Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Rampage Steering Rack Question

748 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  multicartual2 
#1 ·
I got a 83 Rampage AT. The power steering rack is shot. I would like to change to a manual rack. Will it bolt right on? I heard the splines on the column shaft might be different. Any info would be great. Thanks.

#2 ·
Correct, the splines and mount clamp are different.

There is a 1985 Horizon getting parted out in Regina with a manual rack

advertised on the site.

Thanks
Randy

#6 ·
you'll need to change the u-joint / swevel thingy on the end of the shaft , not the entire collum

I think by mount bushing , he means the rubbers in the straps that hold the rack to the crossmember
I did the swap , manual to power - I think one of the straps and the rubber in it were different
try to get the mounting straps & rubbers and the swevel / u joint with the rack if it's comming from something that's still together with all it's related parts

#8 ·
I can tell you, doing it in a K body isn't fun either. You'll definitely want a helper.

The U-joint on the end of the steering shaft is held in by a roll pin. It is also pressed and/or seized on the end of the shaft. Not sure which, I just know it was a pain to remove it. Might need to apply liberal amounts of heat and wookie to get it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.