Free CNC machining for all!! - Page 19 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Product Development > Development Lounge

Development Lounge The place to discuss any and all ideas, the "Inception" Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #271
Re: Free CNC machining for all!!  
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
Also, all of the mounting holes are on the same plane except the bottom right. The top left one has its own built-in spacer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #272
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Bandido View Post

this help?
Yes those are useful thanks!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #273

Had a few posts last page that might have got lost in the mix, IDK if you missed them.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #274
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo View Post
Also, all of the mounting holes are on the same plane except the bottom right. The top left one has its own built-in spacer.
Okay..heres a plan:

-Mail me your existing plate. Ill measure and copy the mounting hole pattern from it. BTW, is its mounting hole pattern correct? How accurate did it come out? (You dont have the drawing?) If possible, include one of the mounting screws so I can get ones with the right threads.

-The version I will attempt to make will be a 1/4" thick ABS plate with the same outside dimensions as your final adapter, without the mounting tab on the bottom. It will have the same mounting hole pattern. It will have three 2" diameter holes in it for gauges. (thats the right diameter, right?).

-I need to know the location of the edges of the "window" formed by the dash cover on the surface of this adapter, in order to center and space the gauge holes. You could use a sharp pencil and with the adapter and dash cover installed, trace the window the cover makes on the adapter. Then I'll measure it when it gets here.

-I wont be able to make it have a 15 degree angle. It would have to be thicker, and its alot more complex to set up my mill for that. It wont have any reliefs either. Just a simple plate with holes.

-It will use only the three upper/left mounting holes, with spacers and long screws.

-I'll make the first one and ship it to you with your original adapter for free, whether or not I decide to sell them.

Yes I go through the thread very carefully, I got your posts.

One more thing..how come our vendors dont make this? Seems like a pretty simple product to come up with. Alot simpler than pillar pods.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #275

Sounds good to me, will mail the plate tomorrow morning after I scribe the opening on it.

The angle doesn't matter, i mentioned it in passing and he just did it because it was cool.

standard gauge size is 2 1/16" (52mm), but some are a couple thousandths bigger or smaller for some reason. All 3 of my holes are slightly different and fit my 3 different gauges perfectly. if the holes are too small for each person they can always use sandpaper to open them up a bit.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #276

And yeah the mounting holes are exact. Ill include a mounting screw, its your standard sheet metal screw that holds in radios/speakers/bezels in any car.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #277
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
And yeah the mounting holes are exact. Ill include a mounting screw, its your standard sheet metal screw that holds in radios/speakers/bezels in any car.
I'll make this first one whatever hole size you like for the gauges.

And you are okay with me selling whatever I come up with right? Forgot to ask!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #278

Sure dude I dont' need a cut or anything like that. Maybe cut me a little deal on the shifter parts but other than that I'm just happy to help out.

Once you get the finished plate back to me I'll take allot of pics for you so it will be easier to sell.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #279
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Sure dude I dont' need a cut or anything like that. Maybe cut me a little deal on the shifter parts but other than that I'm just happy to help out.

Once you get the finished plate back to me I'll take allot of pics for you so it will be easier to sell.
Awesome thanks!

I think I'll owe GringoBandido a free one too. Give me a little while to make these guys, I'm swamped right now with machining, but I like this idea so I'll do it as soon as I can.

Im letting your shifter project sink in slowly...i dont want to jump into it until i have a solid plan. When you get a chance can you take pictures of the rod it actuates?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #280

Ok, sent out the parts to you, but I took some pictures first. I outlined the hole in the dash cover, and as you can see below my gauge positioning was off. I also sent you the original gauge that goes there so you can take better measurements.

In the above image you can see that its a bit crooked, so the piece you make will have to be re-aligned according to the mounting holes and have the gauge holes centered in the opening. I think this can be achieved by moving up the left mounting holes about 1.5mm. The gauge centering will be a bit trickier but should be easy with the opening scribed in relation to the holes.

In this next image you can see that the opening just barely peeks past the right side, so when you design your new piece keep that in mind. I think when you level the plate to the opening it will fix that.

And here is the shift rod.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #281
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Ok, sent out the parts to you, but I took some pictures first. I outlined the hole in the dash cover, and as you can see below my gauge positioning was off. I also sent you the original gauge that goes there so you can take better measurements.

In the above image you can see that its a bit crooked, so the piece you make will have to be re-aligned according to the mounting holes and have the gauge holes centered in the opening. I think this can be achieved by moving up the left mounting holes about 1.5mm. The gauge centering will be a bit trickier but should be easy with the opening scribed in relation to the holes.

In this next image you can see that the opening just barely peeks past the right side, so when you design your new piece keep that in mind. I think when you level the plate to the opening it will fix that.

And here is the shift rod.
Excellent thanks!

Once I draw it up in solidworks, I'll send you a PDF that you can print at 1:1 scale, tape to some cardboard, and test-install to see if it all looks good. Ill draw the window on it and gauge hole outlines and have hole centers so you can mount it correctly.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #282

Sweet I was trying to figure out a way we could test it but that's perfect!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #283
Boostaholic

Gringo Bandido is keeping the peace
Looking at that 3 gauge bezel you're attempting to make..
I'm wondering if making it a 2 gauge cluster instead would be less work or more?
Not trying to change your idea, just curious as I would like one with only two and would even pay for one.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing you have pictured except omit the last gauge opening on the right-hand side.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #284
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Bandido View Post
Looking at that 3 gauge bezel you're attempting to make..
I'm wondering if making it a 2 gauge cluster instead would be less work or more?
Not trying to change your idea, just curious as I would like one with only two and would even pay for one.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing you have pictured except omit the last gauge opening on the right-hand side.
I should be able to do that no problem. The tool paths for the gauge holes will probably end up being completely independent and I can just change the coordinates. Plus, other people may want a two, or even one gauge version.

Also, Detroit Turbo and Gringo Bandido: I can add other holes really easily if you want LED holes or whatever. Just give me coordinates and diameters. This should be a one tool machining path so I literally just program in the coordinates and let it go.

Getting the mounting hole pattern and window relationship right, and the spacer/standoffs figured out, will be the tricky part of this project. And really, those things should be easy, so, hopefully this goes pretty smoothly.

If I add one tool change, I can draw text or graphics in the front surface too, which should also be easy.

So figure out your LED holes or gauge hole locations or text or whatever you want..you can make the measurements relative to the window.

The text is experimental, I'm not sure what endmill I'll use or what the text will look like, or the minimum font size, so just list everything you might want and I'll try things out.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #285

You may have to take in consideration for the gauge bezels too. The biggest one I've seen is the AEM wideband (my middle gauge). As far as the LEDs go, I'm not sure I even want them anymore, they would have to be done really nice for me to worry about it. Like countersunk behind so they are just behind the faceplate and not sticking out, that way they will light up but not blind you at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.