Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Cooking on the motor

802 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  corelokt 
#1 ·
Stupid alt belt loosened the first time I decide to give it a run with over 5000 rpm shifts. Dead batts and a boiled radiator, but at least my temp gauge stayed normal.

#2 ·
So like the tension loosened or it spit off the belt?

I know that if the pulleys are not in good alignment they will often squeal and nothing you do will fix it permanently and they will often spit the belt off at higher RPMs. The rubber alternator bushings also do wear out or go flat on one side that cocks the alternator just enough to make it noisey.

If the tension just loosened, well glad you caught it in time and hopefully didn't over-cook the engine, you've put a lot of time and sweat into that beast!

#4 ·
Well a few turns of the wrench and snug up the pinch bolt and you should be fine.

Typical L-body compatible bracket for Nippon Denso alternators.

The original L-body fat body alternator compared to the smaller but more powerful and easier to adjust tension nippon setup and the L-body compatible bracket.

Attachments

#5 ·
If you boiled the radiator, but the temp gauge stayed "normal", I'd say you have a temp gauge issue... The motor will be hotter than the radiator... The temp gauge wont work if it's not submersed in coolant. I'm guessing you boiled off more than the radiator...

#8 ·
So, can we assume that after this belt episode, you re-filled the cooling system, and burped it?

Not doubting the mechanical gauge works, just telling you, if it didn't show above normal temps when this happened and the radiator boiled over, you didn't have any coolant in the head either. A temp gauge(mechanical or electric) doesn't read right if the probe isn't covered in coolant. Just watch your engine very close over the next few days. It may be OK, or it may have damaged the head gasket. I'd be looking every day for signs of coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.