Free CNC machining for all!! - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Product Development > Development Lounge

Development Lounge The place to discuss any and all ideas, the "Inception" Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Free CNC machining for all!!  
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

acannell is keeping our cars running
Okay Im sorry if that title is misleading, and I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong area (not sure where it should go)..but hear me out:

I will machine your part on a 3-axis CNC mill for FREE. Whats the catch?

The catch (es):

-I have to like it enough to want one for myself. I.e. I dont want to make just one of something and never see it again. It needs to be something I end up wanting one of too.

-if it needs ALOT of material, youll have to chip in for that.

-it must be turbo dodge, or at least modified turbo car related. i.e. no keyring size replicas of your great grandpas wood leg

-no cosmetic stuff (logos, text, etc..) BORING..at least for now.

-my mill is small, its a sherline cnc. so i cant port heads. but with some creativity, i could probably make an intake manifold flange or similar.

The "good" catches:

-I have software that can create toolpaths for extremely complicated 3d profiles very easily. See pics.

-Complicated setups are okay with me, this is for practice and to improve my skills making something worthwhile. I.e., I also have a tig welder, plasma cutter, bandsaw, hole saws, drill press, etc...if it needs multiple operations and jigs thats fine, within reason. In fact, my mill head can be rotated in several directions, even horizontal, and I can do CNC lathe operations on it too.

This is also a good opportunity for the turbo dodge world to get some unusual parts that a real vendor might not want to spend time on...I'm just drawing a blank and cant think of any..there must be something right?

The material can be plastic or metal, and can be steel, aluminum, whatever...just like a full size mill.

I will make all the actual cad drawings in solidworks and the toolpaths in cam software, make all the jigs, figure out the setup, make test runs, etc....I'll do ALL the work...I just need ideas...I want a fun project, and you get a free part.

If its something you are worried about me taking and selling, you probably shouldn't tell me about it, because I probably WILL do that if its got potential. If its something you just want one of and dont care what I do with the design, then thats probably more appropriate. In other words, if this is some great commercial idea, you should probably spend the cash and have a machine shop make you a prototype with a signed NDA. Dont tell me about in that case. :)

The pics are of the mill, a half-egg shape I made in aluminum with only about 5 minutes of work in solidworks and meshcam, and the meshcam toolpath that made it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Re: Free CNC machining for all!!  
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
been looking into a upper 2 piece flange for a custom upper plenum for a 2 piece intake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TurboTona View Post
been looking into a upper 2 piece flange for a custom upper plenum for a 2 piece intake
I think this person makes very good ones, is this what you are talking about?

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/...um-flange.html
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 91 Red Spirit R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII 16V

Simsy is keeping the peace
a metal clutch pedal positioner and adjuster...please! my current pressure plate is toheavy and keeps stripping the teeth on mine
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Boostaholic

My Ride: 85 GLH
Engine: 2.4 TIII

lengel is ready to make a name for oneself
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TurboTona View Post
THANKS !
Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Das Beste Oder Nichts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lengel View Post
THANKS !
you said you were out of them
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
a metal clutch pedal positioner and adjuster...please! my current pressure plate is toheavy and keeps stripping the teeth on mine
hmmmm...

out of curiousity, what pressure plate do you have? i have a 90 daytona with a yellow turbos unleashed pressure plate with about 22000 miles on it and the adjuster still seems to be okay..are you sure thats whats stripping it?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 87 Shelby daytona T2
Engine: 2.5 bored 0.20
1/4: 13.785

cawcislo is keeping the peace
How about some simple items that people may want out of aluminum? Ie battery hold down piece or distributor hold down piece or oil pump block off plate (pre common block engines) upper rad bolt mounting brackets, Clutch cable support bracket?

Perhaps a power steering bracket that allows more room for custom exhaust downpipes (which can contend with the factory power steering bracket)? Perhaps CNC program to cut a factory AC alternator bracket and make it a custom non/ac bracket for the alternator?

Custom intake manifold (everyone one wants one of those for cheap) :-)

Just tossing out some ideas.
87 Daytona Shelby Z 2.5 T2-> cummins cooler, 3" exhaust, S60, forged venolias, Shel-game custom 3 bar cal 18 psi... ported +1 head Lookin to go low 13's.. extra lean - need a good tune and hopefully the new 4 puck holds up.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawcislo View Post
How about some simple items that people may want out of aluminum? Ie battery hold down piece or distributor hold down piece or oil pump block off plate (pre common block engines)?

Perhaps a power steering bracket that allows more room for custom exhaust downpipes (which can contend with the factory power steering bracket)? Perhaps CNC program to cut a factory AC alternator bracket and make it a custom non/ac bracket for the alternator?

Custom intake manifold (everyone one wants one of those for cheap) :-)

Yes thank you! Please keep throwing ideas out, we'll find one that sticks and it will be a very good thing I think.

For the battery hold down, distrib hold down, and block off plate: Would these items improve on the original somehow or be more bling purposed? They are realistically in the capabilities of the mill.

Believe me, I totally get the power steering bracket need. My header had to do crazy things to get out of the way of that bracket and I still ended up trimming the bracket to get a little more room, and its still really tight and could use some more breathing room right next to that exhaust primary. But If I were going to make a new bracket from scratch, I'd make it out of round bar welded together for airflow and simplicity, and it would be invincible. A CNC version would probably not be justified or provide any benefit, I think?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
TD Hardcore User!

oh and the ac bracket is too big for the dinky mill
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
TD Hardcore User!

sorry also missed the clutch and rad support brackets..are those improvements or bling based? id really like to make something thats an improvement.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Boostaholic

My Ride: 88 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2 TII

DartGTS340 is keeping the peace
Lots of good ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawcislo View Post
... oil pump block off plate (pre common block engines)...

Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 91 Red Spirit R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII 16V

Simsy is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by acannell View Post
hmmmm...

out of curiousity, what pressure plate do you have? i have a 90 daytona with a yellow turbos unleashed pressure plate with about 22000 miles on it and the adjuster still seems to be okay..are you sure thats whats stripping it?
and old TU red plate.its heavy as heck! very heavy pedal
Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Das Beste Oder Nichts

radio delete plates for use with 2 1/16" gauges for the racers out there if thats not to big
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Hybrid Booster

banger68 is keeping the peace
I know this is more cosmetic, but I will throw it out there. The interior door handle trim for 84-89 Daytona. These constantly have broken tabs and there are not many replacements. Aluminum version would solve the problem ... mostly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.