Vacuum Lines - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-17-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86GLHS
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Vacuum Lines

Trying to determine which type of line to use.Nylon is stock the alternative is polyurethane which has a much higher melting point.But I'm not sure about bendability?Anyone have any experience with the polyurethane tubing?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

Re: Vacuum Lines

poly has a lower melting point but greater "bendability" I use poly on all my stuff, and all my friends stuff. The only time I've had an issue with it is when it touches the cylinder head on a 95+ degree day. As long as I keep it away from the cylinder head it works great.

Poly Temp. Range
-40F to +160F
(-40C to +71C)

polyurethane (PUR) tubing is strong, flexible, and offers superior kink resistance.

Nylon Temp. Range
-60F to +200F
(-51C to +93C)

Nylon tubing is used for applications which require higher pressures and superior heat/chemical resistance. It is somewhat less flexible than PUR, but is strong, lightweight,

post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86GLHS

You're right(lol) I didn't have my reading glasses on.I thought 500 was melting point.....it actually was 500' rolls.Thanks

post #4 of 6 Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby

Garage

For soft lines, I've been using Neoprene rubber and/or silicone lines. Neoprene is good into the low 200s F. Silicone is much higher (200's C). Neoprene is fairly firm but still flexible. Silicone is very flexible so you have to use thicker walled stuff to keep it from balooning/collapsing and kinking. Both are easy to come by through industrial supply houses, etc.

For hard lines, Nylon works fine. There is also Acetal, which is very similar to Nylon.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2

I always use Nylon hose which is also commonly used in air brake applications. It is high pressure rated, has excellent hi-temp, oil resistance and is quite flexible. Available in a variety of sizes, I have completely rebuilt TI and TII vacuum harness cars with this stuff. It's great for turbo cars where engine heat is a major issue over the intake where temps frequently get to 200*F or more. At these higher temps the inexpensive PVC (poly) hose commonly sold at the auto parts store easily melts. The poly hose is typically not the emmissions grade hose that they also sometimes sell in a blister package or plastic bag, like 3' at a pack. That is or should be vinyl hose.

I get my stuff at: EVCO House of Hose in Salt Lake City, UT
You can get it almost anywhere they sell air brake tubing...like: Hose and Fittings, Etc | Parker hydraulics & pneumatics in CA & NV
It is also easily found on eBay...it's made by Edelmann
Summit Racing sells it but its special order

Just search eBay or Google for "PFT-4A"

The PFT part is the type of hose, there is type 'A' and type 'B'. You want type A. The reinforced type 'B' actually has a lower burst pressure....but it's still something like 1200PSI.

Parflex Tubing (PFT) Nylon tubing designed for use in tractor, trailer and other mobile air brake, instrumentation and air accessory systems.
Meets SAE specification J844 Type A or B, D.O.T. FMVSS106, and performance requirements as specified in SAE specification J1131.

Heat and light stabilized seamless single wall extruded nylon tubing, available in sizes 1/8 (-2), 5/32 (-2.5), 3/16 (-3), 1/4 (-4) and 5/16 (-5).

This tubing conforms to SAE specification J844 type A.
The A refers to non-reinforced tubing.
Temperature Range: -40F to +200F (-40C to +93C).
Maximum Working Pressure: 150 PSI.
Meets D.O.T. FMVSS 106 (Sizes 2 and 2.5 not listed in FMVSS 106).

The sizes that I typically order are:
PFT-4A (1/4) / Nylon air brake tubing black @ $.47/ft. I buy 10' at a time or more

PFT-2.5A (5/32) / Nylon air brake tubing black @ $.72/ft. I buy 10' at a time or more

Boost on...
Steven Seale

QUICK-FIT SHIFT RODS★ ~ ★A525/A555 CONVERSION BRACKET
QUICK-SHIFTER ★ ~ ★REBUILT TRANSMISSIONS★ ~ ★PT LIFTERS AND SHIMS
PROUD TO BE AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF THE TURBO DODGE ENTHUSIAST COMMUNITY
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

Steve, just and FYI for your future purchases and since this subject is spanning 2 different websites and multiple threads

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...bing_-a-_Hoses

They have both nylon and poly.

bend radius on poly is .2" and nylon is .5"

Full specs can be found on that site

Along with a 10.5 cents per foot price on 5/32 line and 19 cents per foot on the 1/4 line

I prefer the poly over the nylon. I do every turbo car I run across in it. The nylon get's hard and brittle with heat as seen in our cars with factory nylon tubing. I also have super tight bends on some of my lines. If you have air around the poly (i.e. not touching your 180+ degree cylinder head) they never melt and remain flexible over the long haul. But with rolls at that site being so cost effective I guess you could just rebuild the harness every few years :)

Pics of some of my vac harness'

Before:

After:

Full factory 88 T2 harness before selling the car.

And the way I like to run my 2 piece setups. Notice the tight bend to the FPR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page