1990 dodge spirit 2.5 turbo need help on next upgrade idea - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1989 dodge Daytona
1/4: 0.000

1990 dodge spirit 2.5 turbo need help on next upgrade idea

Hello I know the title of this sounds weird I didn't know how to word it. I've had this car for a while now and I know all the stuff I want to do to it. But since I don't have a ton of cash to just dump into it all at once I have to do all of this step by step. So far it's mostly stock but strong. I did raise the boost to 13 lbs and put in an intercooler. I have hit the over boost shut down once before. So my question is now that I have alittle money to spend what order should I be doing things? Should my next upgrade be an adjustable fuel pressure regulater? Or the 3 bar map sensor? I just don't know what to do next while keeping it drivable. All together I want to have the 255lph fuel pump, 3 bar map sensor, +40s, wide band, stage 5 cal, I'm just wondering in what order should I be doing this stuff? While keeping it drivable. Could I get the stage 5 cal now? And run it with my stock fuel pump and injectors and everything and add the injectors fuel pump ect as I go? I know this might be kind of weird but I drive the car every day so I have to do this stuff on the weekends and keep it drivable. Thanks td!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 08:29 AM
TD Extreme User!

Re: 1990 dodge spirit 2.5 turbo need help on next upgrade idea

Wideband first.

Then fue pump.

3 bar map, cal, injectors have to be installed together.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Level 4 Supporter

Induct: Turbo

The most common cause for shut down is lack of fuel pressure. These suggestions are made ssuming your engine is well tuned and in good running order; has good compression and leak down test numbers. Overboosting an old, worn, tired engine is a sure way to turn it into a hand gernade.

Here is the typical order of operations I use:

1. Upgrade and overhaul the fuel system. You are probably shutting down because the pump is tired.
a. Make sure the tank is clean
b. Replace every rubber hose. Use FUEL INJECTION HOSE and FI CLAMPS
c. Replace the fuel pump. 190 lph is probably plenty.
d. Have the injectors cleaned. Mr Injector - Home
e. Replace the fuel filter

2. Swap the Mitsu for a Garrett with a 2.5 inch swing valve
a. You can run the same boost levels (13-14 psi) with better results because the Garrett moves more volume, spins slower and doesn't create as much heat as the Mitsu. It's not all about pressure.)

3. Install a free flowing 2.5 inch exhaust, you should already have a 2.5 inch down pipe. A ported exhaust manifold is a plus.

4. Install a good cap and rotor along with a GOOD set of ignition wires. New plugs too if you haven't changed those already. (RN12YC)

5. Install a Mopar Performance SBEC for better spark and fuel curves. (P4529998 auto, P4529999 manual)

6. Use a manual boost controller to dial in the boost.

7. Add air/fuel and boost gauges so you can see what is going on.

post #4 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 10:13 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

I would like to correct something here...
A weak fuel pump will not cause overboost shutdown.
Overboost shutdown occurs when the controller see's more than 1 Bar of positive pressure (14.5 PSI).
If you have a weak pump you will run lean, possibly have a detonation issue all of which will result in a Lack of power which will limit boost, not increase it.

Although I do agree 100% about the Wideband and improving the Fuel System capability before increasing boost that is not causing your overboost issue.

Overboost is being caused by a Wastegate Solenoid, Wastegate or Vacuum Line issue and I would suggest correcting the issue before going further since overboost shutdown can lead to a blown headgasket or broken piston ring lands.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

38 Years ASE Certified
post #5 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Level 4 Supporter

Is he having actual overboost shut down, or is it shutting down because of another issue?
Codes?
post #6 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 12:06 PM
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
Is he having actual overboost shut down, or is it shutting down because of another issue?
Codes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G body guy View Post
I have hit the over boost shut down once before.
^^
post #7 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Ok I'll get a wide band first. Then the fuel pump . And since the cal, injectors,and 3 bar map sensor all has to go in together I'll have to get those things all in one shot. What about the ajustable fuel pressure regulator? Should I get that with the pump? Or does it matter? Also i failed to mention in the last post about the reason I hit over boost shut down. It was right when I got my boost controller hookd up and I was dialing it in . It took a couple laps on the freeway to get it were I felt it was safe. And when I had it turnd up the highest is when I believe I hit the over boost shut down. Right before it happend my check engine light came on. Then it totally lost power and shuttered like crazy. So I turnd it down to about 13 lbs. the check engine light went off and all was well. I e had it set that way for a couple months now and she seems happy. So I guess I'll be getting me a wide band first. I would like to know my a/ f numbers while upgrading. are thay easy to hook up? Also the gm 3 bar map sensor is sold at fwd performance for our cars does that map sensor plug rite in to my harness? Or do you have to splice in a new pig tail? Thanks for your help!
post #8 of 20 Old 02-12-2017, 01:16 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 89 LeBaron 2.5 Turbo

The 3 bar map will plug right in, you just have to cut some slits into the connector.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 AM
Fox
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 shelby csx
Engine: 2.2 Turbo IV

i would try to squeeze in 3" exhaust into that list somewhere after the fuelpump. i kept the stock boost levels and stock turbo, put on the exhaust and it really makes the car more responsive
post #10 of 20 Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5

Unless you have made the swap and not mentioned it here, you should not be pushing the limits of the stock Mitsubishi turbo on your car. It's already out of its element shoving 13psi into that "big" 2.5 liter. Your first upgrade from here should be a Garrett or larger turbo before you even think about breaking into 3 bar territory. A wideband will be desired either way, so that's a good use of your funds too (especially since you've taken boost control away from the computer). DO NOT run a 3 inch exhaust with the Mitsu turbo. It will overrun the wastegate and you'll have boost creep issues. Do the 3 inch when you put the Garrett on.

-Brian

90 Daytona Shelby
96 Jeep XJ
post #11 of 20 Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII, SMEC, .60/.63, 2-piece, 52mm, no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

I like ajakeski's list except the order is a bit off ;)

souunds like you already have a MBC otherwise that's first ;) then

1, Ignition overhaul (his 4)
2. gauges (his 7)
3. fuel system (his 1)
altho until yur boosing past 14 your not exceeding stock pump so I'd say pump upgrade when it dies or you switch to 3-bar / larger injectors
4. 2.5" exhaust (his 3)

at this point you are at a crossroads.

to me , more power in a car not equipped to handle it is no fun, so focus on the car's suspension & brakes now:

all your brakes & shocks/struts are Fresh.
Also any original rubber bushings in e.g. lower control arms, sway bars, engine & trans mounts etc should be considered bagged and replaced, using poly as applicable.
fresh tires have WAY more grip than old ones,,
etc.

then look at a garrett upgrade along with ported exh mani, PT lifters & conicals,..

post #12 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 04:18 PM
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
to me , more power in a car not equipped to handle it is no fun, so focus on the car's suspension & brakes now
Absolutely this. Focus on getting the base ready for more power. Maybe look at the transmission too if you haven't yet. You'll want a better clutch/pp combo before you make any significant power. Maybe even a trans R&R and/or an OBX.

The Garrett should definitely be at the front of the list before you push big boost. When you crest 3 bar, then you'll need the fuel, MAP, and ECU to support it.

The PT lifter upgrade is cheap and worth it for a stock or modded car.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-15-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Ok thanks guys! I'm gonna go with the bigger turbo and wide and first. Also Somme brought up shocks breaks and bushings. I would love to poly bushing the whole car. So what garret will bolt up to my car? Can I use a garret out of a t1 log type intake car?
post #14 of 20 Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

I do have a set of pt lifters for the car. I know that need to be shimed to fit. Does anyone know the size washers to use? Or can you just buy a few different sizes and eye ball witch ones look right? Or does it require a specific size?
post #15 of 20 Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G body guy View Post
I do have a set of pt lifters for the car. I know that need to be shimed to fit. Does anyone know the size washers to use? Or can you just buy a few different sizes and eye ball witch ones look right? Or does it require a specific size?
You need specific washers that are hardened. The size is important. Go to the FAQ section and look at the Pope's thread on the PT Lifter mod. He gives the part numbers in there.

And yes, the log Garrett turbo will technically work. But, you'll need to modify it for intercooling. Take a look at thedodgegarage.com and flip through the turbo database. Gary D has good info on what needs to be done to convert it to the '87+ blow through setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page