Free CNC machining for all!! - Page 25 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Product Development > Development Lounge

Development Lounge The place to discuss any and all ideas, the "Inception" Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #361
Re: Free CNC machining for all!!  
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.882

GLHNSLHT2 has really helped outGLHNSLHT2 has really helped out
My goal is to get rid of the stock pump or anything like it all together. I want to mill the intermediate shaft that drives the stock pump down to nothing so it is just capable of holding the timing belt gear which is in turn getting replaced with a Fidanza adjustable gear for weight savings as it is.

Once you convert the system to dry sump you lose all the splash oiling of the gear that drives the stock pump. Warren is even having issues with just a crank scraper. It is not designed to turn crazy rpms. The 7200 my 2.5 was set at for a rev limiter was probably more than it could handle. My Masi is going to be hitting 8grand+ if I can get it set up the way I want it.

The pan should just be to gather the oil that falls down, should have a scraper system and collect the oil. Think of how much of a PITA it's going to be to have to hook up to a pump on the bottom of the block and then have lines running to the pan to get it to the external tank. A real big one.

I know you're trying to do this on the cheap. But I think it's better to be able to have it be easy to install and work with as well. It also needs to have a benefit over stock or it's pointless.

I think something similar to that AMS setup is the way to do it. Just hang it under the intermediate shaft for the axles. Have an adapter that bolts to the front of the crank for a belt gear and go.

On your end just make the bracket, and crank adapter and let people find deals on pumps on Ebay. A reservoir tank might be possible to do as part of the kit as well.

Just my opinions. But I think we need reliability as well as performance above cost. You don't want to have people buy your stuff cause it's cheap then for some reason or another have the engine explode because you're experimenting with a design that isn't proven.
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #362
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1
1/4: 0.000

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
My goal is to get rid of the stock pump or anything like it all together. I want to mill the intermediate shaft that drives the stock pump down to nothing so it is just capable of holding the timing belt gear which is in turn getting replaced with a Fidanza adjustable gear for weight savings as it is.

Once you convert the system to dry sump you lose all the splash oiling of the gear that drives the stock pump. Warren is even having issues with just a crank scraper. It is not designed to turn crazy rpms. The 7200 my 2.5 was set at for a rev limiter was probably more than it could handle. My Masi is going to be hitting 8grand+ if I can get it set up the way I want it.

The pan should just be to gather the oil that falls down, should have a scraper system and collect the oil. Think of how much of a PITA it's going to be to have to hook up to a pump on the bottom of the block and then have lines running to the pan to get it to the external tank. A real big one.

I know you're trying to do this on the cheap. But I think it's better to be able to have it be easy to install and work with as well. It also needs to have a benefit over stock or it's pointless.

I think something similar to that AMS setup is the way to do it. Just hang it under the intermediate shaft for the axles. Have an adapter that bolts to the front of the crank for a belt gear and go.

On your end just make the bracket, and crank adapter and let people find deals on pumps on Ebay. A reservoir tank might be possible to do as part of the kit as well.

Just my opinions. But I think we need reliability as well as performance above cost. You don't want to have people buy your stuff cause it's cheap then for some reason or another have the engine explode because you're experimenting with a design that isn't proven.
Sounds good, if you buy the pump and pullies and send them to me, I'll whip up a bracket and pulley adapter for the crank. Or you could buy them and mock up a bracket out of plywood or something, and send me the info, and I'll make something for you to try out. I could make the crank pulley adapter blind as long as know how far out it needs to be. I think I could actually machine a round tooth pulley from scratch on the sherline, especially while I have my 4th axis, but if there is an off the shelf one that would be preferred.

Once we establish the pump can be mounted and driven, then we can move on to the oil pan and reservoir tank. Although I would really like to start on those now, but that means downtime for my car, so its going to be awhile before I can do those. But the bracket I can do with just unbolting stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #363
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
The belt driven pumps are far more reliable as you can inspect the belt for wear. There's a reason they don't use electric pumps in a racing application.
Just the fuel pumps, and if those die under boost thats at least as bad as your oil pump dying
Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #364
Legendary Driver

Now here's something I found interesting.

Drive EVERYTHING off the belt. Yes I know there's no alternator in the pic, but just wanted to show it to show that maybe everything can be driven off the same belt.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #365
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
good pic

if some kind of inlet houseing was made to go where the water pump attaches to the block , the lower rad hose could be routed to it with an inline water pump leaveing the orig water pump location open
some brackets to mount the oil pump are of course needed but so would be somthing to support the bottom alternator mount / adjust bracket
Old 12-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #366
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
Quote:
Now here's something I found interesting.

Drive EVERYTHING off the belt. Yes I know there's no alternator in the pic, but just wanted to show it to show that maybe everything can be driven off the same belt.
Looks like a timing NIGHTMARE!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #367
Legendary Driver

how is it any harder to time than stock?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #368
Legendary Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
good pic

if some kind of inlet houseing was made to go where the water pump attaches to the block , the lower rad hose could be routed to it with an inline water pump leaveing the orig water pump location open
some brackets to mount the oil pump are of course needed but so would be somthing to support the bottom alternator mount / adjust bracket
Well, maybe that's something Accenell should devote his time too. Getting rid of the stock waterpump. Making a housing that will hold a T-stat on the block inlet and reverse cooling these engines. Probably see more hp from reverse cooling things than from a dry sump. R

So Reverse cooling stage 1 and dry sump would be stage 2 :)
Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #369

Quote:
how is it any harder to time than stock?
All the extra stuff in the way, and it has the dohc which I'm assuming is even harder to get right. I had enough issues getting the timing right with just 3 pulleys and a tensioner and nothing in the way.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #370
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Well, maybe that's something Accenell should devote his time too. Getting rid of the stock waterpump. Making a housing that will hold a T-stat on the block inlet and reverse cooling these engines. Probably see more hp from reverse cooling things than from a dry sump. R

So Reverse cooling stage 1 and dry sump would be stage 2 :)
I think we can do this without moving the water pump, or at the very least its worth an attempt.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #371
Legendary Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo View Post
All the extra stuff in the way, and it has the dohc which I'm assuming is even harder to get right. I had enough issues getting the timing right with just 3 pulleys and a tensioner and nothing in the way.
Well you don't have to time the oil and water pump so that comes off just like the belt on an 8v.

The timing belt for the gears is actually easier as you pin the cam gears at 0 then put your belt on and line up the intermediate shaft and crank. No guessing if the cams are at 0 like an 8v.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #372

Quote:
The timing belt for the gears is actually easier as you pin the cam gears at 0 then put your belt on and line up the intermediate shaft and crank. No guessing if the cams are at 0 like an 8v.
good to know!

What is the best way of lining up the intermediate shaft and crank? I use a straight-edge from the middle of the pulley bolts and line up the marks with that, but it ends up being off a tooth half the time.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #373
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo View Post
good to know!

What is the best way of lining up the intermediate shaft and crank? I use a straight-edge from the middle of the pulley bolts and line up the marks with that, but it ends up being off a tooth half the time.
I think last time I did this I used the distributor to fine-tune the the intermediate shaft location. If the rotor points to #1 when everything is at TDC, and the distributor flat edge is close to parellel with the engine left-right..then you are good to go. From that point it doesnt really matter if the int shaft is perfect or not, because you have maximized the amount of rotation you can adjust the distributor.

Right?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #374
Legendary Driver

I use a straight edge or string or vacuum line pulled across the centerline of the pulleys as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #375
TD New Guy

My Ride: 2006 Tacoma

geezer is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TurboTona View Post
heres something perfect that alot of us could use is a adapter plate to put behind the thermostat housing with threaded holes for gauge senders or turbo lines

or oil filter adapters made for our cars so we can put a front mount oil cooler on

Transdapt used to make a remote oil filter/cooler. The dealer sold me one when I bought my glhs new, through MoPar Performance. Had to use a shorter filter and notch the fan shroud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.