiar with the parts. Tell me if there is an easier way!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #156

Well I don't need this handle until spring so I could just mail the whole thing to you, and you could tell me what you think, If you cant make it I'll paypal you $20 plus return shipping. If you can make it I'll buy it.

P.S. the whole thing is fairly simple, the button just slides in a channel, the rotating piece in the middle hooks when you press it in and pushes down on the shift rod. The top piece just slips over the top and has a screw to hold it on. Originally I wanted a totally new T-handle out of aluminum but I doubt that would be feasible. But you are good at designing things, if you could make a differently designed T-handle for cheaper than the parts I want, I'm down for that too.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #157
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Well I don't need this handle until spring so I could just mail the whole thing to you, and you could tell me what you think, If you cant make it I'll paypal you $20 plus return shipping. If you can make it I'll buy it.

P.S. the whole thing is fairly simple, the button just slides in a channel, the rotating piece in the middle hooks when you press it in and pushes down on the shift rod. The top piece just slips over the top and has a screw to hold it on. Originally I wanted a totally new T-handle out of aluminum but I doubt that would be feasible. But you are good at designing things, if you could make a differently designed T-handle for cheaper than the parts I want, I'm down for that too.
Its a deal! That does sound simpler and I think I have a better grasp of it. If possible, send the rod it attaches to as well so I can be absolutely sure about the design and test it. If thats not realistic, then you can send just the plastic pieces, and I can probably infer the geometry of the rod it attaches to.

Its good you dont need it until spring, because that gives me time to fit it in sooner. This might be more realistic than I thought, and I do need practice on more difficult tasks like this, especially if you are willing to buy one.

I'll PM you my address.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #158

I dont think sending the rod itself is possible because its like the whole shifter under the car, but I will check to see. here are some pics of the handle itself for the time being.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #159
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
I dont think sending the rod itself is possible because its like the whole shifter under the car, but I will check to see. here are some pics of the handle itself for the time being.

okay i think i can figure it out without the rod. can you include the red piece? then i can make sure whatever i make fits right. you only want the two black pieces made out of aluminum, not the red piece, right?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #160

Yeah I was gonna send you the whole thing. and yes just the black pieces out of aluminum.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #161
TD Hardcore User!

DetroitTurbo: I PM'd you my address, go ahead and send the parts. Im interested in doing it now!

Okay I think I know what the next project will be.

I'm thinking a dirt-cheap, all-corners-cut, drop-in 3" swingvalve for our cars, which fits like the stock one and connects the turbine housing all the way to the downpipe.

I believe it would involve the following:

5 bolt flange to mount to the turbine housing
downpipe flange (with spherical cutout for donut, like existing)
formed sheet metal and/or mandrel bent tubing piece to connect the two
the flapper valve itself installed in the 5 bolt flange
O2 sensor bung

If we can find 5 bolt flanges, and downpipe flanges, thats a huge part of the puzzle right there. the rest should be pretty easy.

I have a perfect platform for testing this on, because I need this swingvalve on my daytona, and I can take out my manifold and drop it in quick.

I dont want this to be a multi month project, I want to whip this together so we can have a $99 3" swingvalve as quickly as possible.

Must find flanges, flapper valves, and see what kind of sheet metal or tube can connect them..

Reinforcing bars can be easily welded on to help support the weight of the exhaust, since this will just be sheet metal.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #162
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1996 Dodge 2500 CTD
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

sinfulrelations is keeping the peace
How about a topper for the Weber / Holley carbs, so they people can use the cone style filters?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #163
TD Hardcore User!

can someone check these out and see if they are what we need for this?

downpipe flange:

2 Bolt 3" 76mm Inlet Exhaust Downpipe Testpipe Test Pipe Donut Flange Adapter | eBay

5 bolt flange:
T3 T3/T4 TURBO CHARGER EXHAUST DOWNPIPE FLANGE + ALUMINUM GASKET | eBay

Are these right?

What about flapper valves
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #164
TD Hardcore User!

flapper valve:

from "chinese motor parts" lol!

Turbo Swing Single Valve T3 T4 Staight Arm | eBay
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #165
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
actually I have a part long since gone from being made that Rick D made years ago. It is a solid donut for 3" down pipes. But it is made to the right angle for 2.5" swing valves, not the angle for 3" swing valves which is completely different. It is a solid SS piece that allows the 3" DP to fit into the SV farther and not leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.